Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

FemalePheromones wrote: May 19th, 2019, 8:52 pm I've had Game Pass since September and never paid full price.
I’m currently working through a deal where I got 12 months for £43.99, so that’s £3.66 a month.

As you say, there are deals from Microsoft themselves or the likes of Amazon popping up all over the place all the time, so really you should never be paying the full £7.99 (although I’d happily pay that personally for what you get).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

At some point I’ll be switching to the combined gold account with gamepass, I assume I can’t do that until my next gold renewal though which is in, erm, Feb 2020 I think.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

More rumours to suggest that a Fable 4 is on the way. This one seems pretty solid, since it comes from Microsoft's own streaming platform, Mixer. Apparently the game showed up in auto-fill search results, presumably because they already have the game in their database.

https://screenrant.com/fable-4-mixer-e3 ... ouncement/
countstex

Post by countstex »

Surprised to see so many people not interested in GamePass. For me, it's an essential part of owning an XBOX. No the XBOX is my primary system, as I've stated many places, but even if it wasn't paying the relatively small fee for all the MS first party games is value enough, and then I've been able to try out some excellent games like Mutant Year Zero, Avon Colony, Surviving Mars, and then replay some remasters of games I've already paid for once such as the Batman games. I find it hard to imagine not seeing the value in it, without having some very specific tastes or having spent an amazing amount of money on getting games day one.
Maybe that's the thing. I fell off riding the tide of new releases a good 5 years ago, and now just pick up game others recommend or I catch wind of. Never been happier.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Gamepass is definitely improving but the problem we have, generally, is that we want to play all the new hot games out week per week rather than scrolling through a bunch of "old stuff" in a similar fashion to netflix.

As a collective, we need to stop acting like a game isn't worth playing because it's been out for more than a month. We've been pulled into the rat race of new releases for a while now and it's time to buck that trend.

I suspect gamepass is about to become bigger at e3, though. The fact that not all of Microsoft games are available on the service is a bit strange. (for example, Rare Replay)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

dezm0nd wrote: June 1st, 2019, 8:00 am the problem we have, generally, is that we want to play all the new hot games out week per week rather than scrolling through a bunch of "old stuff" in a similar fashion to netflix.

As a collective, we need to stop acting like a game isn't worth playing because it's been out for more than a month. We've been pulled into the rat race of new releases for a while now and it's time to buck that trend.
Very well said. But good luck seeing any meaningful progress on that front since so much of the video game culture / industry / overarching conversation is so thoroughly drenched in recency bias. Even around here, although to a lesser degree than in most other places.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

If you do have gamepass, you should give Outer Wilds a go. It’s a seriously clever bit of design work and might be my favourite game this year so far...
countstex

Post by countstex »

dezm0nd wrote: June 1st, 2019, 8:00 am Gamepass is definitely improving but the problem we have, generally, is that we want to play all the new hot games out week per week rather than scrolling through a bunch of "old stuff" in a similar fashion to netflix.

It was a hard habit to break out of, and one probably brought on more by lack of funds then true effort on my part, but I can honestly say I am happier with my gaming time. Plus I can better enjoy the games as I'm not rushing them to get to the next thing before I've even started. Heck, I went back and 100%ed Tropico 3 last year, that's a near 10-year overlap. :D
Also helps I'm not having to complete things to talk about them on a podcast mind ;)

Actually, thinking about it I think GamePass helps in that regard in that I am getting 'new' stuff all the time, but it's not costing me anything more than what I consider a basic subscription. I get that rush of the new without having to fork out 40, 60, 80 quid for the privilege. Not that I don't think devs/pubs deserve the money of course, and I'm always happy to punt some cash in the direction of the likes of Paradox, Double Fine or Kalypso, but for the mainpart, a monthly sub to be divided up amongst them is fine for me.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

20 new things added to gamepass today including shenmue 1 and 2. And Hollow Knight.

Also Shadow Tactics, which is probably in my top ten games of all time,
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Apparently Game Pass Ultimate is now live which includes Game Pass and Xbox Live as a single subscription and is on offer for $1. Can't grumble at that.

Source: https://mspoweruser.com/xbox-game-pass- ... or-only-1/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm hoping this kicks Sony up the arse with regard to rolling PS Plus and Now in together as a package. Sony may well have won this generation as far as games are concerned, in my opinion, but Microsoft are leaving them for dust with customer experience. Sony look positively archaic at this point.

EDIT: And it's £10.99 a month. To get the same comparative service from Sony at the moment would cost you double that.
FemalePheromones

Not to mention it also includes Game Pass for PC.
countstex

Post by countstex »

That GamePass Ultimate is a slam dunk for me, given I already pay for GamePass and Gold, uping it a little to get GamePass for PC is a no brainer. Really loving Microsofts focus and direction right now.
FemalePheromones

It's not even upping it as Game Pass is £7.99 per month and Live is £6.99 per month so you're actually saving nearly £4 per month.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Genuinely if I had two hundred quid in my pocket to spend on whatever I wanted right now, I'd be straight down to get an Xbox. Sony really have their work cut out going in to the next gen. They're going to have to work hard to keep me - and I assume many others - as a customer. I just love what they're doing with Games with Gold, Ultimate Gamepass, X-Cloud and backwards compatibility.

A huge amount of those games shown last night said they're on Gamepass DAY ONE!
Come on Sony, I'd genuinely be gutted to jump sides, but I bloody well will if you give me no reason to stay!
FemalePheromones

Alex79uk wrote: June 10th, 2019, 1:30 pm
A huge amount of those games shown last night said they're on Gamepass DAY ONE!
Come on Sony, I'd genuinely be gutted to jump sides, but I bloody well will if you give me no reason to stay!
On top of that more AAA games seem to be coming to Game Pass pretty quick these days. Shadow of the Tomb Raider was only about 6 months after release, Just Cause 4 was only about 3 months and Metro Exodus is only about 4 months. I know that probably says quite a bit about the sales figures of those games but Game Pass just keeps getting better and better.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Moved over to Gamepass Tltimate last night, although I need to wait for a Windows Update before I can install the base program :/ Hopefully the rollout will be quick. (You need the June update for Windows 10)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Im pretty much going all in on gamepass at this point. Unless theres something i desperately need then ill buy it but theres more than enough to keep me going on gamepass at such a decent price.

Its probably the best thing to takeaway from e3 this year so far
FemalePheromones

It's great isn't it. I can never warrant spending £40+ in one go on any game so for quite a while I was using Boomerang Rentals where you pay a monthly subscription and they send you the discs in the post and you just send them back when you're done with them but since I've got Game Pass I have kept my Boomerang account on hold.

The only benefit of renting games that way is that you can get the new releases. I am kind of itching to play MK11.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Switched myself to Gamepass Ultimate last night. The conversion changed over what I already had prepaid into my gold subscription (and this months already paid gamepass fee) and so now I don’t pay anything again until late February.

I get the arguments about ownership, and that a lot of people really dislike the idea of a ‘paid rental service’, but as someone who almost never plays a single player game through more than once... I’m fine with that.