A new start!

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

A new start!

Post by Alex79 »

So a couple of years ago I decided I wanted a career change. I've been working in early years and education for almost 25 years, and to be honest, I'm sick of it. The job isn't what it used to be. I currently manage a nursery for a large national chain, and I'm not really very happy there.

I decided, given I'd had a fair amount of secondary experience in the field, I'd like to go in to social work. Specifically, be a children's social worker. The only drawback was that I didn't have a social work degree.

Then I heard about a couple of fast track schemes. Very limited spaces, but you'd train to be a social worker whilst on the job, and be paid to do so. 14 months is a lot quicker and more financially viable than three years back at uni, so I decided to go for it.

To get on the course you have to have a degree in any field, 2:1 or above. I dropped out of uni when I was younger, and never completed the final year of my Early Childhood Education degree. So, I started looking for uni's that would let me finish my degree rather than start it again. After countless knockbacks ("It's been too long..." etc) I finally found a Uni down in Oxford that would allow me to jump on the final year. And best of all, they had a campus in Birmingham!

So it turned out that two and a half years ago, whilst working 40 hours a week and having three young children, I went back to uni. It was tough finding time to do assignments, and my dissertation saw me sitting up till 2/3/4am and getting up for work at half six, but for the first time in my life I didn't just give up and managed to earn a 2:1.

The social work fast track schemes only run every two years, and applications to start next Jan opened up in May this year. I applied, filled out the extremely lengthy and exam-like application form and eventually got invited to the assessment day. Candidates had been whittled down to potentials, and the assessment day consisted of a written exam, some role play, some dealing with teenagers and a formal interview. I thought I did OK, not great, and there were loads of people with more direct experience than me, family support workers, domestic violence refuge workers etc. Basically I didn't thibk I stood much chance.

So imagine my surprise this morning when I opened the email congratulating me on my successful application, and asking me to confirm my place on the course! Can't believe it. Its 14 months, and will require a little belt-tightening, but after that I'll finally be doing a job I want to be doing whilst earning a decent wage.

For the first time in god knows how long I'm actually feeling positive and looking forward to something. Anyway, just thought I'd share!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: A new start!

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yay! Well done and good luck!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

:D Fantastic news! You’re a braver man than me making such a huge life change but brave people make great video game heroes so looking forward to the inevitable game.

Alex “The” Man - sequel to Alex “The” Kidd. :D Haha.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Superb! Well done Alex, it’s been a long road. Good luck with the rest of it and hope it’s fulfilling for you . Great stuff.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Great to hear man, good on you 👍🏽.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Lovely to read and all the very best with it fella. Sending good vibes.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

What everybody else said!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks guys! :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Congratulations Alex!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Great stuff Alex, it's an industry that needs more good people, congrats and best of luck
Dyboyl

Post by Dyboyl »

Same as the rest, a big congratulations. I'm sure you'll pull through no problem 😁
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

congrats alex, finding your path can really help lift the weight off your shoulders. Good luck!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Nothing more to add other than that's awesome, and you're awesome.