Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Videogame News

Post by Suits »

So the seven minute Gamescom SoR4 video went up yesterday and it just keeps better in my eyes.

The music again was incredible, not sure who did the stage 6 track but it’s great.

EDM with a modern vibe but classic beat and rhythm - I’ve not heard a non-compelling track off it yet. The Cherry Hunter intro track is incredible.

I’m warming to the art style but still dislike the movement - it’s too cartoony for my nostalgic preference, which is especially evident in Cheery’s walking animation.

What I noticed in the video was that the level actually circles around a scene, which seems to be centralised around three dudes playing cards in the background on an upturned crate - very cool.

I wonder if there will be costumes and other cool things to unlock for the characters, or even unlockable characters.

Finally, I’m so into Axles and Blazes’ new looks. It just feels cool to have seen them age and bloat into the characters in 4.

Blaze is still tick.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that does look interesting, will keep an eye on it thanks :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

80 days probably runs on that, as will most of Inkle’s other games.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Sega just revealed Yakuza 7!

And it's a turn-based RPG....

https://twitter.com/game_watch/status/1 ... 5015518208
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Looks like Capcom are teasing a new Resident Evil game.

https://www.project-resistance.com/en/

Teaser to release Friday 9th September and the game to be shown at TGS the following week.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ThirdMan wrote: August 28th, 2019, 1:13 pm I was given a free iPad yesterday but the excitement quickly died down when I learned it was an iPad 2.. I can't even install Gmail on it! Seriously. It seems that any app worth its salt won't run on anything below iOS 10. Such a shame because the thing looks brand new. I thought I was finally one of the cool kids. Oh well.

However there's always games, glorious games. It's a good opportunity to catch up on whatever the pre-2016 App Store had to offer. FTL: Faster Than Light was very well reviewed on that format, plus there's two of Inkle's Apple-exclusive earlier-works that have escaped me until now. This War of Mine is compatible, as is The Banner Saga, Broken Age and many others that seem to perform well on the device.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has some recommendations?
Have you tried Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery? And, I load up Plague Inc. every now and then.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Scrustle wrote: August 29th, 2019, 9:10 am Sega just revealed Yakuza 7!

*interest level rising*
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Hopefully Yakuza RPG is less tedious and needlessly padded than the mainline games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: August 29th, 2019, 3:52 pm
Scrustle wrote: August 29th, 2019, 9:10 am Sega just revealed Yakuza 7!

*interest level rising*
Hmm. Yeah I don't know if I'm disappointed or not. I guess I have no right to be given there are 7 mainline games in the traditional style, so it's not like I'm being deprived of anything. Not sure this interests me, but I'll keep an eye on it.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Well, its definitely a different angle on the series. I'd need to see and read more on it.
Magical_Isopod wrote: August 29th, 2019, 5:09 pm Hopefully Yakuza RPG is less tedious and needlessly padded than the mainline games.
Hey! The 'padding' aka the side content is damn near the point of the series. :lol:
Having said that there usually comes a point in each game where I get bored of the combat. I'm not sure how moving to a genre with a reputation for repetitive combat will help.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Simonsloth wrote: August 27th, 2019, 9:26 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: August 27th, 2019, 5:30 pm Depressingly, NitW coder and musician Alec Holowka has just today been accused of sexual assault (and many of us believe the accounts as given).

The writer and artist Scott Benson - or anybody else who worked on the game - haven’t received any such accusations, it should be stressed.
This really has affected my desire to play this. I only bought it the other day and was quite excited but I don’t think I’ll be playing it anytime soon:(

Very sad times. Like any industry there are bad eggs but I wish they didn’t exist in the world of videogames or only made the crap games so I didn’t have to feel conflicted.
https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/08/31/ ... sault-dies

Jesus.

Suspected suicide. Seems more than likely having read a few things.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

That seems like a very messed up situation all around with a lot of different moving parts.

To be perfectly honest, I don't expect the wider "gaming community" at large to be able to deal with this with the maturity and nuanced consideration it deserves.

Really sad for everybody involved. :(
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

You can love art and hate the artist. I would probably name Speaker For The Dead as my favourite fictional novel, but Orson Scott Card is kind of a piece of shit. Nonetheless, humans are complex creatures -- even those capable of great evil can have important things to say, and important stories to tell. When something enters the cultural zeitgeist, it almost becomes property of the culture, not of the author. Like, the guy who wrote Scott Pilgrim is one of the most vile, unpleasant human beings I have ever met, but those books were something I really enjoyed in college.

To me, it seems absurd that so many people focus on creators as these sorts of idols... Their creations are sometimes an extension of the society within which they exist, and not an extension of their person.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: September 1st, 2019, 12:54 am It's a shame that it all happened so publicly. That's all I will say. It's worrying to think how big a part the trial by twitter and public shaming might have played in his suicide.
Surely not the outcome anyone wanted.
This is gonna get messy.
^ this.

Not much else to say from me. What a horrid situation all round.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Ugh. There's a bunch of folk using this as an excuse to blame one of his accusers. They're using a hashtag and seem almost gleeful in the usual internet troll way. When it's about a game failing or whatever, it's tiresome. When it's about accusations of abuse and suicide it's just ghoulish behaviour. They don't give a single crap about any of the victims involved, they just want a new stick to beat people they don't like.

There are some serious and difficult conversations to be had about everything that has happened. But the well has been poisoned and I don't know how anyone can have the energy to be anything but thoroughly saddened at the whole situation.

EDIT: and just to be clear, I believe the accusations.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, Twitter is plain toxic. There is little point attempting serious conversation on there. I get really torn with cases like this. On one hand, I believe reports about allegations of abuse etc should be kept out of the press until proven either innocent or guilty, because it only takes one malicious accusation to destroy someone. As a male who has spent 24 years working in an almost totally female environment with young and vulnerable people, my entire career, and life, could potentially be destroyed by one person with a vendetta against me.

On the other hand, public exposure can often give other victims the confidence to come forward. It's an absolute minefield and I don't know where my feelings on it truly lie, I feel very conflicted. It's not a conversation I feel very confident having, really.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Complete lack of empathy, basically. It's a bit sad that I'm not surprised in any way.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I would say the two other people behind Night In The Woods publicly announcing they were cutting ties wouldn't have helped him at all either on top of that. Guilty or not this won't be the last time this sad situation happens with social media nowadays. Still the biggest killer of men under 50 :(
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

There's a problem with keeping this sort of thing quiet until after legal action has been taken and settled. In a lot of cases (maybe even most, don't know from the top of my head) this sort of thing is very hard to actually prove forensically, especially when a lot of time has passed after the incident. Which is likely the way things will go, given victims are often too traumatised to come forward in those early stages. And keeping quiet like that also helps feed in to a cultural attitude that shields the predators.

It's a really tough and tragic situation. This sort of thing definitely needs to be taken seriously and responsibly, in a way that allows people to feel comfortable coming forward and getting the help they need. But when that can lead to a situation like this, it just makes things worse. I don't think anyone immediately involved in the situation would have wanted this to happen. I hope this doesn't make it harder for victims to come forward now with these stories in case they feel it could result in something else like this.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Im on the similar boat as Alex or Subzero. Its definitelly a messed up situation with a lot of things that we are not aware of.
Since we will never know what actually transpired the only thing this leads to is strengthening our own biases.