The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
Simonsloth

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Simonsloth »

Jobobonobo wrote: May 1st, 2019, 10:09 pm My exposure to the Katamari series has been limited but what little I have experienced I have absolutely adored. We Love Katamari is truly one of the many highlights of the PS2 and would happily recommend to anyone who wants to try out the more eclectic side of that console’s library. Part of what makes this game such a delight is that wonderful soundtrack with its wide variety of genres and moods on offer. While its music style is commonly perceived to be on the kooky and wacky side of things there are some extraordinary exceptions to this rule. One of these is my particular favourite, “Angel Rain” by Yukiko Ehara otherwise known as YOU. Its mixture of accordions and violins creates a sublime piece that evokes memories of walking hand in hand with the love of your life while you look in each other’s eyes. This song epitomises romantic nostalgia, just gorgeous.

Fabulous stuff!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Yeah, it just gives you good vibes all around. Music seems to be of real consistent quality with this series, loved the Katamari special Sound of Play did a while back. Introduced me to a lot of top notch music.
Good Shot Janson

Post by Good Shot Janson »

My relationship with armored core (AC) began with the demo disc containing my other beloved AC, Ace Combat 2. While I readily and easily picked up the arcade dogfighting skills needed for Ace Combat, Armored Core frustrated me beyond belief. At age 10 I wasn’t quite able to grasp the controls, the customization was far beyond my grasp, and the lore wasn’t readily apparent. In short I had no context for this game. The frustrating part wasn’t my inability to comprehend Armored Core, it’s that I could see the game for what it was, thought it awesome, and recognized it as being beyond my level.
Flash forward to 2017. I was watching a “mechweek” broadcast from the sadly defunct Super Best Friends. One episode was devoted to Armored Core: For Answer. “Coo” I thought. “Ole AC is still alive and kicking!” While the game differed greatly in graphical fidelity and pacing, the overall concept of fighting for control of a shattered earth in machines destined to consume the last of its resources remained the same. Woolley says something about AC:FA multiplayer so I look at a YouTube video and the result is nothing short of real life Gundam. I decided I wanted to be able to do that. I wanted to be a “holy shit” type of Armored Core player. I also vowed to do it right and start at the beginning.
Now a couple years, a half dozen shakes, and a hundred or so Buster TBM YouTube videos later I’ve arrived at the holy trinity of AC: Nexus, Nine Breaker, and Last Raven. (Ironically the pinnacle of the other AC in my life is also a trilogy on PS2. Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero). Nexus is everything I’ve ever wanted in an AC and I can’t wait for the arena of Nine Breaker or the masterpiece that I’ve been hearing about: LAST RAVEN.

For the podcast you can skip all the above I just wanted to give you guys some context. Armored Core is a bitching series, and it’s made more so by its soundtrack. The PS2 era games in particular have a VERY late 90’s/early 00’s techno with drum n’ bass score that screams “this is the future.” While energetic it’s also somewhat melancholy in tone. Thus far the Nexus OST has been my favorite, in particular the track “Super Monkey Likes Daddy.” Don’t ask. I don’t know. Thus far I haven’t seen any monkeys, or any daddies, in any Armored Core. Unless... unless I AM the daddy... *mind blown*. Enjoy

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I finished Middle Earth: Shadow of War recently and was pleasantly surprised by the end credits theme. The game’s own music was a fairly forgettable attempt to mimic Howard Shore’s Lord of the Rings scores, but the end theme... well, that’s something a little more interesting...

Tbone254

Post by Tbone254 »

Chrono Cross has my all time favorite soundtrack. I think all of us have that one game that we put on and let sit idle so we can listen to the music. This one is mine. All of the music in this game is amazing. If I could request the entire soundtrack, I would. Since I can’t, I had the impossibly hard task of picking a single track. I finally settled on Radical Dreamers. I picked it because, of all the music in the game, I think this one sums up the feel of the entire game the best. It’s the theme played during the end credits. It feels melancholic, nostalgic, and optimistic. Like the old cliche that all good things come to an end, but all endings are new beginnings, but in a song. The lyrics are in Japanese, so I have no idea what the singer is saying. I’ve thought about looking up a translation, but I’m afraid that it will ruin the song for me once I know what they are. So I choose to live in my blissful ignorance.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

So much good stuff in Chrono Cross!

If you’re interested in a little curio, have a listen to the music from the Japan only midquel Radical Dreamers. It’s a visual novel that would later form the basis of the first act of Chrono Cross.

heres a playlist
TheStuntLady

Post by TheStuntLady »

Fellow listeners of Cane & Rinse and Sound of Play well know my endless love of Undertale. It’s no surprise, then, that on Halloween of last year, I was floored to discover new content from this series: deltarune, Chapter 1.

To put it as succinctly as possible: Toby Fox pulls out all the stops yet again. Ranging from goofy, silly chip tunes to full-on epic arrangements, deltarune's music closely follows Undertale’s main themes while adding its own style and flair. It’s a much shorter game and therefore has a smaller selection of music, but what it offers is both memorable and effective (and in keeping with the tone of the game, it also feels much darker and more dream-like).

“Field of Hopes and Dreams” is a great entry-point to the rest of the game’s soundtrack. It introduces the overall melody that the rest of the music riffs off of, it’s upbeat and fun, and helps drive the gameplay forward. I'll also add as a sidenote that I recommend listening with headphones, as you'll be able to really pick up on the many layers and nuances to this track.

FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

Could have chosen anything from the Tekken 3 OST as they're all outstanding.

Also, how cool is King?
Tbone254

Post by Tbone254 »

Flabyo wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 7:07 am So much good stuff in Chrono Cross!

If you’re interested in a little curio, have a listen to the music from the Japan only midquel Radical Dreamers. It’s a visual novel that would later form the basis of the first act of Chrono Cross.

heres a playlist
Thanks for the playlist link! I think I may like some of the tracks from Radical Dreamers more than the one's from Chrono Cross. Really digging this version of The Girl Who Stole the Stars. I have always wanted to try to figure out a way to play through Radical Dreamers but everything I've read about it seems like it would be a real pain to get through.
Gingertastic01

Post by Gingertastic01 »

Octahedron is a game I came across through Digital Foundry, John had done a small piece on it during one of his videos and looked bonkers and interesting. Looking for a new platformer I took the plunge and was so pleased I did, it’s a dam good video game.

Maybe pushing it a little bit as this track is a whopping 7mins long and it might not be to everyone’s taste. However, when you are playing through the game and the level is pulsating to the beat, and your pushing to finish the level with all those pesky collectibles it’s really something. Anyone who enjoyed Celeste will no doubt enjoy this.

Track is called Valor by Chipzel

Richard

Post by Richard »

I first became acquainted with the world of SteamWorld playing SteamWorld Dig on the 3DS. After that, I was sold on purchasing anything put out by Swedish video game developer Image & Form. I played Dig 2 at launch, but didn't get around to SteamWorld Heist until recently. The turn-based steampunk cowboy strategy game is just as enjoyable as the other games in the series, with a completely different play style. What really blew me away, however, was the soundtrack, performed by the steampunk band Steam Powered Giraffe. The group actually shows up in the game at various saloons, and I would always stop and hang out for several minutes just to listen. I have since purchased the soundtrack, and it has become one of my favorite indie video game soundtracks of all time.

This is "Honeybee," a mellow, melancholy piece, perfect for a rest from the battle.

(P.S.: Sorry for using the word "steam" so many times!)

Gingertastic01

Post by Gingertastic01 »

Hello,

I have been playing through the recent Castlevaina collection and just had to request a track from super castlevaina IV. This was my first introduction to Castlevaina back in the day and must have finished it a million times at this point. The track I would like to request is Dracula’s battle, it’s a reprise of the prologue music at the start of the game, but the way its introduced back into the game with you walking down the corridor with the torches lighting gets me every time.

Cheers

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Timespinner is a fun metroidvania game that borrows quite of lot of its game design from Symphony of the Night, so it’s not that surprising that the soundtrack does too. This is probably the most Castlevania it gets...

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Ghost trick was easily one of my favourite games for the DS. A interesting premise, compelling story, fun characters and intricate puzzles all add up to one good time. Often in the game, the main character is in pretty dangerous and tricky situations and when things are at their bleakest, this little ditty can bring great relief. "Missile-A Courageous Little Animal" by Masakazu Sugimori is a delightful bubbly tune that signifies when Missile, a hyper little Pomeranian appears to help you out. One of the few characters that can communicate directly with you, this cute ball of fluff is one of your greatest allies and this fun piece is usually a sign that luck is on your side and that you are one bit closer to solving the major mystery of the game. This tune for me serves the same function as the save room theme in Resident Evil games, it is a signal that you are temporarily at least, safe from the dangers the world presents to you.

Firewatch has one of the most gorgeous settings for a videogame: the great North American wilderness. This piece by Chris Remo, Camp Approach is very brief yet is one of the most distinctive and memorable in its soundtrack and is the music I associate most strongly with this title. A lovely aural representation of the beauty and loneliness such a rugged landscape can evoke.

Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Hollow Stairway B from Pandemonium, composed by Burke Trieschmann

During my formative, platformer-obsessed gaming years, Pandemonium was an early PS1 favourite of mine. Revisiting the game recently I was curious if it held up, but like so many things tinted by nostalgia, I ultimately found it ...decent.
It was a lot jankier than I remembered, even if the 2,5 perspective had a rough charm. But one thing that absolutely did hold up was the music. Burke Trieschmanns score is perfectly suited for the medieval setting, and i wouldn't mind hearing this particular energetic track, from the Hollow Stairway stage, performed at a Folk Music Festival.

Harmony from Rayman, composed by Rémi Gazel

With its gorgeous cartoon visuals and whimsical tone, Rayman was the game that made it clear that I had to own a playstation. But though the game starts off pleasant, it eventually reveals itself to be absolutely brutal. Its one of those games where I can't comprehend how my younger self played it to completion, though I can only assume cheat codes were involved,

The last point before the difficulty starts going off the rails is Band Land, after which is any of my attempted replays inevetably peter out. Luckily, it is also the games absolute peak in terms of audiovisual presentation, and probably deserves a lot of credit for my lingering affection for the game. I wish I could just submit the entire Band Land soundtrack, but singling one out, Harmony is absolutely the most iconic. It serves as a surrogate theme for the entire game in my mind, encapsulating its dreamlike atmosphere, and soothes your nerves as the platforming challenges get ludicrous.

ashman86

Post by ashman86 »

While not actually from a video game, Saori Kobayashi's standalone album "Terra Magica" sounds like the offical soundtrack to a Panzer Dragoon game that never was. Kobayashi composed the music for Panzer Dragoons Saga and Orta as well as 2013's Crimson Dragon, Panzer Dragoon's ultimately disappointing spiritual successor. Her music blends fantasy and synth and creates a captivating, otherworldly soundscape.

"Dance of the Seekers" is probably my favorite track on the album, and if you close your eyes while listening to it, you can almost see yourself taking to the sky on the back of a blue dragon for a new high-speed, on-rails adventure.

worthlesstrivia

Post by worthlesstrivia »

Combining the hack and slash dungeon delving of Diablo with a more casual-gamer friendly format, 2005's Fate was a game I found in my teen years. I was a big fan of Celtic music, and was entranced by the game's themes, which included music originally composed by Turlough O'Carolan, a blind Irish harper born around 1670. The relaxed, atmospheric feel of these tunes, featuring harp, flute, and other strings and performed by the Ensemble Galilei, perfectly matched the feel of the town of Grove and the game's nature.

I remember delving into the game's directory folders on my PC, extracting the music files, and converting the files to put them on my portable music player so I could listen to them. The standout tracks for me were Captain O'kane and The Clergy's Lamentation, both used as themes for the menus and the game's town interface.

Ash

Post by Ash »

Bring back operating system music!

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Fighting Chance by Chipzel from Dicey Dungeons

Just a lovely jazzy chiptune piece.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Motohiro Kawashima has uploaded the Cherry Hunter trailer music to his soundcloud.

This is rad.

Techno 90’s banging beats.

I’m sooooooooo up for SoR4 if this is the direction its taking., which it seems.

https://soundcloud.com/dotemu-games/mot ... rage-4-ost