Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Retro gaming

Post by ratsoalbion »

GAH
Suits

Post by Suits »

Class. For two reasons.

How was it Glenn ??
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hang on, I was laughing at the Alex 'The' Kid, until I just realised that's also wrong in the first place!! Hang On, Jungle Hunt (or something) and the snail maze game were built in to that one! :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, Alex The Kid in Miracle World was only built into the MS2 console.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Suits wrote: July 21st, 2019, 6:10 pm Class. For two reasons.
How was it Glenn ??
Not as busy as the one in March was. Picked up the few Master System things I was after in the first ten minutes then just nosied around until it started getting too busy for me.

I did see a copy of Cannon Spike for the Dreamcast, something I’ve been half keeping an eye out for, but he wanted £200 for it and it’s not *that* good.

Started to see a few people selling WiiU games as well, it’s officially retro now.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

For the first time in a long time I did a stock-take of my Saturn and Dreamcast collections the other day. Because they’re not all out on a shelf somewhere and the fact that both collections are relatively big at this point, I do lose track of what I have at times.

So for anyone interested in either system, below is what I’ve got currently for each. I’d really welcome recommendations for new additions, as I’m running out of steam with things I’d really like to pick up that aren’t crazy prices (damn you Deep Fear and Three Dirty Dwarves!)

Also would love to see other people's inventories for any system they care to share! :D

Sega Saturn Collection (PAL unless marked):
Spoiler: show
Astal (NTSC-J)
Athlete Kings
Baku Baku Animal
Burning Rangers
Bust-A-Move 2
Christmas NiGHTS
Clockwork Knight (NTSC-J)
Clockwork Knight 2 (NTSC-J)
Cyberbots (NTSC-J)
Daytona USA: Circuit Edition (NTSC-J)
Dead or Alive (NTSC-J)
Discworld
Discworld 2: Missing Presumed
Dragon Force
Duke Nukem
Dynamite Deka (NTSC-J)
Enemy Zero
Exhumed
Fighters Megamix
Fighting Vipers (NTSC-J)
Last Bronx (NTSC-J)
Layer Section (NTSC-J)
Manx TT Superbike
Marvel Super Heroes
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (NTSC-J)
NiGHTS Into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon (PAL & NTSC-J)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei (PAL & NTSC-J)
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Parodius Deluxe Pack (NTSC-J)
Quake
Saturn Bomberman (NTSC-J)
Sega Ages Vol.1
Sega Rally Championship
Shining Force 3
Shining The Holy Ark
Sonic Jam
Sonic R
Sonic 3D
Steep Slope Sliders
Street Fighter Collection incl. Super SF2, Super SF2 Turbo, SF Zero 2 Gold ((NTSC-J)
Tomb Raider
Vampire Hunter: Dark Stalkers Revenge (NTSC-J)
Vampire Saviour: The Lord Of Vampire (NTSC-J)
Virtua Fighter Remix (NTSC-J)
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers
Waku Waku 7 (NTSC-J)
Winter Heat
X-Men vs Street Fighter (NTSC-J)
Sega Dreamcast Collection (all PAL):
Spoiler: show
Bangai-O
Capcom vs SNK
Chu Chu Rocket
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Daytona USA 2001
Dead or Alive 2
Dynamite Cop
Ecco The Dolphin
F355 Challenge
Grandia 2
Headhunter
Jet Set Radio
Marvel vs Capcom
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Metropolis Street Racer
The Nomad Soul
Outtrigger
Phantasy Star Online
Power Stone
Project Justice: Rival Schools 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Sega Rally 2
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Skies of Arcadia
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Soul Calibur
Space Channel 5
Trick Style
Toy Commander
Virtua Fighter 3 TB
Zombie Revenge
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Has anyone tried out the Arcade 1UP cabinets? They don't ever seem worth it today due to the game selection, but that new Marvel collection looks pretty nice.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

They look nice but for me personally I don't think they're worth the money. If you have spare cash in abundance it would be great to have them all set up, but I think I'd rather build a MAME cab.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Mole Mania

So I've been playing a bit of Mole Mania on the GameBoy recently.

The cart I have is pretty battered but I love it all the same.

As far as GameBoy carts this can be one of the trickier ones to get hold of nowadays. Probably down to the fact that its a Miyamoto game and it increases its popularity. Released in 1996 ('97 over here) too, so pretty late run indeed !!

Whats handy is that its available on the 3DS eShop for a few quid, so is accessible to all, as it should be.

Anyway, its a cool little screen puzzle game.

You are tasked with rescuing your family of wife Mole and baby moles, from a very Bluto looking nasty dude called Jinbe. Swine.

The game is a series of maze style puzzles, where you have to navigate from one end of teh maze to the exit.

Along the way are a series of obstacles, baddies and items.

The cool bit is that Muddy (you) can dive down into the soil and move about in a separate plain, to reemerge above ground, ideally circumnavigating the obstacles above and getting to the exit.

It's very satisfying and compelling to move about and try things out.

It's a perfect commute game, I can just bust it out and quickly do a few map before I need to exit the train. It also saves per screen, so there's no real progress lost issue.

Well worth a look if you want something a little less up-tempo, cute and satisfying puzzle game.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits will be proud of me! Had a bit of fun modding my Nvidia Shield Portable, butchering a Xbox 360 pad to fix an issue with the buttons (common among Shields - the main buttons can get sticky or at worst fail to pop back up over time, particularly the A button.) For this I swapped out the button mat with the D-Pad mat from the 360 pad and the results are fantastic, it's SO much better, the buttons pop beautifully and feel great.

Action shot :D

Always fun ripping things to bits, particularly when it goes well.

Now I can get back to some decent retro gaming on this thing, which remains the king of retro handhelds. The PSP let me down last week so the Shield is back with a vengeance. Last night I played a bit of Half Life 2 which I intend to give a decent go on this thing (still a fantastic game - played the first half hour or so - that atmosphere man!) and some Ristar, this week's challenge game.

Suits

Post by Suits »

I approve greatly 😎.

Nice mate. What happened with the original rubbers then, did they just perish and split ??

Rubbers are so important to how a controller feels and it’s often simple, if a little fiddly, to freshen them up.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Visually the rubbers looked OK, they all still popped back up, but with a bit of stickiness on the A button which affects the feel greatly and the sound the button pop makes is significantly louder / annoying compared to the others. In many cases you read online about this device, it develops into the button occasionally not popping back up immediately, or worse. Kills a controller stone dead, obviously. The quality of the rubber is clearly not great, it's so common.

You're right about feel being essential. A good test is playing say a Mario game, holding down the run button with the end of your thumb, and the A button with the inside bit of your thumb. The feel of the pop is SO important here. Suggested fixes are to swap the buttons / dpad rubbers, but they're plasters, not true fixes. The best fix here is using an Xbox dpad rubber, which this time I finally had the balls to do. You have to cut it up to make it fit. But it is so worth it. The device is getting rarer now, never came out in the UK and Nvidia have dropped it. Butchering is the only way!
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: July 31st, 2019, 10:15 am ......playing say a Mario game, holding down the run button with the end of your thumb, and the A button with the inside bit of your thumb....
My wife, who isn’t a really gamer at all but insists on playing Mario 3, Animal Crossing and Picross regularly.... was blown away when I explained that technique to her recently.

She’s been playing single button single thumb style since the 90’s and how she managed to get all the way through Mario 3 not using that technique is incredible.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Suits wrote: July 25th, 2019, 7:46 pm Mole Mania

So I've been playing a bit of Mole Mania on the GameBoy recently. …
I played it too (on 3DS, would have preferred it on a cart/GBA but got it from eShop in the end) and it is pretty good!

Burrowing through the ground is indeed great fun! Admittedly it doesn't add that much to the game but it fits the theme well and it does activate the brain a bit when you have to predict where will you end up and so on.

The levels are well designed and the game's overall tone is quite humorous (although it does involve a kidnapping of a family and life / death situation), so it's very pleasant to play. It's also very reasonably priced (Jp eShop at least) – highly recommended for people who like puzzles!

I haven't finished it yet but am planning to go back to it as soon as I'm done with Catrap (also highly recommended).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: August 1st, 2019, 11:25 am
hazeredmist wrote: July 31st, 2019, 10:15 am ......playing say a Mario game, holding down the run button with the end of your thumb, and the A button with the inside bit of your thumb....
My wife, who isn’t a really gamer at all but insists on playing Mario 3, Animal Crossing and Picross regularly.... was blown away when I explained that technique to her recently.

She’s been playing single button single thumb style since the 90’s and how she managed to get all the way through Mario 3 not using that technique is incredible.
Bizarre! It's just a default thing isn't it, play 2D Mario, permanently hold sprint!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

So the PC Engine Mini that’s coming out early next year looks like it might be essential, if they don’t stuff the emulation.

The games list is *epic*.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s M2. They won’t stuff the emulation.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bizarre they're including Snatcher.... in Japanese.

What's the point of that? It's a great game. If you can understand it! There's already an English version on Mega CD, maybe they don't own the rights to the translation or something? Just seems completely pointless including it on the European release, though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

It's taken me pretty much 25 years but I have finally beaten Castlevania Adventure on the GameBoy.

This was a game I borrowed from my mate in my streets Dad, back when I was single figures in years and was impressed by its adult theme and art.

I picked up a cart a while ago but have never really managed to get past the final part of the second level (it's a four level game).

It's laggy as Hell and has rather bad controls, which can prove very fiddly later on.

For those that aren't aware it's a pretty neat action platform on the GameBoy that has platforming, chase levels, boss fights and four directional screen adventure.

Anyway, since the Castlevania Collection that realised a few months back and with the addition of save states, I have finally beaten Adventure.

I do feel a dirty for a few seconds using save states but having now played through the game I can honestly say I'd never be able to beat this on the cart.

Level 3 is hard but level 4 and the final multi stage fight with Dracula would take many, many lives to learn the pattern and come out victorious.

Still very fun though and ultimately very pleasing to see the nice open ending and credits roll.

Then, a few weeks ago the opportunity presented itself to pick up a very nice complete copy of Super Mario Advance 3:Yoshi's Island on the GBA.

I have an odd relationship with this game in the terms of that, again, I've never finished it.

I'm a massive (like many) fan of Super Mario Land, however when this came out I had moved on to other things and had the Playstation in my sights, so it slipped me by.

I had played it a number of times and got rather far, I've just never managed to finish it off.

The closest I've come is a few years ago on my 1-Chip Super Famicom and JP cart.

Also, Yoshi's Island, uses the newer Super-FX2 chip in its cart, which has for a while made it very hard to emulate, or rather a lot of work to get a single game up and running.

This seemed like an obvious pick up, as I now have all of the Super Mario Advance games (I just need one box, SMA2) and due to the fact it's on a portable the accessibility of it will make it much easier to pick up and flop on the sofa with.

It plays well on the GBA and adds a few bonus levels to the game.

I'm two worlds in and still appreciate the faster pace and level design and music to this then the more recent slower, cake walk games.

Much more challenging and personally superior in many many ways to the current Yoshi games.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

So, I'm not planning on this anytime soon, but the X-Box C&R and this thread have me interested in Mame and what goes into making a Mame cabinet. Anyone have any good guides to recommend? I was looking at this...
https://toddmoore.com/arcade/

Any better suggestions?