Spelunky

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Spelunky

Post by ratsoalbion »

You never need to apologise for resurrecting a thread on this forum.

Great work!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I do like that Pat Butcher Walrus though.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 14th, 2019, 10:35 pm Don't want to talk about it.
Look at the bright side: It appears as if Derek Yu cares more about the quality of his finished product and/or the well-being of his employees than about following arbitrary deadlines. Like Miyamoto said: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.". Spelunky 2 will come out sooner or later and in all likelihood, it'll have benefited from the extra development time.

Instant gratification isn't your friend.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Completely agree with sage owl.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Definitely. Besides, I’ve still never quite beaten the original...
😢
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I play it sporadically, but my podcast gaming schedule doesn’t allow for commitment to anything else.

I’ve got to the ‘final’ (regular) boss a number of times, I’ve just not quite managed to dump him in the lava. I’ll keep playing it from time to time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think the furthest I've ever got is the ice area which is maybe 3rd area?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s permanently installed on PS4 and when I have a spare 15 mins I do the daily challenge.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

On PS4 anyway, yes, since 2014 or whenever it came out. Not on the last gen versions though.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

...on the Vita too, last time I played it anyway.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: August 15th, 2019, 11:59 am Yeah, you'll breeze through that if you find a jetpack. Have you given up or do you still have the odd go sometimes too?
I'll very occasionally have a go on it on Vita, and my eldest play co-op on PS4 now and then, but no I don't really play it any more. It never really clicked with me to be honest, which is odd because I should love it on paper, but just never found it that much fun.
Suits

Post by Suits »

How is this not on Switch.

I have it on Xbox but like most things, I feel like I’d play a lot more of it if it was on the Switch.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I have it on Vita and Xbox, bought it twice while desperately trying to get into it during the hype back in the day. it's not a game I'd buy again on Switch - happy to have the handheld option on Vita.

Fell off it fairly hard, never really got into it beyond finishing the first few levels. Too many moments of insta-death demanding endless repetition to learn and overcome them. In terms of roguelikes I much, much prefer the gameplay of Binding of Isaac. I just didn't find Spelunky much fun.

It was very popular though so I'm surprised it's not been ported to Switch, seems a no-brainer.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Can't believe I just bought this virtual dust collector a third time at the behest of Spamming Miss Daisy.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: November 21st, 2019, 3:07 pmroguelites
Knew you'd love that :P

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 875143C5D/

Okay, what about this one, clippa?

I can't bomb through that wall, as it would require two bombs. I could have gone back up on the left using a rope (or two) but the ceiling of that little chamber is also too thick to destroy with only one bomb.

Any way I look at it, it seems like the RNG just decided to lock the dog away from me for no good reason. Am I missing anything here?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: November 28th, 2019, 5:00 pm How have you only got one bomb left on the second stage?
I'm mostly using bombs to get to places I can't otherwise get to, especially when it allows me to get more gems or gain access to chests. I think there were two instances of that on the first stage.

I assume this isn't strategically advantageous, but please keep in mind I know next to nothing about the meta-game and all the advanced optimization techniques at this point.

PS: And yeah, I had already figured out the trick with the big spider's web!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I think for me, Spelunky is a game you have to plough through a lot of pain learning the systems / RNG - as opposed to the levels - which aren't immediately apparent, much like other rogueliKes. Whether you break through and get to the point where it "clicks" isn't a guarantee. You have to be enjoying a game to want to keep playing it.

My biggest example is Binding of Isaac, which I actively disliked for ooh, 5 hours at least across PC / Vita, before having a final push on Switch and finally getting it. Then it became ridiculously addictive and I *had* to get to the big boss. Not the end end end end end boss which would really give me the t-shirt, but the one where I can respectably say "I beat more of this game than most will" and have some real satisfaction.

I may try Spelunky again sometime, I respect it and I understand what you are saying Clippa about it not being "broken" or the game's fault - but the platformer gameplay doesn't gel with me as much, so it's a harder task to put the hours in to have this Neo-style epiphany with it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I do wish I was more in to Spelunky, because I love everything about the game except actually playing it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

😄😄