Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Simonsloth »

For absolutely no reason whatsoever I just bought a end of generation PsOne with attached screen.

Anyone got one of these and can report back on the screen quality? It comes with a charger that plugs into the lighter socket in the car so will play all those old discs I’ve got. Also I think I should be able to hook it up to a battery pack so could even use it on the go.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Simonsloth wrote: July 7th, 2019, 12:35 pm For absolutely no reason whatsoever I just bought a end of generation PsOne with attached screen.

Anyone got one of these and can report back on the screen quality? It comes with a charger that plugs into the lighter socket in the car so will play all those old discs I’ve got. Also I think I should be able to hook it up to a battery pack so could even use it on the go.
Haha! I had completely forgotten about those! That was one last ditch effort to get more PS1 sold. You have to report back about how well it works these days!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: July 7th, 2019, 12:35 pm For absolutely no reason whatsoever I just bought a end of generation PsOne with attached screen.

Ha, rad.

I’ve got a PS2 and a few GameCube ones that perform well considering how old the tech is. Screen aren’t the best but if you really do have to finish that game - then these will do it 😄.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 9:43 pm Take the case and show us what you’ve got, might be simple to identify and fix 👍🏽.
I'll definitely do that when I get around to it!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: July 7th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Ha, rad.

I’ve got a PS2 and a few GameCube ones that perform well considering how old the tech is. Screen aren’t the best but if you really do have to finish that game - then these will do it 😄.
It arrived today and it actually exceeds my wildest expectations. The sound and picture quality are superior to the CRT TV I hooked it up to for comparison. I’m also awaiting a usb to 7.5V adaptor which may allow me to play it on the go.
I went and excitedly looked through my massive collection of PSOne games and realised I didn’t have any desire to play any of them right now! Such a odd feeling.

Lightgun games don’t work which I expected but held out some distant hope they would.

Still it’s a nice bit of kit for when my mood changes and I can play it without the TV which is nice.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Anyone looking into getting a Polymega? The price seems prohibitively expensive although it looks like a nifty bit of kit.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't think I'm the target audience for it considering the platforms it emulates but it does look like a very nice bit of kit indeed. Curious to know what Digital Foundry makes of it!
Suits

Post by Suits »

That Polymega is certainly drawing a good deal of the correct attention from what I've seen and read about it.

But for as long as I have a PVM CRT, these sort of FGPA and other extremely accessible and convenient systems will always be second choice to using original hardware on a CRT. Just ask my dusty Super NT.

But for the vast majority of people with game collections, this is an extremely enticing proposition I'm sure.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Thanks Leon. I watched the video and I’m now sold on the idea. I particularly like the idea of a storefront and the fact there is a HDTV light gun compatible with the system makes my mouth water!

It’s like the antithesis of the Sony PlayStation Classic Mini. My vast collection is usable on the system and I can add to it physically and potentially digitally. I’m interested to see how it handles 3+ players.

My finger is hovering over the preorder button. It launches the week before my birthday too!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Probably going to go to the London retro game market again on Sunday, up near Russell Square.

If you see me, say hi :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: July 18th, 2019, 11:51 am Probably going to go to the London retro game market again on Sunday, up near Russell Square.

If you see me, say hi :)
Ah, I was going mate - I’m not now.

I’m out on the razzle instead now, up Soho.

You looking for anything particular ??
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Not hugely, mainly seeing what takes my fancy. Probably grab some Master System things I’d like to play if I see them but I’m mainly going to have a nosy.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

We're stopping at my partners parents house tonight, and I just spotted this little beauty. Why hello there! Checked the box, it's all there. Winner winner chicken dinner! Going to have to set it up and have a blast tomorrow!

Suits

Post by Suits »

I wonder if there’s a TV in the house that’ll accept it 🤨.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm gonna bring it home, fairly sure we have a little TV with old RF input, which is how it connects isn't it? I didn't look too closely last night before passing out about half nine :lol:

Unfortunately no CRT though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: July 21st, 2019, 9:49 am I'm gonna bring it home, fairly sure we have a little TV with old RF input, which is how it connects isn't it? I didn't look too closely last night before passing out about half nine :lol:

Unfortunately no CRT though.
Yeah man, it’ll be a RF connection.

You do get some older digital panels though that still have that connection, so give them a spin to check anyway 👍🏽.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I suspect no one was sure why I was laughing and taking a photo of this...

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Forgive them, Leon, for they know not what they do.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha. I do love the MS1 design though, the totally pointless graphic on it makes it look like something off Star the Trek :lol: