Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Shmups

Post by Stanshall »

Sat down to learn DOJ stage 2 this morning but you're expected to start the stage with a couple of hypers or you can't do certain chains, so I would need to go through stage one every time and nail it to do that. Pretty frustrating scenario, if I'm honest. There is no training mode, just stage select. It's obviously OK if you're using save states and the like but I don't have that option on the 360. Hmm. After about five thousand attempts of stage one over the last week or two, I was ready to leave that for a little while. I know this is the only option for the Japanese arcade players but, you know. I wish DOJ Extra had the superb training mode of the 360 Futari port.

This is the consequence of painting by numbers.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yo clip. I've seen that well earned 'respect' so don't be editing it out now. I would do some MAME through the 360 but it's surprisingly crap with emulation, lots of emu stuff got dropped apparently because it's such hard work. OG XB is supposed to be much better. I think I'll just have to get on with it like one of those Japanese arcade champs because that's my destiny, anyway.

As for that sword fella (and thanks all for the kind words):
Spoiler: show
As I say, he'd arrived in China having fled charges of attacking people back home with a sword. He had also attacked a number of people in China before I told him to get to fuck - but I obviously didn't know about the other stuff then. I first encountered him when he was offering 'free lessons in swordsmanship' to any women on this forum so I posted a few double entendres, no more than a handful ( :P ), and he went apeshit and threatened to 'strike me down' and 'decapitate' me for not respecting a grandmaster. I laughed that off and we actually PM'd back and forth a couple of times about local info and restaurants and where to get Western clothes. He seemed OK on that level and I certainly didn't take his 'threat' seriously at all.

That said, he kept getting into arguments with other people on the forum and constantly going on about Tibet and Tiananmen Square and shit which got the forum temporarily banned by the ISP a few times (this happens quite often in China). Eventually, the Chinese admin banned him but for some reason he was convinced I was the admin, I don't know why. He turned up at my work a couple of days after that kicking off about it so I told him to fuck off. In hindsight, I don't know why but he just walked away. He got deported not long after, which was probably for the best all round, but I found out later that he'd had run-ins with plenty of people. I didn't take it personally, but I still learned something from it.

And KSub, sorry if I've ever come off distant or unfriendly, I am just quite a bit more reticent online than in real life, and I hope this puts it in some context.
Meanwhile, I've also been playing the Vasara Collection. It's decent. I like a bit of Psikyo, Raiden Fighters et al from time to time. They're not my favourite games by a long stretch but this fits into that tier very nicely. It's probably better mechanically than most Psikyo games but I probably prefer Raiden Fighters Jet. Looks good though and plays tightly.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: August 16th, 2019, 12:51 pm Blimey, that was quick, there's your deathsmiles deal, hazeredmist - https://www.humblebundle.com/store/deathsmiles
SHITTING HELL. I need to not buy this but probably can't not buy this
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Just went hard at Vasara Timeless and reached the third boss, after not being able to breach into stage 2 for a while. Inearly got him too.

I think I'm starting to get a handle on this crazy game. There's even a shadow dash / barrel roll button!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 17th, 2019, 12:36 am Every time I play, I play from the beginning until I die.
I think I've said it before but it's obviously not the most efficient way to learn a game.

What I end up doing is getting to be absolute boss at the first couple of stages, though maybe not as good as Stanshall, and then mostly having to just improvise through the end, the hardest part of the game, until I get lucky.
I don't mean to sound harsh buddy, but if you know that's not really efficient and would like to get better results, why don't you simply train the later sections with Stage Select?

If you developed a feel for the tricky final stages and bosses, then surely that would prevent you from panicking and dying and having to re-do the entire game over and over again, no? :|
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 17th, 2019, 4:08 pm That better not have been a passive aggressive "buddy". I've got my eye on you, owly.
No, of course not. It just sounds to me like your method leads to a lot of gratuitous stress and frustration, so that would have been the obvious solution to me. Then again, I seem to approach things from a much more methodical angle, so what works for me probably wouldn't work for you from the sound of it. Left brain vs. right brain type of dilemma.

Just trying to help! :)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: August 17th, 2019, 4:08 pm I play to have fun. If I get better, that's a happy coincidence.
What a quote. :lighter:

I'm of the same ilk tbh. I think it might be different if I had more time, but I don't. And I don't resent that. It's precious and valuable doing this shit. I want to enjoy every second! The times I do obsess it's out of enjoyment, not out of duty. Whenever that starts happening and I realise it, I generally stop and move on.

Again, I respect everyone's methods here! It's great that we all forge our own paths but enjoy the same materials along the way.

SHMUPS 4 LIFE

PS. I bought Deathsmiles. I have such a healthy library on Steam now! Crimzon Clover, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Deathsmiles, DoDonpachi Resurrection, The Hurricane of the Varstray. Part time PC Gamer. Boom
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just spent an hour messing round with shmupmame. Found a brilliant game called Progear, it's awesome! Found loads of ace games I've never played before! Donpachi or something, guwange, they're all so much fun! This is awesome!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

One of us!

One of us!

One of us!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Get in! No turning back Alex!

My latest shmupdate:

Finished DDP Res Black Label. Loved it but spent about 300 credits getting there! Back to 1.5 novice next.

Also I went to play Desthsmiles last night when the missus went to bed. Felt a bit tired... Woke up at 4am in my chair, game still on the title screen with beer spilled all over me and on the carpet etc

My Steam account probably says I’ve put a few hours into it 😂 there’s your grisly truth. Another attempt tomorrow I reckon
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: August 17th, 2019, 8:14 pm Crimzon Clover, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Deathsmiles, DoDonpachi Resurrection, The Hurricane of the Varstray. Part time PC Gamer. Boom
...Hey, aren't you forgetting something? :(

clippa wrote: August 17th, 2019, 4:08 pm I think I like the stress, I think it's an integral part of the experience for me.
Okay, then! Get ready for some additional experience-enhancing stress to be dropped in approximately one hour. :P
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Extremely pleased with how this one turned out.

No Miss, no bombs in the first three stages, three strategic bombs to maximize the chutes on the fourth stage, and only two bombs to help out with some of the bosses. This is about as far as my current capabilities can carry me, I reckon. :)

It's a bit difficult to gather any concrete data due to the game not having any proprietary online leaderboards but the only other player I can currently find on YouTube or various forums with a higher score is the current WR holder Emuser, to give you guys some context. So this might very well be the second best score in the world at the moment.

There is a lot of practice that went into this, so I wouldn't mind some feedback! Or even better, to convince the one or the other forumite to give this game the attention it most certainly deserves! :P

That's a weight off my shoulders all right! Time to finally play something else for a change.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So, when you play these games, are you watching the enemies, or your ship? Or both?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Personally, I'm watching the sweet spot in-between by default, which allows me to keep an eye on both.

If I know there's no immediate danger, I focus on the enemies to make sure my shots connect where I want them to.

If I have to squeeze through a particularly tight bullet curtain, I focus on my ship's hitbox (NB: most shmups will actively display the hitbox when using the focus shot) to make sure I don't get hit. In some situations, every pixel counts.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 19th, 2019, 4:47 pm
hazeredmist wrote: August 17th, 2019, 8:14 pm Crimzon Clover, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Deathsmiles, DoDonpachi Resurrection, The Hurricane of the Varstray. Part time PC Gamer. Boom
...Hey, aren't you forgetting something? :(
Huh? I literally listed all my Steam shmups

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Just checked - Deathsmiles says I've played for 7 hours :lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: August 19th, 2019, 11:12 pm Huh? I literally listed all my Steam shmups
I know, I'm just saying... BWRP may not be on Steam, but it doesn't deserve to be swept under the carpet at every turn! :lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Oh. Well I did say Steam specifically, if I said PC I'd have mentioned BWRP, Cho Ren Sha 68k, Edens Aegis, Hydorah in a list of what I have installed :) Not to mention ShmupMame which I need to mess with when I get time. They'll all get love in due course. Well maybe not Hydorah as I'm unsure I actually like it - or indeed that style at all - but we'll see.

I did really like BWRP when I tried it a while back, I would like a proper sit-down with it. How that game is free remains a mystery to me. I can't see me entering the battlefield with you boys score-wise though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Everyone probably already knows this, but I realised earlier on that Switch shmup I've been playing (I dunno, something Unlimited 3 maybe!?) that if you don't shoot enemies as soon as they appear, but wait till they've fired loads of bullets at you before killing them, you can score more because when you kill them their bullets build up your meter faster to get bonus points. It does explain the meter mechanic in the tutorial, but waiting till they've fired bullets before killing them to make it build faster, that's all my own work :lol: You're welcome! :lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Aye, the spirit system whereby bullets on screen from an enemy you’ve killed turn into spirit bullets you collect to build up that meter.

God you’re definitely getting into this stuff! Tried any other MAME stuff yet? I have a great time credit feeding my way through the old stuff on there. Be warned, this gets increasingly addictive :)