Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo » August 14th, 2019, 5:53 am

It also turns off all the story stuff.

Suits

Post by Suits » August 14th, 2019, 6:11 am

Doom’s challenge mode was tough but good if I remember.

Took me a while to get Gold on all the modes.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 14th, 2019, 7:30 am

duskvstweak wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 9:50 pm
Well, after a slightly depressing wall, I finally made some real progress in Hollow Knight. I upgraded my nail, got a few new moves, including the sweet, sweet double jump and beat a few bosses. I finally feel like I have a grasp on the platforming and combat.
And, I'm using the bank. That's removed a lot of heartbreak.
DON'T USE THE BANK!!

:lol:

Chopper

Post by Chopper » August 14th, 2019, 11:29 am

Been having a look at my yearly installment of MLB The Show (19) and I think the gamification elements have tipped it over into the aggravating side of things.

It's still the only sim baseball game, and is amazing at what it does, gameplay wise. But the platform exclusivity and low sales (it sells c. 500K a year, I believe) have led to a regrettable evolution. The card collecting aspect has bled into the other modes now, so when I'm playing the career mode I get half arsed reward cards for that. A lot of customisation options have been removed in recent years, so instead of carefully moulding my player's attributes, I now have to pick one of three archetypes (flamethower, control freak, plain filthy) and go from there. And they have added another layer this year where I have to choose a personality type, and this affects all my other interactions - based on responses in conversation, I can get points in one of 4 categories, and these points unlock perks, which are absoutely the worst thing ever.

For example, my pitcher can have a perk that prevents batters hitting fly balls with a man on third and less than two outs. Euros won't know the significance of that (it's a common way for a batter to drive in a run) but that is totally subverting the way the game is played in real life.

You can choose not to take these perks but every interaction in the game is geared towards developing them so they are in your face all the time. Also, games are interrupted by the developers dropping a challenge in as you are playing, where you have to choose from several options of increasing difficulty right in the middle of whatever you are damn doing right then. A corollary in FIFA would be, say if you launch a counterattack, the game stops and says, would you like to score in either of the corners for 50 bonus attribute points, or nutmeg the keeper for 200 attribute points? And you choose and get a CHALLENGE WON or CHALLENGE FAILED splash screen.

Very, very disappointing :(

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » August 14th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 7:30 am
duskvstweak wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 9:50 pm
Well, after a slightly depressing wall, I finally made some real progress in Hollow Knight. I upgraded my nail, got a few new moves, including the sweet, sweet double jump and beat a few bosses. I finally feel like I have a grasp on the platforming and combat.
And, I'm using the bank. That's removed a lot of heartbreak.
DON'T USE THE BANK!!

:lol:
WHA???

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » August 14th, 2019, 4:47 pm

That’s some sound advice from Alex!

Still mainlining Castlevanias on Switch!

Finally finished Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest. It’s fun to play once it gets going, and the mansion “dungeons” are great, but apart from a couple of annoying enemies, the only real challenge is navigation. That said, I managed to find my way to the most obscure location by being distracted and forgetting to get off a boat when I originally intended!

I did use a walkthrough to help with the first hour and a few times after, but with a couple of exceptions, the map isn’t that big that you won’t find your way eventually. The final boss is the easiest you’ll ever fight too - I’d whipped Dracula to death before he’d even properly got onto the screen! It’s worth playing but I do recommend swallowing your pride and using a helping hand to get you started or there’s a good chance you won’t bother getting far.

In parallel, I finished off the Konami Castlevania Anniversary Collection with Bloodlines. It’s definitely the most technically impressive of these games, the soundtrack is amazing, and it plays great with its new abilities, but it seems to have lost some of its soul. I’m sure that’s mostly down to the diverse European locations that mix things up, but I wanted to play this in medieval Transylvania, not a German World War One munitions factory! I thought some of the bosses would be more suited to Mega Man than this too, and some just outstayed their welcome - little challenge, just whip-sponges. One of the better Dracula fights in the series though - really well balanced. But nowhere near my favourite game in the series...

Super Castlevania IV again on the SNES Classic Mini next. I’m completely addicted!

Post by Default » August 14th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Grimvalor on Android with Bluetooth controller.

Dark Souls clearly referenced with multiple 'You died' screens, and many other similarities.

Dank environments and music notes.
Not sure the depth of the lore equates but the git gud approach, failing and learning does.

Regular enemies seem less challenging with difficulty spikes with bosses

Early stages still so will update when I've made more progress.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » August 15th, 2019, 11:02 am

Playing Arkham Origins at the moment. I wanted to mop up the collectibles as well as replay the story so chose new game plus. Having played the game on easy I think with all the hints turned on it was a bit of a shock as the difficulty is ramped up, harder enemies appear earlier and all the hints for counters are turned off.

At first I hated It as two bullets or a few punches was enough to kill me. Add on top having to read the enemy movements and pre-empt their attacks to counter or get your own attack in it was all extremely difficult. A couple of low ranking street thugs would wipe the floor with me.

I’m so glad I persisted as now I love it. Playing it this way is so satisfying as every single encounter carries a threat. A combination of planning, patience and adapting to the situation have made this experience on another level compared to my previous playthroughs of Arkham games.

Nice, very nice.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » August 16th, 2019, 6:48 am

During my stay in Nepal, me, my kids and my nephews were playing the first Super Mario Galaxy (I "completed" it back in the day).

My brother in law who lives in Berlin had gifted his Nintendo Wii to the kids of my sister in law (my nephews) on his last visit, but they only had a few fairly crappy games for it (not even Wii Sports, I found out!). We were going to stay there and I wanted to give them one of the best games you can get for that system.

I also had to bring my original composite cable, as the old CRT TV in the living room that they had it set up to didn't accept RGB or component.

It took them a while to pull themselves away from Roblox on their tablet, but once they did, they became throroughly absorbed by the sheer wonder, imagination and playability on display in that game and they kept talking about the hungry lumas, the monster eels in the caves in Beach Bowl Galaxy, the scary black holes, Boo Mario and so much more, when we were out and about.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » August 16th, 2019, 4:17 pm

That’s a really lovely story! Good to hear Mario is good enough to tear them away from Roblox:)

Kacey

Post by Kacey » August 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Takin' a look at Need for Speed Carbon: Own The City for the DS. Not to be confused with the game by the same name on the PSP, or the one on the GBA, since they're different games with the same premise and cover...

Looking back at this era of handheld and console ports/alternate versions is really interesting to me. Working from a much more complex or technically impressive source material (Half-Life 1/2 on PC, NFS games on console) and seeing how the dev teams worked them backwards onto weaker hardware (HalfLife on PS2, Half-Life 2 on Xbox, NFS on GBA/DS) is fascinating.

The NFS games are a bit hit or miss across the various handhelds- Most Wanted 5-1-0 on the PSP is pretty bad while the GBA games were decent if you could stomach the graphics. Carbon for the DS is pretty solidly in the middle, IMO.. It's a 3D racer that runs at 60FPS which is impressive and its mechanics have been mostly well adapted for the DS. Surprisingly, there's a really decent amount of car customization- including the typical fare like performance mods, vinyls and paint- all the way to gauge cluster mods, dashboard mods and mirror toys--your bottom screen is a dashboard-style HUD, with the top screen being a completely hud-less affair dedicated completely to your car and the track.

Having fun with it. hand's cramping up a bit- the DS's smaller buttons don't feel as good as the GBA's for holding a gas pedal for an extended period.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » August 18th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Kacey wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm
Takin' a look at Need for Speed Carbon: Own The City for the DS. Not to be confused with the game by the same name on the PSP, or the one on the GBA, since they're different games with the same premise and cover...
Interesting. I dabbled a bit in a few of the handheld NFS games of this period too. I was always disappointed that the first one on PSP wasn't open world like the main console games had recently become at the time. But I was impressed that Carbon on the PSP actually managed to include that, and it was interesting that they achieved that by re-purposing a chunk of the map from the console version of Most Wanted. Taking that same street layout and giving it a completely different feel.

I was under the impression that the DS games were inferior and not worth paying attention to. It's not like the PSP games were great either, so it didn't seem like there was much to miss. I played the Underground games on GBA too, and always found them really hard to get on with. But it's cool they managed to improve them, and get 60fps no less.

Kacey

Post by Kacey » August 18th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Scrustle wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 3:25 pm
Kacey wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm
Interesting. I dabbled a bit in a few of the handheld NFS games of this period too. I was always disappointed that the first one on PSP wasn't open world like the main console games had recently become at the time. But I was impressed that Carbon on the PSP actually managed to include that, and it was interesting that they achieved that by re-purposing a chunk of the map from the console version of Most Wanted. Taking that same street layout and giving it a completely different feel.

I was under the impression that the DS games were inferior and not worth paying attention to. It's not like the PSP games were great either, so it didn't seem like there was much to miss. I played the Underground games on GBA too, and always found them really hard to get on with. But it's cool they managed to improve them, and get 60fps no less.
It's very inconsistent which version was the best. Underground on the PSP was better than the DS, Most Wanted on the GBA was the best of the three versions. I wonder how Undercover on the PSP fares.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 18th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Did you ever try the Vita port of Most Wanted? I'm not a big fan of the open world racing game, but it was an impressive achievement fitting pretty much that entire game on to handheld, and it still looked great too.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » August 19th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Four days with no gaming, and I'm not feeling Football, Tactics & Glory any more, which is a pity. It's an excellent game, but a bit of a grind. One season I had 3 wins, 3 losses, and 14 0-0 draws, and that wasn't exceptional :lol:

I've been on a big strategy/space game binge this summer, and looking at my backlog, it's all strategy or space games. Next will probably be Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, which I wasn't going to get, but is EUR 24.99 on PC, and I enjoyed the first, so I feel like I should support it at that price.

Hevi_Metaru

Post by Hevi_Metaru » August 20th, 2019, 4:06 am

Playing through Resident Evil - Director's Cut on PS1 (via emulation on PC). Thoroughly enjoying it. Hated the constant dying and reloading of save games at the start. However, eventually appreciated it because it made me approach each room with ultra-caution. Now I think the game is a masterpiece of design and it truly makes me scared, not necessarily because of the zombies, but of dying and having my time erased.

Hevi_Metaru

Post by Hevi_Metaru » August 20th, 2019, 4:08 am

Michiel K wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 6:48 am
During my stay in Nepal, me, my kids and my nephews were playing the first Super Mario Galaxy (I "completed" it back in the day).

My brother in law who lives in Berlin had gifted his Nintendo Wii to the kids of my sister in law (my nephews) on his last visit, but they only had a few fairly crappy games for it (not even Wii Sports, I found out!). We were going to stay there and I wanted to give them one of the best games you can get for that system.

I also had to bring my original composite cable, as the old CRT TV in the living room that they had it set up to didn't accept RGB or component.

It took them a while to pull themselves away from Roblox on their tablet, but once they did, they became throroughly absorbed by the sheer wonder, imagination and playability on display in that game and they kept talking about the hungry lumas, the monster eels in the caves in Beach Bowl Galaxy, the scary black holes, Boo Mario and so much more, when we were out and about.

That's a sweet CRT man.

Kacey

Post by Kacey » August 20th, 2019, 4:09 am

Alex79uk wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 6:58 pm
Did you ever try the Vita port of Most Wanted? I'm not a big fan of the open world racing game, but it was an impressive achievement fitting pretty much that entire game on to handheld, and it still looked great too.
YES! I had it when it was new. Absolutely incredible handheld port on the level of Midnight Club 3 and LA for the PSP. It had some pretty ugly textures and aliasing but genuinely, taking that with me to school at the time was worth it. I wanna pick up another copy.

Suits

Post by Suits » August 20th, 2019, 5:31 am

I’ve completely stopped playing Fire Emblem.

It’s very good, I’m just not in the mood. Also, I’m thinking about restarting in hard, as everyone recommends.

So yeah, skipping that for the moment I feel.

I’ve just reached Hell in Doom 3 and very much enjoying that and listening/reading to all the PDA’s you find.

As well as that I’m still playing Yoshi’s Island on my SP mainly on the train into work and I’ve started Castlevania 2: Belmont’s Revenge in the Gameboy - it’s a much better game than the first on that console I’m almost every way. Mainly the controls and performance though.

Astral Chain next week, which I’m excited for - although the more gameplay videos I’m seeing the less I think I will enjoy it.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » August 20th, 2019, 5:46 am

Still struggling to find any enthusiasm for new games at the mo, so i'm relying on old favourites. I finished Doom 1 and 2, started 3 and Doom 2016 but I need a break from demon slaying.

Started the SNES DKC trilogy for the show in September, with varying results. More on the show! ;)

Also with Age of Empires HD hitting Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, I've started that. Hoping something completely different tickles my fancy.