The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

Yeah, the software sharing is an interesting one.

Nintendo are selling it as part the Switch ‘family’, which would suggest some sort of sharing perhaps.

One of my biggest issues with the Switch is that I find it too big for a handheld as such at times and a little too heavy.

I’ve mentioned a number of times that I still prefer the functionality of the 3DS as a handheld over the Switch.

The Lite is reportedly lighter that the current Switch console without its Joy-Cons attached - which sounds pretty appealing actually.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: July 10th, 2019, 11:14 pm Yeah, the software sharing is an interesting one.

Nintendo are selling it as part the Switch ‘family’, which would suggest some sort of sharing perhaps.

One of my biggest issues with the Switch is that I find it too big for a handheld as such at times and a little too heavy.

I’ve mentioned a number of times that I still prefer the functionality of the 3DS as a handheld over the Switch.

The Lite is reportedly lighter that the current Switch console without its Joy-Cons attached - which sounds pretty appealing actually.
I totally agree with you on the 3DS vs Switch handheld functionally thing. I play my handhelds in bed on my side a lot and I simply can’t do that with the Switch due to its size, the 3DS/Vita/PSP will live on forever more in this regard for me. The Switch Lite doesn’t look like it will be viable for this either by the looks of it. I do love the Switch in handheld mode in other scenarios though - but only with a grip.
Suits

Post by Suits »

clippa wrote: July 10th, 2019, 11:21 pm Suits obviously doesn't look after his stuff, no amount of isopropanol is gonna fix that top screen, it looks like dennis the mennis has hoofed a football through it.
Don’t be silly Clips - that’s Toby, my Father’s Day succulent trying to get in on the act.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

As promised:

One otherwise mint condition New 3DS:

One prominent circle pad imprint on the top screen:
Suits

Post by Suits »

Nasty mate.

I can understand the frustration.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Turns out I’ve got two of those stunning Zelda:Links Awakening Limited Editions pre-ordered.

It seems that Nintendo & Smyths are sold out of their allocation already.

I only want one, so if anyone wants one let me know - I don’t want anymore than what I paid for it 👍🏽.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Some decent deals on e-shop at the moment. Tumbleseed for £3.50ish and Mario+Rabbits for just over a tenner.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: July 12th, 2019, 9:48 pm ...... Mario+Rabbits for just over a tenner.
Wow, loved that game.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I already have Hellblade on PS4 but I wouldn’t mind the switch version. Only £12 something through the South African store.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Is the first Metroid game on the NES still worth playing? I've read such wildly varying reviews (mostly from a modern point of view). I've never played a Metroid game for longer than a few hours, although I do like the MetroidVania (yeah, MetroidVania, deal with it!) genre. Just wondered if it was worth seeing where it all started? Or, should I skip the NES entirely and go straight to Super Metroid on the SNES? Ta!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Zero Mission is a remake of the first game and is the superior title in every respect in my opinion. Either ZM or SM are probably the best entry points when it comes to 2D Metroid.

The first one is hard to get into: password save system, no in-game map, stiff animations... That sort of thing.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Although on Switch you can save anywhere, rewind etc.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that's what I was thinking! Save scum my way through it more than likely, haha.

Hmm I didn't realise Zero Mission was a remake of the first game. I'm sure I played some of that on GBA back in the day without realising so. Interesting. I'll give the old one a try on Switch first and if it's impenetrable I'll give Zero Mission a whirl. Thanks :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, Zero Mission is stunning.

Super Metroid is brilliant but flawed by its stupid frame perfect requirement for Samus’ spin and wall jump - for me anyway. The music, art and story are so incredibly captivating though. Wonderful game.

Metroid is well worth a go on the Switch, as Leon says the save and rewind features make it so much more accessible - what have you got to lose ??

I’m going to play Zero Mission again.
Flabyo

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion threa

Post by Flabyo »

Like a lot of NES games I find the original Metroid is useful to play if your primary interest is in history of the medium, but if you want to actually skip to something that plays as well as a modern take you’re better skipping to at least the SNES versions.

I find a lot of nes and Master System stuff way harder going than Megadrive and SNES games if it’s not a game I’m already familiar with. (There are exceptions of course, super Mario is super Mario after all...)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'd say that aside from SMB1-3, I find the NES games either unplayable or unable to hold my interest for more than a few minutes.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks all. Yeah Stan, I'd have to agree unfortunately. The idea of 40 odd NES games on my Switch seems so cool, but a lot of them are virtually unplayable. Even the first Super Mario suffers I think, I had to persevere to get through it. SMB 3 is still excellent though, as is the first Zelda. Hoping Metroid at least swings a little more in that direction. The thing I struggle with the most with a lot of these NES games is there's no point to playing them. Of course there's a point, it's fun (debatable), but without a story or at least clear goals a lot of games fall down for me as I really need something to aim for. Mario has no story of note of course, but that a whole different level of fun which makes up for it. But stuff like Balloon Fight and Ice Climber, whilst they're fun for five minutes I soon get bored of them and have no drive to keep playing. And I'm really not complaining though, as a piece of gaming history I really love what they've done and its almost always worth giving each one a go for a bit at least.

Apologies for what was a total steam of consciousness post there, had no idea of where it was going - just kept typing!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Alex79uk wrote: July 19th, 2019, 8:01 pm Thanks all. Yeah Stan, I'd have to agree unfortunately. The idea of 40 odd NES games on my Switch seems so cool, but a lot of them are virtually unplayable. Even the first Super Mario suffers I think, I had to persevere to get through it. SMB 3 is still excellent though, as is the first Zelda. Hoping Metroid at least swings a little more in that direction. The thing I struggle with the most with a lot of these NES games is there's no point to playing them. Of course there's a point, it's fun (debatable), but without a story or at least clear goals a lot of games fall down for me as I really need something to aim for. Mario has no story of note of course, but that a whole different level of fun which makes up for it. But stuff like Balloon Fight and Ice Climber, whilst they're fun for five minutes I soon get bored of them and have no drive to keep playing. And I'm really not complaining though, as a piece of gaming history I really love what they've done and its almost always worth giving each one a go for a bit at least.

Apologies for what was a total steam of consciousness post there, had no idea of where it was going - just kept typing!
I can see where you're coming from, and it's why I never bought a NES Classic despite adoring my SNES Classic. It's probably down to my particular age, but as far as I'm concerned the 16 bit generation is when gaming really came of age - ie when developers started making games primarily for the home experience and not the arcade experience, and started making games that you could really get your teeth into vs a blast of exciting - but ultimately rather disposable - fun.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah same here, never owned a NES as a kid, in fact I've never even played on one, as in the original hardware, as far as I know. We had an Amstrad and Master System, but as you say it was the 16 bit era that really got its hooks in me. I can pretty much pinpoint Flashback on the Megadrive as the pivotal moment for me realising games could be so much more than just arcade fun.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, I completed it for review and thought it deeply mediocre (at best). Literally no reason to play it when you can get the original on current gen platforms (or just emulate it).