Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Videogame News

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

While I fall squarely in the fucKonami crowd, news that the upcoming Castlevania Anniversary Collection will get a free update to include the Japanese versions is at least a positive step.

Still don't like 'em, but credit where credit is due.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Their f2p picross game is also good!
Joshihatsumitsu

The future is streaming (and motion control, and VR)!

The early days of Microsoft and Sony working together for game streaming? What's next? Mario and Sonic in a game together?!? :o
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

How’s that time machine coming along, granddad? :D

I’m just assuming you’re working on a one way ticket back to 1982 here ;)
Joshihatsumitsu

Chopper wrote: May 18th, 2019, 8:05 am How’s that time machine coming along, granddad? :D

I’m just assuming you’re working on a one way ticket back to 1982 here ;)
How insulting! I'm actually aiming for 1994! Just need a new DeLorean... Marty!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’d forgotten about it, but the upcoming, extremely pretty, new fighting game from ArcSys based on the Granblue Fantasy RPG has a 3 day closed beta at the end of the month.

You’ve still got a few days to register (PS4 only) if that interests anyone.

https://versus.granbluefantasy.jp/sp/en/
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The Grid series is getting a reboot! A nice surprise. I expected the series was dead. This was always the Codemasters series that I was in to, so I'm glad it's coming back. It looks like they're going in the right direction in terms of what sorts of cars and tracks they're focusing on, and I heard Codies are on a bit of a roll right now when it comes to how polished their handling models are, so hopefully that will be good. I've got a couple of worries though. Although it looks pretty, it doesn't really have any sort of visual identity to the aesthetic. I always liked the strong mood the original game had, and this one doesn't really look like it has any of that. Also on the game's website there's a conspicuous lack of any mention of a drift mode. I would be a bit disappointed if that was left out. It may have been a bit hit-and-miss through the series, but it was a lot of fun in the first game. It would be a shame to not get another chance at that.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Dirt Rally has the BEST car handling and representation of a rally game I’ve ever played.

It was remarkable.

I’d be keen to get my hands on anything they are doing with a track based circuit game and see what they do with that.

Although flat out driving will always be less involving than the throttle control associated with rally games.

Bring it on.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

We've got some gameplay of Grid, and honestly it doesn't look great. The handling looks pretty flat missing the feeling of the original, and the damage modelling looks pretty bad too. Two huge crashes in that first race that did barely anything. The bigger crash seemed to do the least as well. According to a post on Reddit, there's no drift mode at all either. Do yeah, that's mostly killed any interest I had already. Going to take a lot to win me back.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

First DLC trailer for Mortal Kombat 11. HE SAID THE THING, FROM THE MOVIE!

(I’ve been loving how 11 is embracing the movie at last. There were already a lot of direct movie references in the game, and now we have actual movie Shang Tsung looking like the movie Shang Tsung, voiced by the guy that played him in the movie.)

Spawn... I’m kinda meh on. I know he has lots of fans, but that painfully 90s edgelord thing isn’t for me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The Megadrive mini looks like a great lineup of games. A few on there I wish were on the collection that came out recently on current-gen (the one that if I'm honest I regret picking up already on PS4 now I have a Switch, doh!)

But stuff like Castle and World Of Illusion, Earthworm Jim and a few others on this mini edition would have been great to have on the collection. There seem to be a few games that never actually got an official release too, which is nice.

Tempted as I am, I won't be getting one. They do look good, though. I suppose it all comes down to emulation, but seeing as it's M2 then I'm sure they won't go far wrong. It's about time the Megadrive got a decent package after years of terrible quality knockoffs.

http://megadrivemini.sega.com/
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

As with the SNES Classic, my dilemna is that I want one, but I specifically want the PAL version. I'm British but live in the US, and can't bring myself to buy the 'Genesis', it just doesn't have the same appeal, nostalgia wise.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I might have picked up the Mega Drive Mini if they didn't just have that $7.50 sale for the Sega Collection on Steam a few weeks back. If that collection didn't exist, then Sega would have got me!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Frostpunk is coming to PS4 and XONE 'later this year'.

It's a game I've had trouble pulling the trigger on, on PC. Yesterday they gave me a 50% off voucher for owning Banished, but I can't help thinking, with the Steam sale around the corner, that it's a trap.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: June 5th, 2019, 8:00 am Frostpunk is coming to PS4 and XONE 'later this year'.
Great news. One of the very few PC style strategy games that interests me, and my stone age laptop obviously can't run it. Looking forward to it!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

THQ announced Darksiders: Genesis! This one is a spin-off prequel of sorts, and it looks like a Diablo-esque isometric dungeon crawler. Also has co-op, and you can play as either War or Strife, who is getting their first playable appearance here. Strife uses guns, so playing as them will be a little like a twin-stick shooter it seems. Also this game is being made by Airship Syndicate, who are the other studio made up of ex-Vigil staff, which is where Joe Madureira ended up. Really cool to see those guys come back to the series too. The music sounds somewhat like Jesper Kyd's word on Darksiders 2, which bodes well. I really like the look of this game as a little side-adventure, and I hope it could mean that both Gunfire and Airship get to collaborate when making a Darksiders 4 as a bombastic finale for the series.

THQ also announced a remaster of Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom the previous day too. I hear that game actually has a bit of a cult following, and people are excited about it coming back. It also looks like this remaster is going to be in the style of a full graphical overhaul like the recent Crash and Spyro remasters/remakes. There should be another final announcement from THQ today too, but Darksiders seems worthy of being pointed out in particular. I hope there's not long to wait for release.
James

Post by James »

I suppose Darksiders: Genesis also means that Strife will have his own solo outing, so Darksider IV could be a four horsemen game?

I guess we'll see!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I think this is supposed to be "Strife's game", even though he isn't the only one playable. Maybe they thought that him using guns meant his gameplay style would be too different to the others to really work as a mainline game. But yeah, I would expect after this for the 4th main game, they would finally make good on that ending in 1 and bring them all together for a multi-character adventure.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is really cool!

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/06 ... next-week/

Rocket League goes all 80s!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

This is quite the thing...

Little bit of the Scott Pilgrim game about it, especially on the soundtrack side...

https://wayforward.com/wayforward-unlea ... s-details/