Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: August 27th, 2019, 1:50 pm Maybe we could do a none shmup next time
This is a shmup thread for shmup people! We'll have no trouble here!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

DDP Resurrection then, eh? Cool. Was going to say I don't own Astebreed. It's been sitting on my wish list for a while, but I took it off because I got turned off by how chatty it is, the more I saw of it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sounds like it.

Astebreed is a really fun game once it clicks and it's very polished but there are almost too many controls, it's like playing an accordion. I'm not even exaggerating. It's fundamentally twin stick but also has melee/dash/rapid fire/lock-on/bomb/super mechanics and the screen gets extremely busy and disorienting. The 'release the right stick to fire missiles' is such a strange sensation and not a very satisfying one. Despite the criticism, I did get into it and ultimately I'm glad I played it. It's just very very fiddly.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 28th, 2019, 4:09 pm Is everyone playing dodonpachi as hard as they can? Did I miss the gun?
No, I'm waiting for confirmation that everything is working out for Alex and then we can all determine which mode to play. I'm leaning towards Normal 1.5, to keep it simple.

I'm not a fan of time limits, personally. No stress. :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh no worries don't wait for me, crack on. It won't be a problem getting going, just haven't had a chance yet. It'll be the weekend before I get a decent run at it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Are you sure? Okay... :shock:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah! I don't want to hold anyone up having fun! Like I said, I might be able to have a few goes before, but it'll be the weekend before I can put a decent effort in.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Snip!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Real talk, I'm very keen but (suddenly) pretty full on with work and away intermittently on various trips. What kind of time frame are we thinking about? I'd suggest an endpoint to give it (me) some focus.

End of the month?

Could do this regularly every month/other month? I'm also up for the non-shmup high score challenge, too. Would hopefully get a few more forum members involved.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: August 28th, 2019, 6:28 pm What kind of time frame are we thinking about? I'd suggest an endpoint to give it (me) some focus.
Well, I'd prefer not to have any hard limit, really. We all have different amount of stuff on our plates and some people respond to time pressure more poorly than others, so this sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

If everybody else disagrees and thinks we should have a hard limit, 30th of September sounds okay.

PS: And if anybody thinks it'd be better to have a new thread just for the competition, I can make one.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sorry, KSub, your previous post slipped through before I'd seen it. I'm happy to have this as an ongoing WIP but, real talk, I'm the kind of person who responds best to deadlines and I reckon it'll generate a a bit more interest that way. I think a month is a pretty decent time frame and it also gets it 'off your plate' at a certain point. It doesn't mean that if you particularly fall for the game you can't add to the thread beyond that point to announce your NMNB blindfold run, it just gives some focus.

That's just my take, of course.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hm, but I'm afraid to miss the deadline only to get laughed out of the thread when I come in with my fresh new highscore three days late. But okay, let's hear what the others have to say first.

Edit: Actually, I think you're probably right...

Also, dedicated thread: Yay or Nay?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 28th, 2019, 7:24 pm Also reddit might be starting a competition soon, if they're playing a more interesting game, I'm dropping you ragbag of awkward weirdo's like a hot stone.
RUDE

Okay, I'll make a thread tomorrow afternoon if the others are okay with it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

On another note, Mark_MSX is hosting another Shmup Slam next Feb and he's looking for people (of all levels) to attempt some live runs. Kind of shitting myself because I'd love to do it but I dunno what game and I know what I'm like and my marriage and career will fall by the wayside so I can seek approval from half a dozen total strangers via some bullet hell from fifteen years ago.

Any takers?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm just getting set up now. Quick question, ksub mentioned about normal 1.5 score attack or something, will the MAME rom have those options? Just wondering whether it'll have any degree of choice beyond ship and shot type, or whether it's just insert coin and play.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Super, thanks. I'll probably spend all of tonight trying to decide whether to go stick or pad, then it'll be bedtime and I'll have to go to sleep :cry:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Real talk: I don't think my end result will be anything to boast about. I have to admit I don't really get DDP in the same way that I get other games in the genre. I keep losing my combo chain even when I try to shoot enemies as soon as possible and some of the boss patterns seem virtually inescapable to me at this stage.

To be continued, obviously.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Right, I'm all set up anyway. Had an initial hiccup where I somehow managed to map my fire button to a function that also fast forwarded the game so I thought 'jesus, this is a bit nippy!!' but all good now :lol:

Seems like a cool game! Managed to get through a couple of bosses using keyboard (couldn't be bothered to set up pad or stick just whilst testing it) but the score was nothing to mention. I like it, though.

EDIT: I'm going to have to read a FAQ though, which I hope isn't cheating. I haven't a clue what does what beyond holding fire makes a more powerful beam! Nothing about combos or any of that stuff.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: August 28th, 2019, 8:51 pm EDIT: I'm going to have to read a FAQ though, which I hope isn't cheating.
Of course not, go right ahead!

Try to resist the temptation to use save states or emulation slowdown features or any of that stuff, and it'll be all right. Use as much legit help as you want! :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 28th, 2019, 8:58 pm I'm assuming that score I got last year is null and void? :lol:
Y̶o̶u̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶a̶c̶ Yeah, I think it'd be better for everybody involved if we only counted scores set over the course of the competition, I'm sure you'll understand. :)