What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Chopper »

Black Desert a.k.a. the game that slew my graphics card.

It's a good entry point for an MMO Novice, if you were so inclined - good tutorials and some interesting systems.

It has a great job/profession system, where you can hire people to mine raw resources, farm crops, create gunpowder/jewellry/weapons etc. I had a great supply chain going where I mined iron and tin in one area, farmed crops in another area to turn into beer to pay my workers, transported both to a third area where I smelted and had people producing bronze axes that I sold on the marketplace to (I assume) real players. They could chop down trees far quicker than iron axes. I was making maybe 20 thousand gold on each production cycle, surviving, a small but rewarding return on investment, it was great!

I came back to it after a month's break, and the game had given me twenty six million gold as a loyalty bonus. :x

I expect anybody who was interested might have already played it on PC/Xbox, where it is pretty cheap now.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

:lol:

Remnant: From the Ashes sounds really intriguing from the reviews - a souls-like with guns, some proc gen, 3-player co-op, the ability to 're-roll' a level if it's not to your liking/becomes repetitive.

I've kinda sworn off boss-battle games as I'm pretty fed up of them now, and basically view bosses as an impediment to seeing the rest of the game. I was able to resist Hollow Knight due to the platforming aspect (don't much like platformers either :) ) but this looks decent.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Rest of the month according to VG247 which constantly adds games as the week progresses.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/08/21/video- ... ates-2019/

World of Warcraft: Classic (PC) – August 27
Crystar (PS4) – August 27
Wreckfest (PS4, Xbox One) – August 27
Control (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 27
Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey (PC) – August 27
Taste of Power – official launch (PC) – August 27
Pagan Online – official launch (PC) – August 27
Decay of Logos (PS4, Switch, Xbox One, PC) – August 27/29/30/30
Monster Sanctuary – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 28
Headspun (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – August 28
Heave Ho (PC, Switch) – August 29
Astral Chain (Switch) – August 30
Blair Witch (PC, Xbox One) – August 30
Tanky Tanks (PC) – August 30
Kerfuffight (PC) – August 30
The Ninja Saviors – Return of the Warriors (PS4, Switch) – August 30 EU/ October 15 NA
Root Letter: Last Answer (PS4, Switch) – August 30
Remothered: Tormented Fathers (Switch) – August 30
Re:Legend – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 30
The Dark Pictures – Man of Medan (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 30
Unlucky Seven (PC) – August 30
Fuze4 (Switch) – August 30
Espire 1: VR Operative (Rift, Quest, PS VR, Vive, Index) – August
Pine (PC, Switch) – August
The Vale (PC) – August
Rogue Glitch – Steam Early Access (PC) – August
Suits

Post by Suits »

Astral Chain.

I’ve ordered it and I’m up for something new but like I mentioned prior, the more videos I see of it the less I think I’ll enjoy it 😬.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've pre-ordered Man of Medan. Until Dawn (and Tetris Effect) are my favourite PS4 games so I just gotta know.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

WoW Classic is out now! With massive queues and everything!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Definitely getting Man of Medan. I want Astral Chain, but I still don't have a Switch. Also getting Collection of Mana in the mail this week -- for Switch. I was gonna play Seiken 3 again, but that remake actually looks freaking outstanding. So now I'm not even sure if I'll keep the Switch version, as I already have a repro of Seiken 3.

Was also going to pick up the FF8 Remaster at the start of September, but from all the info I can find online, it looks pretty crusty - another mobile port hack job. I'll buy it on PC when someone fixes it with mods, a la FF9.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m still kinda amused that someone has done a sequel to ‘The Ninja Warriors’ and that it’s getting pretty much zero PR.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think it looks amazing too.

I've been sent PR for it (unsolicited) so that is happening, but I guess the big sites aren’t picking it up.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

dezm0nd wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 8:20 am Blair Witch (PC, Xbox One) – August 30
Thank Phil for Game Pass!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 27th, 2019, 11:21 am I think it looks amazing too.

I've been sent PR for it (unsolicited) so that is happening, but I guess the big sites aren’t picking it up.
I read Nintendo Life a lot and that reviewed it (very well) a couple of weeks ago, but as excited as I was then, I’d pretty much added it to my Switch watch list and forgotten about it, as I imagine many others will. Strange to be doing it so early, unless it’s already out in the US? The eShop has no trailer either. Very odd marketing decisions for what could easily be a high profile release.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It came out a month ago in Japan and a few weeks ago in the US I believe.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Both Astral Chain and Control coming out so close to each other is a bit of a predicament. By all the reviews coming in, both seem stellar. I feel somewhat bad for Control, since I did really want it to be good and succeed, but I have to give the priority to Platinum. I'll try to pick Control up later though.

Sort of want Wreckfest too, but I've never been sure if I want to go with PC or console. Or if I'm even that interested in it. It basically looks like a less interesting FlatOut. I really like FlatOut, but that with all the personality taken out of it? I'm not so sure.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Scrustle wrote: August 27th, 2019, 11:08 pm Both Astral Chain and Control coming out so close to each other is a bit of a predicament. By all the reviews coming in, both seem stellar. I feel somewhat bad for Control, since I did really want it to be good and succeed, but I have to give the priority to Platinum. I'll try to pick Control up later though.

Sort of want Wreckfest too, but I've never been sure if I want to go with PC or console. Or if I'm even that interested in it. It basically looks like a less interesting FlatOut. I really like FlatOut, but that with all the personality taken out of it? I'm not so sure.
I want Astral Chain and Control, but I don't have a switch - that'll be my Christmas gift to self if I can pay off all my debts, which I'm well on track to doing - and Remedy has not really made any games I've liked as of yet... Suffice it to say, I'll wait for price drop on both. :P
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Scrustle wrote: August 27th, 2019, 11:08 pm Sort of want Wreckfest too,
I never really clicked with FlatOut, but I still play Destruction Derby to this day, and I’m really hoping Wreckfest has a bit of the wild and unpredictable crash racing those games offered. I’ve never wanted a remake more than DD2 so if this comes close I’ll be happy. But it’s clearly going to be about half price in a couple of months so I’ll wait!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I am ready for Astral Chain tomorrow.

I never usually watch preview videos, or things like that to try and keep as much of the game a surprise for myself - but in this instance I did, as I was concerned I’d not like it.

I’m now well keen to give it a good go.

Just gotta put the wife in a good mood, then, bottle of wine, pizza, new game - Friday night does me.

👩🏼🍷🍕🎮
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm still wavering. I loved Bayonetta and rinsed it. Bayo 2 is a great game but didn't grab me in the same way. Nier: Automata is one of my favourite game of the last few years but the combat was pretty repetitive after the first couple of hours.

I should really finish Fire Emblem first because I've been enjoying it a lot.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Strange things are afoot. Clippa favourite, Risk of Rain 2, is now out on console. It's the 'full game' despite it still being in early access on PC. I believe there's a console update roadmap stretching into next summer though, so perhaps it's all the same.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bulletstorm surprised dropped on Switch today too apparently. I loved that game. Adding to the watch list for a sale for sure.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I remember all your posts were, 'Look at how fast I'm going, wheeee!' :lol:

The console price is a bit rich all right, 40% cheaper on PC. I guess they have to account for certification costs and the like :roll: