Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Shmups

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hey, um... clippa? :)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I've had little time to sit down and haven't invested myself fully in much since the Rolling Gunner 1cc. Think I subconsciously needed a break from the heavy investment, though I have dabbled in a few things since. with the little gaming time I've had.

The gathering hasn't stopped though - I've loaded a lot of classic shmups to my Shield to play in MAME, basically all the old Cave / Psikyo games. Nice to have them in my hands, prep for the moses basket months at the end of the year.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: August 1st, 2019, 9:51 am all the old Cave
So, how old are we talking here? Would you mind listing them off? Because I'm sure there are gonna be some true specimens in there.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Well I say all, just the ones I could find in the 0.139u1 list... I will list them aye just need to grab the Shield :) There will definitely be others. I'm quite new to MAME and this time (my Retropi was set up by someone else) I'm adding things myself with MAME which is a first.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

He might just want a hug :owl:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I just want a hug.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

To be fair there are more Psikyo games there, and only a few Cave :D Any *old* ones (not sure if newer ones work this way?) I might find under the 0.139u1 romset I'm happy to get recommendations!

Added Darius Gaiden too on PS1.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yay, a hug!

...By the way, completely unrelated of course, but wouldn't you know it? I just broke your BWRP highscore. :roll:

Good luck, have fun! :P
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Can I recommend FB Alpha as an alternative to MAME for earlier Cave stuff?

You've got:

Dodonpachi
Dodonpachi DaiOuJou
Espgaluda
ESP.Ra.De
Progear
Dangun Feveron

And they all run really well.

On top of that, you've got various Toaplan & Raizing stuff:

Armed Police Batrider
Battle Garegga
Giga Wing
Mars Matrix

And a good few more I can't remember.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m not even a Shmup fan but I find myself enjoying all the bonkers stuff going on in this pocket of the forum haha.

You lot crack me up. I’ve got some Cave games lined up for some point later in the year so I can offer my 2 pence. I’ll swoop in then when I’ve got some pitiful scores you can all chuckle at😋
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: August 1st, 2019, 5:27 pm I’ve got some Cave games lined up for some point later in the year so I can offer my 2 pence.
YEEEEEEEEES

One. Of. Us.
One. Of. Us.
One. Of. Us.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Get the hell out while you still can!!!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Oh cool! I'm guessing it will be released at about £60, so I'll stick with my £3 PSN version.

Check out the Ikaruga price disparity digitally, standard pricing no sales:

£7.99 PSN https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/pro ... 0000000000
£13.49 Switch eShop https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 83085.html

Switch tax is real, absolutely real. Loads of games seem way overpriced, sadly in the shmup landscape too. Psyvariar, Caladrius, Raiden, all over £20 digitally and available digitally FAR cheaper on other stores.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: August 2nd, 2019, 11:21 pm The vasara collection is currently half price on the nintendo eshop, not a mistake.
If you're happy pre-ordering and that's the version you want, offer is good until release date (15th August) - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 13808.html

Both games are playable in mame if you want to try them out first.
I bought this while pissed last night, I was just coming here to mention and was wondering if you’d bollock me - glad to see you raising it too! Phew
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've been looking forward to the Vasara Collection, too. Hopefully there's a similar discount when the pre-orders go live on PS4!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

That does look cool and rather Neko-like! Officially on the radar. The "Japan-ness" in that vid doesn't bother me at all, tbh (it rarely does). Is it called Alice Blades?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 5th, 2019, 3:13 pm I've not been playing any shmups lately.
Lets all play espgaluda!
Hey, what happened to BWRP? :(
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Oh, okay. :|

I thought for sure we were gonna have a nice little competition going between us, especially since you had been suggesting something similar for weeks...
clippa wrote: July 7th, 2019, 9:59 am Just pick a game and I'll play it too and pound your scores into the dirt, that'll help us both relax.
I really love this game and it would have been nice to have someone to play it with, especially since it doesn't have any official leaderboards, but okay.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 5th, 2019, 9:31 pm Why'd you have to turn autoguard off?
That's dirty play! You're a dirty owl!
Because this is the grown-ups table, my dear. Discipline is key. :D

clippa wrote: August 5th, 2019, 9:31 pm I didn't think I could hate you more and then you make me do this.
Feelings status: Hurt.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I played some Espgaluda today on FB Alpha and realised how shit the input lag actually is. Hmm. I'll just have to go back to Arcade Club very soon and get my fill. It's a cracking game.

However, my Daioujou fun times got me back into that on the 360 and I'm now determined to chain stage one. I've dipped my toe in here and there and tried to vaguely practise different routes but it's going to be my next decent shmup target, I've decided. Already got my chain up to around 700 before it collapses but I'm getting pretty consistent with it. This next link is going to be a beast but I'll get there. It's a brilliant game already but when you sustain that chain and the hypers are tumbling down the screen, it's on another level.