Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Well, I certainly wasn't suggesting that the Switch would be better off using AA batteries for this exact reason. I only brought up AAs to point out that the life cycles of older devices were completely independent from their energy sources.

I think the WiiU tablet solution was excellent and that Nintendo should have stuck with that.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 18th, 2019, 4:52 pm I think the WiiU tablet solution was excellent and that Nintendo should have stuck with that.
Mate, it was a game changer for me.

In my old place when the Wii U was relevant, the way our front room was set up, was that there weren’t really any power points freely available to charge the Gamepad when not on its dock.

The extra large battery was a great upgrade for me in that specific situation and pretty much eliminated the problem.

From what I understand now, an official large capacity battery fetches a very pretty penny.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I love how it has taken the announcement of the new Switch to let people relax enough to criticise the old Switch - poor build quality, a bit uncomfortable for handheld gaming (!), battery issues (not sure on this, I just skimmed the conversation above). I hadn't heard of any of those things till now!

This is not a Nintendo-specific criticism, but tech-specific - everythings always golden till the next thing comes along :lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: July 18th, 2019, 7:15 pm poor build quality, a bit uncomfortable for handheld gaming (!), battery issues (not sure on this, I just skimmed the conversation above). I hadn't heard of any of those things till now!

This is probably the one video that made me decide to wait on a hardware revision. There have always been real criticisms of the console, especially in terms of its ergonomics and build quality, but I think the novelty factor and excellent software lineup drowned them out over time. People were just too excited to have another top Nintendo platform to play on.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Woah, that looks pretty awful. Admittedly I would probably know better if I was a handheld gamer, but all I'd heard were the docking station scratching issues. Good idea to wait really.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Three years after its initial launch, Overwatch is finally going to implement role queue.

I'm gutted. I think this is absolutely the right design choice for a multitude of reasons, especially for the massively positive effect it's bound to have on the social aspect of the game. But man, how I wish they would have thought of that a few years ago before I burned myself out on the game due to its rampant toxicity! :cry:

I have incredibly fond memories of the game itself and think it's a masterpiece in so many ways but I just can't see myself re-invest any significant amount of time into it at the moment.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Chopper wrote: July 18th, 2019, 8:13 pm Woah, that looks pretty awful. Admittedly I would probably know better if I was a handheld gamer, but all I'd heard were the docking station scratching issues. Good idea to wait really.
I’ve had no ‘issues’ worthy of the name with my 2017 Switch. The battery life is definitely not amazing and the kickstand (that I virtually never use) is well flimsy, but in all other respects I am completely happy with my console.

Of course improvements and revisions are welcome, but I don’t think you’ll find too many Switch owners who aren’t delighted with their machine.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't find it uncomfortable. My only gripe, and it's nothing to do with the Switch, is that when I'm lying in bed playing it, my hands go numb after a while but I think that's just bad circulation as I'm effectively holding them above my heart. I have to put it down and dangle my hands down for a few seconds then it's all back to normal for a bit :lol: I had the option of getting one for my birthday in May or waiting for a new model, and have not one regret of getting it earlier. Had two months of fantastic fun so far. I've also only used it docked once (aside from the odd go the kids have had on it, not trusting them with handheld mode just yet!)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No wifi probs at all with mine.

Like you Alex, I too get numb hands from handheld gaming, especially when lying on my back.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Genuinely no Switch wifi problems for me but obviously it’s very hard to compare and contrast conditions. I have pretty fast internet and the dock sits a few feet from the hub, albeit behind a wall and around a corner.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I have no idea if my switch has any of these issues. It hardly ever leaves the dock, I use the pro controller for everything, and it’s sat about 12 inches away from my wireless router.

If they made a version which was just a small block like the Apple TV that only worked via hdmi, I’d probably get it and sell the weird looking thing that is a docked switch.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 18th, 2019, 8:18 pm Three years after its initial launch, Overwatch is finally going to implement role queue.
Yeah, I think it’s going to be a much better play experience with this change. People will still complain about you picking ‘the wrong hero’, but at least the teams will always be somewhat balanced compared to ‘oh, everyone picked dps so I suppose I have to pick support or we’ll just straight up lose’ that you get now in the mid to low ranks of ranked play.

Being rated separately for the three roles is going to lead to some interesting things as well. I fully expect my ranking for tank to be higher than my current rank is in the overall system, and that my rank for dps will be somewhat lower. But I may actually discover I’m not as good a tank player as I think I am...

They’re at pains to say this has been in the works for over a year, and that it’s not a direct reaction to the fairly stale 3 tank 3 support meta that has made a lot of the league a dull watch this season, but there’s no doubt it’s going to make the league quite different for the final stage of this season...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Re: Switch tech feedback.

Ive had no scratches from the dock, no dodgy WiFi, battery is fine for my needs (train from Manchester to Bristol or London is absolutely no issue), no warping or cracking.

I got two sets of Joycons at launch and they both had connectivity issues when separated from the system, whereby the controller was apparently blocked by my own leg or the coffee table or a ghost. That's really poor, but I never use them separately anyway, and I use the Switch 90% docked, if not more.

I find it pretty uncomfortable handheld but I still managed to put in 300hrs of Isaac when that first came out, mostly portable, so it couldn't have been that bad. That said, the Satisfye grip completely solves that issue. Completely. One of the best things I've bought in the last couple of years.

I also got the LAN adapter and that made a noticeable difference to my connection quality and download speeds, so I'd recommend that, as well. Obviously, you do still get crap connections in Smash or whatever but at least now I know it's not at my end.

I'd get a genuine upgrade XL model with a larger screen but I'm not interested in a battery efficiency revision. I'm not really interested in a 4K Switch either, not least because it is obviously never, ever, ever happening.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Not sure how much interest there is for this, but the XIII remake is delayed to next year:

https://www.justpushstart.com/2019/08/x ... ntil-2020/
Suits

Post by Suits »

That new Cherry Hunter SoR4 trailer is pretty cool.

Cherry looks fun and is the daughter of Adam which is real cool but the stand out for me was the music by Motohiro Kawashima and the quick sighting of a battered Shiva.

Gotta be honest, although I’m not totally convinced by the aesthetic just yet - this is shaping up nicely.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

With Streets of Rage 4 and River City Girls it looks like being a fun time for fans of the belt scroller.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah man, I’m getting pretty excited to be honest.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: August 19th, 2019, 8:26 pmGotta be honest, although I’m not totally convinced by the aesthetic just yet - this is shaping up nicely.
Yeah, I just don't like it. It's too clean, too crisp, almost Flash like. Reminds me a bit of that Alien Hominid game, or Castle Crashers. I really wish they'd stayed sprite based.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: August 19th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Suits wrote: August 19th, 2019, 8:26 pmGotta be honest, although I’m not totally convinced by the aesthetic just yet - this is shaping up nicely.
Yeah, I just don't like it. It's too clean, too crisp, almost Flash like. Reminds me a bit of that Alien Hominid game, or Castle Crashers. I really wish they'd stayed sprite based.
I kind of like how it actually looks, I think it looks cool. The characters could be maybe more defined but I think it looks cool and stylish.

I’m just not sure that’s how I want my SoR4 to look.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well yeah that's more what I meant. I do like that style in general, kind of 2D cell shaded almost, but not for SoR.