Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Shmups

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, nice! That's the one Stan swears by, right? Do we know if it's gonna remain Switch exclusive, btw?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Not many games stay exclusive. My hunch is it will pop up on at least PS4 at some point.

Also, check this, shmuppers: https://twitter.com/shmups/status/11395 ... 99808?s=21
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That looks pretty cool - is it a new game? I could have sworn I heard the name years back.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Rolling Gunner? It came out at the start of the year in Japan I believe.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's my favourite horizontal shmup, I can say that much. It's a not as spectacular as Akai Katana or Deathsmiles or Progear but it's really well balanced and tight and pretty different. The scoring is pretty deep, several different little systems. I got really really into it, fifteen hours basically on the first two minute stage. I've actually played through the rest of it as well (not 1CC) and it's superb. Novice modes and casual modes make it very accessible. It's just a really well designed indie shmup by an ex-Cave dev and it feels exactly like that.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I really hope it does well. It does seem like the Switch is leading a bit of a shmup renaissance (I can only imagine how many times people have claimed a shmup renaissance over the last ten years) and it's one of the very best of a very good bunch on the system.

On another Switch shmup note, I have been playing Radirgy Swag which came out on Thursday on the Japanese eShop. I bought it mostly to support the genre and do a tiny bit to encourage more shmup devs and publishers. It's pretty weird and because it's all in Japanese, I haven't got a clue what's going on, really! It's a vertical shooter but with a flatter angle of elevation, I don't know what the term is for this perspective but it's kind of 45 degrees lower to the ground than most vertical shmups. There don't appear to be any bosses, and it's more about playing for score through building your multiplier. It also has a bit of a Twinbee type of power up system where you can use your melee attack to change the colour of power ups and ping them back up the screen. Different colours evidently do various things but I can't figure out what exactly!

I played and didn't particularly enjoy Radirgy Noa on the 360 so I wouldn't really recommend this but if you fancy something different with a distinctive, non-moe anime aesthetic, it's certainly that.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: June 15th, 2019, 4:11 pm That's me, "one user", I'm famous! - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1234562
Btw, if I may ask. Who or what is that aberration of an avatar you keep using everywhere?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah well, that was certainly... music.
I don't even have an old favourite band, let alone a new one! Not so much of a "band" person, I'm afraid.

Thank you very much for the clarification, however.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

OK, I'm pissed so I'm going to recommend another favourite band:

https://youtu.be/-SKTAF2jSSI

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

The live version of that'd song from 2007 turned me from a casual to a devotee. The early stuff is colossal but more experimental but the midboss period stuff of Sung Tongs, Feels, and Strawberry Jam is so wonderful in a more familiar way and then Merriweather Post Pavilion was their commercial peak and an amazing record. The live shows around that time are my favourite music ever.

Everything since has been a bit variable but they're on the up again.

Their solo stuff is spectacular in parts. Person Pitch is probably the best solo record.

The early stuff was life changing for me.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Apologies for spelling auto correct.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Merriweather and Person Pitch go together very well. If one doesn't hit then the other may well do.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Best thread ever? Probley.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A friend, with whose tastes my own often coincided, foisted Merriweather Post Pavilion on me back at the time, and I found it one of the most intensely annoying listening experiences ever.
😆
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Hahaha. I can understand. AC are a particular taste.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: June 16th, 2019, 8:18 am Imagine if you were stone cold sober, if some owl blind-sided you.
Really sorry about that man. I'm the complete opposite of an authority on anything rock / metal / "bands", etc... I don't listen to any of that stuff by myself and I can't for the life of me figure out the differences between all the various styles and sub-genres. Cardiacs could be God's gift to the music world and I wouldn't be able to tell, I'm afraid.

clippa wrote: June 16th, 2019, 7:17 am this is just a support group now, rather than the shmups thread, isn't it? I'm not misjudging this?
I think you might be misjudging a lot of things, for better or for worse. At least you know how to put the "pic" in "off-topic". :lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

No no no! Immense enjoyment from each and every page here there is no need for beer fear :D your post was great, IMO. As was the class throwback toon top. I sometimes wonder if you’re my real dad, but the revelation you’re only 3 years ahead of me probably puts the brakes on that. Mind you, it probably wouldn’t be the first time in this neck of the woods.

Broke my “less internet while on holiday” rule to post this. Don’t change, clippa :mrgreen:

In other news, Shikhondo is quite tough on handheld isn’t it? It’s ludicrously cheap right now, £3 something. It seems to have genuine mechanics I’m going to have to learn outside of “shoot and bomb now and again”. Which is good! Doesn’t seem to be a Tate mode though, I was gonna try that if so.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Has anyone else picked up RXN Raijin?

I think it's available digitally overseas. I've been picking up more shooters here......trying to get better and mostly failing.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 16th, 2019, 4:27 pm Has anyone else picked up RXN Raijin?

I think it's available digitally overseas. I've been picking up more shooters here......trying to get better and mostly failing.
I played and completed it but it took absolutely ages. It's more story driven than most shmups. It has about fifty stages and you'll be repeating the them to grind and level up to get past humongous difficulty spikes. There's nothing to them besides your attack doing negligible damage until you level up. That's pretty annoying. It's once spent forty five minutes chipping away at a boss I'd pretty much learned inside out and still only took off half his health before dying of the boredom. That's antithetical to a good shmup in my opinion, it's more like a JRPG but only in that sense. There's no customisation or anything. It's a strange old game but the basic shooting gameplay is decent. I'm absolutely knackered so might be slightly more harsh on it than I would otherwise be.