What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
dezm0nd

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by dezm0nd » June 30th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition (Switch) – July 2
Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers expansion (PC, PS4) – July 2
Stranger Things 3: The Game (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 4
Wonder Blade (PC, Android, iOS) – July 4
What Remains of Edith Finch (Switch) – July 4
They Are Billions (Xbox One, PS4) – July 5/9
Sea of Solitude (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – July 5
Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 5

Nothing for me this week but thats fine. Infinite Mario 2 is here.

James

Post by James » July 2nd, 2019, 9:35 am

No Hardcore Mecha on PS4 outside of Asia yet? I mean, I guess I could pick it up on PC. :roll:

;)

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 2nd, 2019, 6:40 pm

A last-minute Arcade Archives Bubble Bobble is about all that would make me part with cash this week!

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 6th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Bear With Me (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 9
Senran Kagura Peach Ball (Switch) – July 9
Sairento (PS VR) – July 9
Godhood – Steam Early Access (PC) – July 10
Space Dance- Steam Early Access (PC) – July 10
Dr. Mario World (Android, iOS) – July 10
SolSeraph (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 10
Skulls of the Shogun: Bone-A-Fide Edition (Switch) – July 11
Blazing Chrome (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 11
Sky: Children of The Light (iOS) – July 11
Dead in Vinland (Switch) – July 11
Tiny Metal: Full Metal Rumble (PC, Switch) – July 11
Professor Lupo and his Horrible Pets (PC, Switch) – July 11
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4, Switch) – July 12

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 6th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Dr. Mario World is vaguely interesting. Nintendo have tried going after several of the different mobile free to play models with their games on there, and this one is taking the Dr. Mario game design and tooling it with Candy Crush’s level progression system.

Might be worth a look.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 6th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I like the smell of godhood, will have to give that a try.
Thanks dezm0nd, it's not the type of thing I'd normally hunt out so I would have missed it otherwise.
Blazing Chrome, I'd forgotten all about that!

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 7th, 2019, 5:06 am

I've always loved keeping upto date with new releases. Ever since my local indie store days, loitering and working in them.

I will continue to post here what I can find because like you clippa, it might help you find your new favourite title!

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 7th, 2019, 7:12 pm

I am looking forward to Dr Mario on mobile but the trailers make it look very free to play. I really hope it’s not just another matching game with a Nintendo veneer.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 7th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Have you played it before? :lol:

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 7th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Have you played it before? :lol:
A thousand times. Which is my fear.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 12th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Lost Orbit: Terminal Velocity (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 16
Killsquad – Steam Early Access (PC) – July 16
Summer Catchers (PC) – July 16
Defend the Keep (PC) – July 16
Robo Instructus (PC) – July 16
Must Dash Amigos (Xbox One) – July 16
Gloomhaven – Steam Early Access (PC) – July 17
Let’s Go Nuts (Switch) – July 17
Tidal Tribe (PC) – July 17
Night Call (PC) – July 17
Etherborn (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 18
Gabbuchi (PC, PS4) – July 18
Gorn (PS VR) – July 18
Fate Hunters – official launch (PC) – July 18
Horace (PC) – July 18
FIA European Truck Racing Championship (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 18
Telefrag VR (Rift, Vive, PS VR) – July 19
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Switch) – July 19
Nowhere Prophet (PC) – July 19

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 12th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Ultimate Alliance 3 I have strong hopes for. It’s not the same developer as the originals... but the new developer is one with a good track record so...

We shall see.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 12th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Blazing chrome is booooring.
Godhood is such a wasted opportunity, you just sit there watching things happen. Even the combat is automated! I was looking for a relaxing game, but this is taking things too far.

I'll have to try killsquad, looks like you can play that single player offline according to the devs on the steam forum.
Still after a new ARPG to grab me, I got that warhammer one but got bored after a few hours and keep putting off firing it up again.

Looks a bit dull on youtube this one, but sometimes dull can be good. "A valley without wind" had a lovely, comforting, lonely, melancholy vibe to it, that was dull as dishwater but it suited the gameplay, I liked it anyway. I'll keep an eye on this, see what people say when it comes out.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 15th, 2019, 5:33 am

If you find a good ARPG then let me know. I never got into Torchlight 2 but hearing it's coming to consoles excites me

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 15th, 2019, 6:18 am

dezm0nd wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 5:33 am
If you find a good ARPG then let me know. I never got into Torchlight 2 but hearing it's coming to consoles excites me
I assume you guys are looking for the more traditional Diablo-like ARPG? If not, you could always try Rebel Galaxy or Star Traders Frontiers (the latter not on console).

I would recommend the king - the king! - of all ARPGs, Mount & Blade Warband, which is available on console now as well (and is a fiver), but that's probably not what you are after.

Victor Vran or Van Helsing then? I haven't played either.

clippa wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Looks a bit dull on youtube this one, but sometimes dull can be good. "A valley without wind" had a lovely, comforting, lonely, melancholy vibe to it, that was dull as dishwater but it suited the gameplay, I liked it anyway.
Ahaha, nice one! I enjoyed this myself, for probably the same reasons. I only spent 8 hours or so with it though.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 15th, 2019, 7:54 am

Chopper wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 6:18 am
I assume you guys are looking for the more traditional Diablo-like ARPG?
Yeah, when I say ARPG, I mean those diablo-like hack n slash, brainless, top down loot pinata games.
I do like those other RPGs sometimes, but it's not what I've got a craving for.
Chopper wrote:
Victor Vran or Van Helsing then? I haven't played either.
Didn't like either of those. Victor Vran was more of a made for pad brawler, that got refunded. The van Helsing games, their heart was in the right place, but they were just a bit naff and empty, a bit lacking.
Can't quite put my finger on it or explain why, there's clearly an alchemy at work that I don't quite understand, but sometimes these games click for me and sometimes they really don't.
Chopper wrote:
Ahaha, nice one! I enjoyed this myself, for probably the same reasons. I only spent 8 hours or so with it though.
When the second one came out and they decided to go with the "streamlined" controls, I was gutted, it was the best thing about the first game! - https://christophermpark.blogspot.com/2 ... equel.html
-The controls are also streamlined. That whole mouse+keyboard thing was really a bad idea, as some players pointed out to us. That sort of freedom of aiming really kills the classic Metroidvania style of a game like this, and makes it so that keyboard-only players and gamepad-only players are at a huge disadvantage. So we're moving down to two streamline control schemes that are equivalent with one another: keyboard-based and gamepad-based. And yes, the tab-targeting is gone since that basically acts like a cheat at this point without free-aiming of the mouse.

Please note! We're not just taking away control options for kicks, or because we think people were "doing it wrong." But the fact remains that generally a game is built around its controls, especially as an action game. We're trying to maintain as much flexibility in the controls as we can while not making it so that people are playing fundamentally different games that we can't make universally fun. Placing wooden platforms was trivial with the mouse, and so is killing a bat. But it's incredibly frustrating with any other sort of input. When you get right down to it, what we're trying to make is a Metroidvania game, and I don't personally know of any of them that use a mouse-style of control. Hence we're going a bit more standardized with that, and I have to say the controls feel really good.
The controls did not feel really good, they felt really shit. You got the second game for free if you bought the first one, so I wasn't complaining, but my play time says it all, 27 hours in the first, 52 minutes in the second.

They got rid of everything that was unique and interesting about the first game and made some shitty run of the mill metroidvania platformer. Usually indie devs have to be bought out by a big company and forced to do that, but they did it all of their own volition. First game is a gorgeously ugly/beautiful, janky, unique mess of a thing. The second game is just dull.
dezm0nd wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 5:33 am
Oh, wow, I didn't know about that!
Yeah, that's really good. It took me a couple of tries to get into that one properly, 10 hours or so before it finally clicked, so it might be worth you giving it another try.

If you do give it another go, bind a button to "move without attack", it's a great panic button when you get surrounded when playing ranged characters.

The first game is currently free on the epic store - https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... light/home

The second game is much more balanced than the first. First was far too easy, and the enchant system was too generous, you could enchant weapons again and again, giving them extra bonuses, sometimes you'd get unlucky and lose everything, but it was always worth the risk when the failure rate was low. You'd be stomping around with this big hairy staff with like 50 enchantments hanging off it and just ploughing through everyone.

The second game has a demo on steam if anyone wants to see if they like it in preparation for the upcoming console version - https://store.steampowered.com/app/2007 ... hlight_II/

I'm not a big fan of the look of the game at all, I really dislike the slightly washed out palette and the softness of the graphics, sometimes the lighting and smoke effects combine with this to make it look really smudgy and nasty.

Urgh!

Uuuuuurhg!
Uuuurururuuuuugggugugughh!

191 hours and I never warmed to it. I think I hate the way it looks more now than I did to begin with! I want everything sharp and high contrast, everything needs to be clear and quickly readable when you're playing a game. I'm not too bothered about feeling like I'm inside a living painting, it's not worth the trade off. It's a good game to get lost in though, once it sucks you in, it's really addictive.

If I manage to find anything new that clicks for me, I'll be sure to tell you.

chase210

Post by chase210 » July 15th, 2019, 8:36 am

I’ll probably cave and buy marvel ultimate alliance.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 15th, 2019, 10:13 am

chase210 wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 8:36 am
I’ll probably cave and buy marvel ultimate alliance.
I wasn't interested in that till I saw a trailer. I don't know why but I thought it was some sort of card battler game! It looks like a Marvel themed hack and slash RPG-lite though, sound about right?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 15th, 2019, 10:45 am

Yeah, they’re Gauntlet/Diablo/Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance type affairs.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 15th, 2019, 10:54 am

Which seem great for the first few hours then tail off for me dramatically.

I think unless I’m playing online with mates Lego chatting the whole time, I don’t enjoy those sort of games.