Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

...and that’s the shit I don’t like! From checking reviews this has an “infinite” mode where bairns can play and brute force their way through the content which is cool. So it appeals due to that. I wouldn’t say I’m drawn to this stuff as such, more that I’m adding to the catalogue of shmups and looking for some variety. Darius was a chance thing really as I ran out of time, I’ve got a shitload more to play I’m just feeling the fire in the PayPal pocket. My love for this genre very much lies in bullet hell tbh, but I’m trying to expand the horizons where possible? Since it’s destroying all my other gaming interests 😂
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: July 19th, 2019, 8:48 pm I’ve got a shitload more to play I’m just feeling the fire in the PayPal pocket.
Real talk: I think it'd be smarter to focus on one of the games you already have for the time being and keep the money for the next time a big sale comes around.

But that's just me. :)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Owls are wise. I should listen to them :owl:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Clippa, you got me exactly. I've got lots of red string all over the place, planning routes, trying to say moderately sane, trying not to launch the fuckin stick through the telly whenever I point blank a bit million bullets out of some Dragon's gob.

Greatham work on the Rolling Gunner, by the way. I find Casual Mode really tough for scoring, I gotta say. Normal Mode is definitely brutal but the actual scoring is more lucrative and I kind of get it better. I was talking to some dude on Twitter and he showed me a few strats and he got 60m+ on stage one which was an improvement on my best but it's such such fine margins. Great game but the scoring is unbelievably tight and precise.

Haze, good on you, fella. Glad you're enjoying these sparse austere memory bastards. I'd say R-Type is worth it it but it's a bit of a prick, as well. You just have to learn the routes obsessively and execute perfectly, I reckon. It's not as free-form as bullet hell stuff can be.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Aye it’s more a case of amassing a collection when games are on sale, R-Type feels like a bit of a history lesson too, no? The infinite lives thing sounds great to me, more points the less lives you lose etc. - I wouldn’t get to it right away, there is a bit of a queue.

I sat down last night to play a game, all set up but was so fucked I couldn’t manage it. Camping took all my energy. Fired up a Queen documentary instead and passed out by 10. Rock & roll 😂 see what tonight brings. Might fire up DDP Resurrection, try black label or arrange. If I can stay awake
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Nice. It's great that Rolling Gunner is back for EU sales, I wonder what that was all about...

I've continued camping ethos at home btw - the electric cool box thing is now set up next to my chair so I don't have to arse myself to walk to the fridge for a beer. Dream.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've seen quite a few people getting mildly excited about Pawarumi on Twitter and the like but it's not doing an awful lot for me. I'll likely swerve it til it's in the sales. I've got to stop buying every bloody shmup thats comes out on the Switch, to be honest. Gradius V is put this week, Caladrius Blaze last week. I own them both elsewhere. They're both pretty average. I've so far resisted but I know I'm one pint and a sunny evening away from a purchase.

I also basically want to support any shmups on the Switch so they keep coming, but I don't know whether that's consumerist delusion. I used to laugh when I saw people claiming such folly but now that's me. That's my life.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Not at all. It's a fair reminder. To be honest, I've never been someone who's given any consideration to building a library or considering the future or preservation or anything like that, for better or worse. Since I got the 360, I've had very little interest in buying new stuff whereas I was previously scouring sites for news and tidbits of upcoming releases on the system.

That in itself is odd because I've never been like this for any other in my life. I dunno, the Switch has clicked with me and I've played a lot of ports on there which I've owned elsewhere and never got round to. How many times did I bounce off Isaac and its various versions elsewhere before putting 300 hours in on the Switch? I couldn't say. It took the Switch release of FF7 for me to finally finish it, twenty odd years on. I'm working through Resi HD and I'll finish that for the first time ever, no doubt. I loved the first Phoenix Wright game a decade ago but never finished any others. I know I'll get through them all on the Switch and I'm loving it as much as ever when I put in half an hour before bed from time to time.

I'm going off on a tangent and I don't really have a point except that I do feel compelled to play stuff on that system. I also have a lot of amazing games on there, the best, most varied library I've ever had on any system. The only shit thing really is that knowing Nintendo, there will never be any backwards compatibility or any acknowledgement of these purchases when the next gen Switch comes out. At least Microsoft and Sony are making an effort in that respect. As much as it might be sacrilegious and evidence that I'm 'part of the problem', I know that when the time comes I will either buy the ones I want again or I'll pirate them.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Nice! You got it in the bag now.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I can't believe I was advised against getting Caladrius Blaze for £2 on Steam or something, now it's £22 on Switch and people are buying it :D

I've played nothing for the last three nights. Feels weird. Need to get back in the groove.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Is it a shit shmup or is it just the scantily clad anime that puts some off? (not something that bothers me in most circumstances tbh unless it's over the top / clearly kids). Stanshall is considering double dipping so it must be decent, no?

Tbh I'm not interested in it anyway and have abandoned my interest in R-Type. I've got enough to be getting on with, and having tried the demo for R-Type it doesn't seem that great really. I'll just play the originals if I want to rather than waste £8. My PayPal tenner remains... Quite proud of myself for that.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 11:55 am Save it for a good un (one that I like). I'll give you a shout if anything comes up.
:thumbsup:

There's an interesting cartooney hori I saw in the "recent releases" bit of the eshop actually. Helpfully, I can't remember the title but it had O in it I think. I'll post if I recall it. I was gonna ask you guys about it. Looks a bit Parodius meets Cuphead
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

That's it!

Shelved for now. Come to think of it, it did look a little stuttery in the vid.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Found an article that literally calls out Parodius and Cuphead http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/swi ... yo_blaster

Maybe I should write for games? Or maybe it was just blindingly obvious.

8/10. Seems generous based on your assessment!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: July 16th, 2019, 5:19 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: July 16th, 2019, 4:51 pm
hazeredmist wrote: July 16th, 2019, 4:23 pm Best shmups on Vita / 3DS?
Söldner-X 1 & 2 are supposed to be pretty good, although I haven't played them personally.
They're okay, but far too easy.
Really? I read in several reviews the difficulty is adaptive depending on how well you play, and the challenges are where the longevity comes from. Did you enjoy it? I'm seriously considering this one tbh, £9.99 including the DLC seems a great deal. Videos look great and I would like a decent Vita shmup.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah it was fun to play, I just didn't find it very hard. I think I got to the last level on one credit on my first go - I could be wrong, it's been a while since I played it.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Anyone played Shienryu on PS1 / Vita? Or indeed Saturn. Any good?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's pretty standard, solid fayre, to be honest. Nothing at all wrong with it but nothing to make it stand out particularly, either. Lot better shmups on the PS1.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers mate. I wonder if any other PS1 shmups are on PSN! It seemed cheap (3.99), video looked decent but nowt spectacular.

On a handheld tip for the moment... can’t get in my arcade area with these hot nights, the boy’s door has to be open and tappy clicks etc will wake him up!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I picked up Dimension Drive last week, and I think I've finally found a game that clicks with me.

It's sort of like Ikaruga.....in a way, except instead of changing colours, you jump from one side of the screen to the other.

I picked it up on a whim in HK last week and it's been a happy surprise.