Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by duskvstweak »

I finished Mad Max. It's such a strange game. I wouldn't say I had tons of fun playing it, but there was something gently satisfying about just cleaning up the map, akin to carpet cleaning. It was the perfect game for where my heads been at.
It's one of those games, where if someone could only have one game for a month or two, I'd suggest it. It would keep them busy and they'd feel like they got their money's worth.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Alex79uk wrote: June 17th, 2019, 1:09 pm I really want to play Kiwami 2 after really enjoying Zero and the remake of the first game, but for some reason it never seems to come on a sale! Kiwami and Zero are always in the sale, but I'm holding out!
Kiwami 2 has only been out about 10 months I'd guess. I think the sale prices for Yakuzas start about a year after release.
Caligulas Horse wrote: June 17th, 2019, 4:20 pm I finished Suikoden 2 over the weekend, it made me sad that I had to finish it.
Good to hear, its a fantastic game that has aged very well over the last 20 years.
The game as a few endings, the best of which requires all 108 stars of destiny (characters). Ending spolilers ahead.
Spoiler: show
I actually preferred the ending I got. Nanami and Jowy survive in the best ending. It's nice but it felt like a cop out given the tone of the game
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
Jan 20 - FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 25 - Final Fantasy VIII (PSVita - PS1 Classic)
Jan 27 - Puzzle Bobble (Switch) (Difficulty Level 4 - One credit)
Feb 3 - Metal Slug 3 (PS4 - PS2 anthology version on Easy)
Feb 8 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Vs Computer mode - Normal)
Feb 12 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Switch)(Puzzle mode - One credit)
Feb 20 - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (3DS - DS cart)
Feb 21 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) (World of Light)
Mar 3 - Ristar (JP version) (PC)
Mar 22 - Wargroove (Switch)
Mar 31 - River City Ransom (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 2 - Donkey Kong '94 (3DS - VC)
Apr 20 - Super Dodge Ball (Switch - NES rom)
Apr 28 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
May 2 - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
May 2 - Aladdin SNES (PC emulation)
May 6 - Aladdin Mega Drive (PC Emulator)
Jun 16 - Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Majima Saga (PS4)
Jun 17 - Tetris Effect (PS4) (Normal)
The easiest way to describe it is Lumines: Tetris Edition and a lot of the cool ways the gameplay, sound and visuals interact are all present and correct but this really does feel like a step up from those games. Of course I only played it on a 1080p screen with headphones and despite never having used VR, its obvious that the visuals were designed for VR and would look stunning with it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 1 - Cat Quest
Jan 3 - Nex Machina (Arcade, experienced)
Jan 4 - Celeste
Jan 10 - Yoku's Island Express
Jan 13 - Evil Within 2
Jan 14 - Pilotwings
Jan 21 - Edith Finch
Jan 26 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A)
Jan 27 - Resident Evil 2 (Claire A)
Jan 31 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon B)

Feb 11 - Firewatch

March 19 - Donkey Kong 64
March 29 - Goldeneye 007 (00 Agent)

April 9 - Yoshi Crafted World

May 8th - Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts
May 19th - Rage 2
May 26th - Guacamelee 2

June 4th - Gato Roboto
June 14th - Dishonoured Death of the Outsider
June 17th - Cadence of Hyrule
Cadence of hyrule - loved it
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Caligulas Horse wrote: June 17th, 2019, 4:20 pm I finished Suikoden 2 over the weekend, it made me sad that I had to finish it.
I just started the first game last night!
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

ColinAlonso wrote: June 17th, 2019, 11:09 pm
Alex79uk wrote: June 17th, 2019, 1:09 pm I really want to play Kiwami 2 after really enjoying Zero and the remake of the first game, but for some reason it never seems to come on a sale! Kiwami and Zero are always in the sale, but I'm holding out!
Kiwami 2 has only been out about 10 months I'd guess. I think the sale prices for Yakuzas start about a year after release.
Good to hear, its a fantastic game that has aged very well over the last 20 years.
The game as a few endings, the best of which requires all 108 stars of destiny (characters). Ending spolilers ahead.
I actually preferred the ending I got. Nanami and Jowy survive in the best ending. It's nice but it felt like a cop out given the tone of the game
Yeah I actually spent quite a bit of time replaying the end section just to get the 'good' ending.
I enjoyed the happy ending and thought it was quite touching despite it not really making much sense lol.
Nanami's fake death was just silly though and it is especially nonsensical that even if you trigger the conversation between Huan and Shu where Nanami reveals she is alive, you still have to do everything else at the end with Jowy for Shu to actually reveal that Nanami is alive to you AND if he doesn't do that then she is actually dead at the end.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

duskvstweak wrote: June 18th, 2019, 2:21 am
I just started the first game last night!
Awesome, I kind of wish I had done it first but plan to give it a go at some point anyway.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

American Truck Simulator

There's no completion condition here so I made up my own - visit all locations in the game. That's done now and I'm still left wondering about this game's curious appeal. There were times in the game where I was seriously considering buying the Oregon and Washington expansions, and other times I was wondering what the hell I was doing.

It worked on some levels for me and not on others. I quickly got tired of the mod that plays real radio stations as it got too depressing - not only the gouging and politics, but the ads for prison officers paying 15 bucks an hour (14 an hour for cooks in the same place, I know which one I'd be going for).

I did listen to a lot of podcasts. Best for me was this one about a car dealership in New Jersey.

It doesn't really work as a tourist simulator, as the nods to the big attractions are cursory; to be fair, there's a lot of Americana in the American Southwest, and for me it worked best as a 'this looks interesting, let's have a look on Wikipedia'-type experience. Virtual tourism then.

I think they got the ambience of the Southwest right - there's a definite sense of place - but a lot of genericness too. I was slightly disappointed some geographical features were not present - the big mountain that features so prominently in Breaking Bad is missing from Albuquerque - but they did very well indeed overall. The transitions between biomes - high mesa, desert, coastal forest - was well done and the sunrises and sunsets were lovely.

Done with it now though thank the lord.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Lego Marvel Avengers
Jan - Titanfall 2
Feb - Oxenfree
March - Gorogoa
April - Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A + Claire 2nd Run + Runaway
April - Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 - story
April 29th - holedown
June 18th - Abzú (Xone)

Because I didn't spend enough time over the weekend trying out new games, I ran through Abzú (well mostly swam) getting 100% inside of three hours. For anyone who has played Flower , this played very much the same and had a very similar progression (though thankfully no motion controls!).
Obviously Abzú is ocean themed to Flower's wind/petal gimmick but the mix of nature to technology pretty much mirrors that of the earlier game.
There were some stunning visuals but there was nothing more to do with the experience beyond what was presented. Didn't outstay it's welcome but Journey certainly remains my top pick for this style of landscape traverse games.
I'm glad I've played it but, sadly, more glad that I didn't pay for it (thanks Game Pass)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)
05/04 - God of War III Remastered
12/04 - Devil May Cry 5 (Dante Must Die)
14/04 - Journey
15/04 - ABZU
22/04 - Journey
28/04 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition
30/04 - Dangerous Driving
02/05 - Final Fantasy XV - Episode Gladiolus/Episode Prompto/Episode Ignis
12/05 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition
21/05 - RiME
22/05 - Remember Me
20/06 - Bioshock

So after wrestling with the awful remaster, I switched over to the original version instead. Still a great time that stands up very well, although it does feel a tad clunky in some ways. Aiming feels a bit wonky, but I've always thought the feel of shooting is pretty good. It's got good sound design and weapons have a real kick to them.

But everything that got this game so much praise a decade ago is still as sharp and impactful today. Great art design and aesthetic, a really well written story with a brilliantly delivered twist (apart from it being rather clumsily re-explained the moment after they reveal it so expertly), and some very interesting political themes. In fact those themes feel more relevant now than ever with how the world has been going recently. It's also really enjoyable to come back to this game years later, having got a deeper understanding of the kinds of things it covers, and so being able to get more meaning out of it. This being my third time through, that's not even the first time that's happened. Makes me hopeful that I might be able to to it again some other time down the road.

Another thing that stood out to me is how this game actually has some parallels with the parts of Infinite that got so highly criticised. The way that game fumbled its depiction of the Vox Populi that caught it so much flak is actually somewhat similar to some of the stuff they do with Atlas in this game. They manage to steer away from putting their foot in it here for the most part, but it's kind of interesting to go back to this game after hearing all of those criticisms, and seeing they kind of have a slight precedence here. Now it makes me curious to go back to Infinite again and see how it compares. I picked this one up along with 2, and was sort of intending on playing that after if I felt like it. But now I think I might go for Infinite instead.
James

Post by James »

1st Jan - Virginia (Xbox One)
13th Jan - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
27th Jan - Mortal Kombat (Vita)
3rd Feb - Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
18th Feb - Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)
12th Mar - Dark Souls 3: Ashes Of Ariandel (Xbox One)
17th Mar - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (Xbox One)
6th May - Guildmaster Story (iOS)
15th May - Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4)
22nd May - Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4) (Platinum Trophy)
27th May - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (Xbox One)
2nd Jun - Sekiro: SDT (Xbox One) (1000G)
6th Jun - Astro Bot: Rescue Mission (PSVR)
13th Jun - Furi (PS4)
18th Jun - Blood & Truth (PSVR)
21st Jun - Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)

After playing and loving Astro Bot recently, I decided to pick up Blood & Truth. It was getting some pretty-good word of mouth, and I was up for another VR game.
Turns out it is pretty good, I think. The story is a collection of action scenes strung together by some tried and tested plot beats, but it's really all about the action. The problem is that PSVR tracking can be a bit iffy, I've found. So Blood & Truth, in theory, allows you to hold a gun in two hands and look down the sights. When this works I felt like I was in a ridiculous action film, taking out enemies with unbelievable speed and precision. More often than not though the rifle would jump from my hands, backwards through my head, making aiming more of a guessing game. It was bad enough that I decided instead to resort to holding whichever gun I had at full arms length and pointing it in the general direction I wanted to shoot, with kinda decent-ish results.
Throw in a bucket of gangster cliches and Colin Salmon inexplicably putting on an American accent that I just couldn't get on board with, and it's an odd experience. A full, narrative-meets-action experience like this in VR is quite impressive when it works, but PSVR's tracking and resolution issues (the game is quite blurry in the middle-to-long distance) hold it back. Oh, and the vehicle chase sequences were endlessly frustrating for me. Probably my fault, but I died way too often in those sections to have any fun at all.

On the other end of the spectrum is Watch Dogs 2. I heard good things about it back in 2016, but the marketing of the game had kinda put me off. Now, nearly three years later, and egged on by the announcement of Watch Dogs: Legion, I decided to pick WD2 up for under a tenner. It's very Ubisoft open world (no towers to climb though), and enthusiastically adopts the pop-culture hacker aesthetic.
But I really enjoyed WD2. The story has been a little surpassed by some of the events of the past few years, which gives the game a weird hopeful atmosphere; yes, corrupt politicians and privacy-ignoring corporations and election fixing and racist police, but the game presents a group of individuals coming together to counter all of this. That I was able to play non-lethally was a nice surprise, and there were plenty of "hacking" skills to keep the gameplay varied throughout.
A really-enjoyable reminder that Ubisoft's open worlds don't have to be endless to be good value. And whatever they may say, their games won't ever be apolitical. :mrgreen:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

23-6 - Donkey Kong '94/GB (3DS)

Fun times. Now back to the arcade original once more.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Scrustle wrote: June 20th, 2019, 2:37 pm
25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)
05/04 - God of War III Remastered
12/04 - Devil May Cry 5 (Dante Must Die)
14/04 - Journey
15/04 - ABZU
22/04 - Journey
28/04 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition
30/04 - Dangerous Driving
02/05 - Final Fantasy XV - Episode Gladiolus/Episode Prompto/Episode Ignis
12/05 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition
21/05 - RiME
22/05 - Remember Me
20/06 - Bioshock

So after wrestling with the awful remaster, I switched over to the original version instead.
Perhaps you already mentioned, and I've heard not great things about the remaster, but what caused you to go back to the original (I've only played the original as well)?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 1 - Cat Quest
Jan 3 - Nex Machina (Arcade, experienced)
Jan 4 - Celeste
Jan 10 - Yoku's Island Express
Jan 13 - Evil Within 2
Jan 14 - Pilotwings
Jan 21 - Edith Finch
Jan 26 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A)
Jan 27 - Resident Evil 2 (Claire A)
Jan 31 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon B)

Feb 11 - Firewatch

March 19 - Donkey Kong 64
March 29 - Goldeneye 007 (00 Agent)

April 9 - Yoshi Crafted World

May 8th - Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts
May 19th - Rage 2
May 26th - Guacamelee 2

June 4th - Gato Roboto
June 14th - Dishonoured Death of the Outsider
June 18th - Cadence of Hyrule
June 22nd - Donkey Kong (1994)
Added Cadence of Hyrule and DK94 to the list. Quite a productive June for me!
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: June 24th, 2019, 6:09 am Added Cadence of Hyrule and DK94 to the list. Quite a productive June for me!
Odd, you didn’t show on my leaderboard when I finished it Friday.

Also, I think it should warn you, that if you even have a quick look at fixed beat mode it voids your score for the other leaderboard.

Bit gutted I didn’t set a score for that after playing 99.9% in beat mode 😕.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

duskvstweak wrote: June 24th, 2019, 1:31 am
20/06 - Bioshock

So after wrestling with the awful remaster, I switched over to the original version instead.
Perhaps you already mentioned, and I've heard not great things about the remaster, but what caused you to go back to the original (I've only played the original as well)?
I talk about it here and here, but the short version is that graphical improvements are so minor they're not really noticeable, while a lack of polish that is noticeable actually makes it look worse in some ways too. It also has worse, compressed audio, and problems with frequently crashing, on PC at least. That last this is the biggest thing that made me go back. It was impossible to play without it crashing to desktop every hour or so.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Scrustle wrote: June 24th, 2019, 11:14 am
duskvstweak wrote: June 24th, 2019, 1:31 am
20/06 - Bioshock

I talk about it here and here, but the short version is that graphical improvements are so minor they're not really noticeable, while a lack of polish that is noticeable actually makes it look worse in some ways too. It also has worse, compressed audio, and problems with frequently crashing, on PC at least. That last this is the biggest thing that made me go back. It was impossible to play without it crashing to desktop every hour or so.
I went back and read those. Yikes. Very glad I played before they released that remaster... Glad you chose the original too!
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)
Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)
Mar 9 - DarkMaus (PC)
Mar 10 - Octopath Traveler (Switch)
Mar 31 - Final Fantasy X (PC)
Apr 5 - Treasure Adventure World (PC)
Apr 15 - Greedy Guns (PC)
Apr 23 - ChromaGun (PC)
Apr 27 - The Quest (PC)

May 1 - Skautfold: Usurper (PC)
May 7 - Alwa's Awakening (PC)
May 9 - OneShot (PC)
May 13 - Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition (Switch)
May 27 - Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (PC)
May 29 - Styx: Shards of Darkness (PC)
Jun 5 - The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians (PC)
Jun 5 - Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom (Switch)
Jun 11 - Yoku's Island Express (Switch)

Despite the overwhelming positive response this game received, I didn't care for it. A metroidvania pinball game is certainly unique and has its charm. There are very clear divisions in the game. Non-pinball areas where you mostly move around with your ball and use flippers placed in the world to essentially jump. Travel is pretty slow and boring since there is nothing to do when going from point A to point B. The pinball areas are mini-pinball tables. They were all fairly basic with none of them standing out. Losing a ball costs you a couple fruit (used to unlock some flippers and buy a couple things) but you get so many fruit that the penalty may as well not exist. It ended up being a real nothing kind of game which was a real shame.

Jun 17 - LISA (PC)

Otherwise known as Lisa The Painful. It has an interesting and twisted story going for it. It starts with all women on the planet going poof for an unknown reason. One day the protagonist randomly finds a baby girl who he raises in secret. Years pass and she gets abducted so you go out into this incredibly messed up world to find her. There are a few really messed up (in a good way) choices during the game. The rest isn't so good.

Outside combat the game is a 2D platformer that works fine. Annoyingly, you can walk/fall off cliffs which is an instant game over. Inside combat, it is mostly Dragon Quest style combat. Some party members use basic attacks to build up their bar for specials, others just use mana, and others use mana but input their attacks via button presses (WASD). Keeps things different. There are also quite a few party members to get through the game; think it was over 20. The difficulty, though, was all over the place. It started difficult because enemies would regularly take out over half of someone's HP in a single hit. Once you could start taking hits, things became easy until about 3/5 through when RNG comes into play. See, many enemies have special instakill attacks. If they hit someone who isn't the protagonist, that character is straight up dead. Permanently. The only way to really avoid this is to constantly use your highest damage abilities to kill things before they decide to use these abilities, which can still happen turn 1. Woo save scumming.
Ogata

Post by Ogata »

Just finished Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice after a while of playing it. My favorite fight by far was Isshin, The Sword Saint.
James

Post by James »

I loved learning that fight too, Ogata. My only complaint, and one I've heard a lot from others, is having to go through the fight immediately beforehand every single time. That first round quickly became trivial for me, and so it was this weird gate I had to walk through in order to get back to learning the much-stiffer final test.