The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

The NES games being added to the Switch Online service in August are:

Kung-Fu Heroes
Vice: Project Doom

Can't say I've ever heard of either, but looking at videos and reviews Vice:PD looks pretty cool.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Looks like there’s an official wireless SNES controller on its way to the Switch.

Just in time for Nintendo to announce the much requested, essential, Super Nintendo games for the system.

I’m sure these will be released and people will instantly demand N64 games for the service also.

Mind, I wonder if it’ll be a separate service, part of the already existing Nintendo Online package, or a new tiered service we are yet to see.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: August 13th, 2019, 2:00 pm Looks like there’s an official wireless SNES controller on its way to the Switch.

Just in time for Nintendo to announce the much requested, essential, Super Nintendo games for the system.

I’m sure these will be released and people will instantly demand N64 games for the service also.

Mind, I wonder if it’ll be a separate service, part of the already existing Nintendo Online package, or a new tiered service we are yet to see.
Snes games being part of Nintendo online would get me on board as a current non subscriber.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd happily pay double per year for a decent selection of games. Unfortunately, there's a lot of stuff not likely to appear given the various full price compilation packs from different devs about. Still plenty to pick from though.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: August 13th, 2019, 2:00 pmI’m sure these will be released and people will instantly demand N64 games for the service also.
It's posts like this which remind me you're also in management! You will never, ever please everyone 8-)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think there's a lot from the N64 I'd really want to play through to be honest. Paper Mario, Mario 64 and Conkers aside.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Suits wrote: August 13th, 2019, 2:00 pm I’m sure these will be released and people will instantly demand N64 games for the service also.
I mean, unless they make literally the entire Nintendo library available, there will obviously always be more to want, but a decent selection of SNES games would probably satisfy most people for the moment.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Amazign if true. Fingers crossed!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I can imagine it would be a library of games similar to the SNES mini, with games drip fed in a way similar to the current up. That should probably keep licensing issues to a minimum.

I’d obviously be happy with the addition, but I fear the backlash from people if it came with a price hike, or tiered system as such.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

They've sold an awful lot of annual subscriptions to be raising the price or adding a new tier at this point. I suspect they'll just start adding 1 -2 per month alongside NES games, and use controller sales to monetize them.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Nice! That must must must be a sign that SNES games are coming, given the NES controllers they previously released.

Please get on with it, Nintendo.
Suits

Post by Suits »

JadePhoenix wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:20 pm I suspect they'll just start adding 1 -2 per month alongside NES games, and use controller sales to monetize them.
Thats probably the ideal scenario really.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

New Bubble Bobble game coming for Switch:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... _to_switch
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Looks interesting. When I saw that, I had a look to see if Rainbow Islands had made its way to Switch, and was disappointed it hadn't.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hamster hasn’t released RI on anything (yet), though I believe they have the rights to (via Taito).

There’s a rights issue with the music you see. They’ve got around this in Bomb Jack by removing Lady Madonna altogether, but they can’t really take the main musical track - Over the Rainbow - out of Rainbow Islands!

Back on the PS2/Xbox a compilation was released which contained a version with the main melody line removed in a bid to avoid the eye of MGM’s lawyers...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 15th, 2019, 12:54 pm Hamster hasn’t released RI on anything (yet), though I believe they have the rights to (via Taito).

There’s a rights issue with the music you see. They’ve got around this in Bomb Jack by removing Lady Madonna altogether, but they can’t really take the main musical track - Over the Rainbow - out of Rainbow Islands!

Back on the PS2/Xbox a compilation was released which contained a version with the main melody line removed in a bid to avoid the eye of MGM’s lawyers...
What a shame though that such a stupid reason is what's stopping re-releases of a great game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've only got a handful of people added on my Switch friends list, so reposting my code - if anyone wants to add, please do. Especially if you play any high score type games with leaderboards. Outrun, Thumper and Pinball FX3, along with some mini games in Mario Odyssey are pretty good for score chasing.

SW-8257-5116-1420

I did search here for people's codes but there don't seem to be that many posted about.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Mine was in my sig but I think there was a security issue with sigs, so they got disabled.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits

Post by Suits »

I'd like to try a pair out, they look like they'll turn the Switch into skateboard size though :lol: .