Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
KSubzero1000

Re: Shmups

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 14th, 2019, 10:04 am

Oof. That's rough, man. I've noticed how distant you can sometimes be in the past, but I had absolutely no idea there was such a tragic reason for it. Very sorry to hear you had to go through that. You're among friends here, mate. :)

...Would it be okay if some deranged bastard were to secretly download MAME, spend years fine-tuning his DOJ skills, hop on a plane, sneak into Arcade Club in the middle of the night, break all your scores, hop on a plane back home immediately afterwards and leave you to stare at his unmistakable three-letter signature in utter confusion and disbelief, however? :lol:
Spoiler: show
SPC

clippa

Post by clippa » August 14th, 2019, 10:29 am

Dear god! That's food for thought, alright. I think I've given out my full name and posted a picture of my stupid face on here and I think hazeredmist has my adress. It's only a matter of time before I get a sword up the letterbox!
Blimey! I mean, I was only kidding really, keeping me at arms length is the only sane approach, even I know that, anything less than slapping distance and you're a fool to yourself, but bloody hell!
Christ!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 14th, 2019, 10:52 am

Wow Stan. You met a real life Keyboard Dynasty Warrior. Sounds like you were lucky to escape uninjured! We've all had our scrapes over the years I'm sure but that has to be one insanely rare exception when online meets IRL.

To highlight positives, I've had so many positive experiences with people I've chatted to online or from eBay or something, it's crazy (not to mention here which has been all very positive!):

- eBay guy I bought records from a couple of times many years go, convo got struck up in messages about music. Long story short he became a lifelong friend, co-founded our record label Red Mist with me, and we set up a blind date with his now-wife. They have two kids.

- Chats with guy who ran a record label. Become another lifelong friend. Lives in the states now but we still keep in touch. Helped me a lot over the years, vice versa. Released his music on our own record label many times.

- Dude in Bournmouth, chats on forums. Another lifelong friend. Visited IRL several times while on business trips down his way, always a good laugh

- Chats on an old music forum with a couple of artists, ended up booking them for an event up in Newcastle, incredible days. Many reciprocal things down their way.

- Sound engineer became a good friend after chats elsewhere, ended up mastering albums for us. I went down and DJ'd at his clubnight in Reading.

...the list goes on and on. I've met many others I've conversed with on forums while doing events and things too. I don't think I've actually had a single bad online > IRL experience come to think of it!

clippa

Post by clippa » August 14th, 2019, 10:57 am

Yes, yes, but do you own a sword? That's all I want to know.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 14th, 2019, 10:59 am

:lol:

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » August 14th, 2019, 11:27 am

Wow, that sword story.

Just came back from my trip to Nepal and, at my son's recommendation ("daddy, they have a shoot 'em up on here!") on the way there, I played a bit of this Space Invaders clone called INVASION on the Qatar Airways flight back. Kind of amusing to try out. It features bosses that spit out a surprising amount of bullets and a tiered super attack system where one of the tiered supers is a DDP laser beam.

The controls via the stringed on remote were super laggy, though. And the game kept crashing after the second boss, even though it had automatically created a reloadable save state of my score and standing in the game up until then.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 15th, 2019, 10:45 am

Fired up Dodonpachi Resurrection duing an ill-advised late night, and had a go on Black Label.

Christ. Exciting as hell but man it is tough! I played through 4 stages I think (using quite a few continues) and it's baffling to be how you'd survive without using credits. I think it was on Novice mode but damn if that's novice I'd hate to see Expert :D I think I will complete the playthrough first then go back to the regular Novice mode which may end up feeling easier. Hard as nails this stuff (to me at least) but very enjoyable.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 15th, 2019, 10:53 am

hazeredmist wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 10:45 am
I think it was on Novice mode but damn if that's novice I'd hate to see Expert :D
I think it's important to note that DDP handles difficulty a bit differently than other games. I don't think there is any dedicated "Expert" mode but there are noticeable changes in enemy / bullet patterns depending on the ship and fire mode you're using. So depending on those factor you might have made the game harder on yourself without realizing it. ;)

But yeah, DDP in general can be pretty tough, even BL Novice. I would recommend sticking to regular Novice for now until you've gotten used to the controls and various mechanics.

There is an absolute treasure trove of game design quality to be discovered here, but it's probably very easy to burn oneself out on the difficulty curve...

clippa

Post by clippa » August 15th, 2019, 10:54 am

Yeah, it's very daunting, but nowhere near as hard as it looks. You might not be ready for it just yet but remember that. After you've played it for a few hours, it stops being so scary. Make sure you're playing "strong" mode when you choose your ship. That's like autobomb mode.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 15th, 2019, 11:21 am

clippa wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 10:54 am
Make sure you're playing "strong" mode when you choose your ship. That's like autobomb mode.
Bomb Style has auto-bomb too, though. And even Power Style has the option if you can find and keep a bomb in storage.

More here: http://www.slateman.net/faqs/ddp4.txt

And here: https://cavedb.com/reviews/dodonpachi-daifukkatsu/
Speaking of autobombing, this is a controversial element found throughout the game, in all three styles. However, it works better than you might assume. In Bomb and Strong styles, when you get hit and release an autobomb, it kills your chain just as a death would, and the bomb only lasts 2 seconds (and does little to no damage).

It's a bit difficult to find any concrete information on this, but the reason I'm hesitant to recommend Strong Style is because I think it may actually make the enemies more aggressive and the bullets faster. It makes the player ship very powerful, but I think there is a trade-off. Strong Style isn't necessarily the best option for survival.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 15th, 2019, 11:35 am

I can't rememeber exactly what I picked but I know I went for something that said Autobomb :D
KSubzero1000 wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 10:53 am
I think it's important to note that DDP handles difficulty a bit differently than other games. I don't think there is any dedicated "Expert" mode but there are noticeable changes in enemy / bullet patterns depending on the ship and fire mode you're using. So depending on those factor you might have made the game harder on yourself without realizing it. ;)
^ this sounds plausible...

clippa

Post by clippa » August 15th, 2019, 11:46 am

I've just always gone strong style. I think this is where I saw the recommendation for new players.
2.3 Strong Mode
・Strong mode has higher power in shot and laser and is very easy to get a 1-all with. A 2-all is also not too challenging with this mode.
・However, Strong mode does not have Power's ability to cancel bullets for hyper meter and tends to kill enemies much quicker, meaning that scoring runs in Strong will need tricks to keep the chain intact and the hyper meter full.
・Auto-bomb= when you are hit and you have a bomb item remaining, the bomb item will be used.
・Duration of the bomb will be much shorter than a bomb that you choose to use (i.e. hitting B).
Aaaah, maybe that's why I'm so bad at chaining, I need to try a different mode! I'll have to experiment the next time I fire it up.

Which mode do you use, owly? What's your score, what's your score?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 15th, 2019, 11:58 am

clippa wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 11:46 am
I'll have to experiment the next time I fire it up.
Please do. I'd be interested to hear a second opinion on whether or not the fire style influences the enemy behavior / aggressiveness or not. And btw, I think the in-game flavor text specifically describes Bomb Style as being "good for beginners" or something, so I wouldn't write it off just yet. I also hear that Power Style might be the best for scoring.

Not sure why the idea that "Strong Style is the only one worth using" is so pervasive, but I don't think it really holds up under scrutiny, to be honest.

clippa wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 11:46 am
Which mode do you use, owly? What's your score, what's your score?
Original - 49,364,750. For now, that is. :P

clippa

Post by clippa » August 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Sorry, I meant what style? Or have you not decided yet?

My chaining is awful but my high score is 5,777,377,607. There's been 2 separate reddit high score competitions for this ruddy game, despite my protestations "Aaaaaw, maaam! We've already done this. I hated it first time round!" but I'm glad because I'm not sure I would have gotten into it otherwise. I was warming to it during the first one and then something clicked during the second, and I was "Here, this is pretty bangin', afterall!"
I might fire up mame and have a go on daioujou later, see what all the fuss is about, beat Stanshall's max chain on my first go.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » August 15th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Haha. I would welcome the competition! :twisted:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 15th, 2019, 12:17 pm

clippa wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm
Sorry, I meant what style? Or have you not decided yet?
...That was my way of very subtly suggesting we stay on BWRP for now, because that's the exact score you were proudly declaring was going to "get smashed" two weeks ago. :P

After that, we'll both go see what DDPR has in store for us. Deal? :?:

clippa

Post by clippa » August 15th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Yeah, I keep doing blue wish, and having the odd go of hellsinker here and there.
I'm gonna just have one quick go of daioujo though, I had a go a couple of months back and I can't remember how far I got. I won't get anywhere near stanshall's chains, I just want to see how far I can get winging it and see how hard the chaining is.
When we play DDPR, can we do that ketsuipachi mode? We'd both be fresh to that and I'd like to get into it.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 15th, 2019, 12:56 pm

clippa wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 12:53 pm
When we play DDPR, can we do that ketsuipachi mode? We'd both be fresh to that and I'd like to get into it.

Totally cool with me, that mode looks dope and I'd like to try it out myself at some point.

Have fun with DOJ! And good luck! :)

clippa

Post by clippa » August 15th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Good luck kid, just a couple more shots!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 15th, 2019, 1:11 pm

clippa wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 12:53 pm
ketsuipachi mode?
Is that "black label arrange" mode?
the blurb on Steam's page for DDP Res wrote:Control the Tiger Schwert from KETSUI in the first international release for this mode!
(don't worry I'm just curious, I won't join in - it would be like a kid on a BMX with stabilisers trying to keep up in the Tour De France)