Destiny / Destiny 2

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Destiny / Destiny 2

Post by James »

I went PS4, because it seems most folks that are picking it up are on there.

Honestly, I've been erring on the side of Xbox One for third-party games of late, in anticipation of the large number getting enhancements on Xbox One X. But I figured more opportunities for co-op increases the likelihood of my continuing to play Destiny 2 after I finish the campaign.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Finished the story over the weekend and have done a fair few extra stuff.

I've enjoyed my time with it, but, reductive as it is, I just can't shake the "Destiny 1.5" feeling off. The gameplay loop is entirely unchanged. They've just removed the amount of wait time between things you do, and, added story justification for everything. I'm sure that's enough for most people, and, ultimately that's good, but, I was hoping for at least *something* new.
James

Post by James »

I'm Level 12 at the mo', after picking the game up yesterday. Enjoying it pretty much the same as I did the first thus far, but my issues with Destiny were never so much with the campaign.

I do appreciate the work Bungie have put in to the visuals. I quite liked the look of Destiny, but wasn't bowled over; some of the scenery and settings in this game are quite astounding, I think.

It remains to be seen whether or not I take to the post-campaign stuff, or if I abandon it as quickly as I did Destiny (1). I would like to see a Raid and try to see if I can find others to play with though.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I've managed to avoid this so far. Seems to be going well. It's like sitting watching all my mates take drugs and have a brilliant time. I want to join them, but I know it's not good for me.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Hahaha!

Outstanding
James

Post by James »

Finished the Destiny 2 campaign, with my Exo Hunter now at Power Level 220 or so. It definitely scratched the Halo itch, with some great set pieces, and the same Destiny gunplay. The level progression seems clearer, though I still feel at a bit of a loose end now that the main story is complete. I'm currently reading up on where I should focus my efforts.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Linda and I have picked this up on XBOX. Just started last night after the double download and hit maybe level 6 (50-60) Having fun so far, although a heroic public event kicking off in the middle of our level 3 mission somewhat slowed us down!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Well, you can discount my belief I was done with this game. My friend offered it to me for £15 so I couldn't turn it down, even if it's just the campaign I get out of it (I definitely can't do the whole weekly grinding thing) it's worth it for the gunplay.

Early impressions are great, I've done the first set of missions and Earth's missions, with lots of cool distractions & public events along the way so far. I'm determined to not get wrapped up in the numbers game which is going well so far touch wood, and I've had a blast on crucible too.

In two nights I've already got more out of it than the entirety of my time with Titanfall 2. Lots more fun to be had, but I'll play it at my own pace and when the fun stops, I'm done and I go back to Borderlands: The Pre Sequel which I have ready & waiting. Not a bad way to spend what amounts to 3 pints at a bar these days.
James

Post by James »

Pretty sure I'm going to hop back into D2 when New Light launches alongside the Shadowkeep expansion in September. I was hoping Rage 2 might give me the looty-shooty fun I've been missing of late, but word of mouth on that game kinda put me off. The Pitchford Effect is still cooling any enthusiasm I have for Borderlands 3. Conveniently, Destiny 2 gets some pretty big changes as of the 18th September, a mere five days after BL3 launches.

For those unaware and interested, there was a lengthy Bungie stream (see below) after the Google Stadia event a couple of weeks back, where the Destiny 2 team laid out their plans for an Activision-less Destiny 2. In short, the base game and all year one content will be included in Destiny 2: New Light, which will be free. Any other expansions and DLC will be available to purchase on an a la carte basis (no longer needing to have previous expansions in order to access new ones).

I've heard good things about Destiny 2's current state, particularly after Forsaken arrived last year. I have no idea whether I'll be able to find a foothold from which to start enjoying the game beyond the main campaign, but I like what I'm hearing from Bungie, and for zero cost I'm happy to give Destiny 2 another try.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Picked up a physical xbox one copy for 3 quid and im ready for when it all shifts. I didnt really enjoy it first time round but im up for trying again.
James

Post by James »

I had almost exactly the same experience with D2 as I did with Destiny; the shooting felt good enough for me to see the campaign through to completion, but I quickly ran out of steam thereafter.

Sadly, with both games I found myself completely unsure of what to do or where to go once I didn't have a narrative pulling me forward. I guess I'm just not good at making my own fun. :oops:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Well, with crossplay maybe we can be looking for our own fun together
Suits

Post by Suits »

Wow, is this on cross-play now ??

I’d be well up for some Fireteam strikes again.

I never even finished the story in 2 after about 500 hours in 1.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Will be crossplay in September
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Destiny raids are the best co operative experience there is. Period. I’ve just accepted the time in my life where I could play these games enough to access the good bits is over. If you don’t have 15-20 hours a week to plough into this (and mates who also do) it’s not gonna happen.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

There should be a dad mode
Suits

Post by Suits »

Beating Atheon in the bowels of the Vault of Glass for the first time is bar far the most memorable MP experience I've done with my mates.

Weeks it took.

Bloody outstanding experience that. Brilliant.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: June 18th, 2019, 3:44 pm Beating Atheon in the bowels of the Vault of Glass for the first time is bar far the most memorable MP experience I've done with my mates.

Weeks it took.

Bloody outstanding experience that. Brilliant.
This x100
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

clippa wrote: June 18th, 2019, 12:11 pm Are you sure? I've read about cross-saves but I don't think cross-play has been confirmed.
Not a sure thing but im confident itll happen

https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/cross-play
Suits

Post by Suits »

Clips - What console are you playing on ??

It’s such a different experience in a familiar group.

Even just messing about doing strikes chatting shit is fun.