The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah all I'm hoping for is SNES and/or GBA. I'd be happy with either to be honest. Also, pipedreams - Kingdom Hearts 1&2 remaster, Crysis Trilogy remastered, Metroid Prime Trilogy and erm, a new Pilotwings!

I will buy a hat and eat it if any of those are mentioned whatsoever!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Return of the Obra Dinn!!

Very happy about that one, I thought for sure I would never get around to play it. Thankfully I've kept away from spoilers just in case!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: September 4th, 2019, 11:30 pm Was it a bit too hairy for your lappy?
Yeah, exactly. Ordinary 2D shmups and puzzle games are no problem, but anything 3D and it starts to hyperventilate.

Edit: Hold on, are they really planning on releasing the OG DMC trilogy one by one instead of the HD Collection bundle available everywhere else? I just saw a mention of DMC2 being scheduled as a standalone release... Who's gonna get tricked into paying money for that one?

That's deeply unethical, Nintendo. :shock:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Picking up a Nintendo online pass for a year tomorrow. Having Super Tennis and Metroid in my hand will be amazing
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I am over the moon about the SNES games! 20 available Friday, that's awesome! Also, Deadly Premonition 2, WTF!? Who even knew that was a thing? And a remake of the first one, and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, and Obrah Dunn! So. Much. Awesome!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Overwatch, Witcher 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, Xenoblade, DOOM 64, Jedi Knight, Deadly Premonition, Assassin's Creed, Ni no Kuni, DMC, Vampyr, Obra Dinn, SNES stuff...

I'm sensing a pattern here.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Re-releases? Yeah, but if I'm honest, I really like being able to play old games on new systems.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily against ports in general. But it seems to me like the Switch is gaining an awful lot of traction despite the surprisingly low amount of exclusive system sellers in is library. It's like people are so in love with the console itself that they're more than willing to re-buy all sorts of old games just to play them on Switch this time around.

I think the ratio's a bit whack, that's all. As a collector who likes to keep plenty of old platforms in rotation, a lot of these "announcements" fall flat for me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 5th, 2019, 12:01 am It's like people are so in love with the console itself that they're more than willing to re-buy all sorts of old games just to play them on Switch this time around.
That's exactly what it is for me. I just get to use it a lot more than my PS4 due to it being handheld. I've only played it docked once (other than when the kids are playing on it), so it really is a case of when something is on Switch I'm much more likely to be able to play it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

With Tokyo Mirage Sessions it’s extremely welcome cause trying to find the WiiU version of that for anything approaching a sensible price now is basically impossible.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 5th, 2019, 12:01 am Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily against ports in general. But it seems to me like the Switch is gaining an awful lot of traction despite the surprisingly low amount of exclusive system sellers in is library.
It has a stronger list of system exclusives than XB1 & PS4 combined, in my opinion.

They're both great systems but to my taste, there are only a couple of essential exclusives on each. Bloodborne, TLOU:R, Tetris Effect, FH4... I'll throw in GoW, Spiderman, HZD, Resogun and SoT to be generous but I don't really enjoy any of them. I'll add Astro Bot, as well, even though it's technically PSVR only. It's a great game even if I don't enjoy VR.

On Switch:

ARMS
Splatoon 2
Mario Odyssey
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario Maker 2
Smash Bros Ultimate

It also has a number of definitive versions/updates of Wii U games in Hyrule Warriors DX, MK8D and, the game which will be forever linked with the system despite its cross-format launch, BotW. And that's in two and a half years.

I'll also be ungenerous here and not add Mario + Rabbids, Yoshi's Crafted World, Kirby Star Allies, Tetris 99, Mario Tennis Aces, Mario Party and Pokemon Let's Go! because I didn't especially like them, but they all sold and reviewed well.

I know different tastes, etc, but it's been a colossal boost to my interest in gaming over the last few years and it appears to be picking up momentum as time goes on.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: September 5th, 2019, 3:02 am It has a stronger list of system exclusives than XB1 & PS4 combined, in my opinion.
Perhaps I'm being unfair, but I would put multi-platform games in a slightly different category than belated re-releases. Games like Sekiro or DMC5 may not be exclusive to either the PS4, XBO or PC, but I would still count them among the many reasons to own any one of these platforms. Whereas the Switch seems to be getting a lot of ports of games that have already been playable on other platforms for years. My list above only refers to the games mentioned or announced during the Direct, but we've seen plenty of those over the years (like Dark Souls, DOOM 2016 or all the half-baked RE ports, for example).

The fact that so many of them just so happen to be technical downgrades sold at a markup also seems a bit sketchy to me.

I dunno, I would imagine it's great for folks who have skipped a few console generations and are renewing their interest in games with the Switch (of which there are many, I know), but I don't find the idea of playing a choppy low-res version of AC3 (a game that originally came out in 2012) that somehow manages to be the most expensive version on the market to be a particularly attractive proposal. Neither is buying the original DMC (and soon DMC3, I would imagine) for two thirds of the price of the entire HD collection on PS4.

(With that said, I would be happy about a proper Splinter Cell series remaster, but Ubisoft appears to have completely forgotten about the franchise these days and turned into the full-time AC company instead.)

I'm not against the console or anything, I'll buy one sooner or later. I just think they're kinda pushing it with the constant technologically inferior overpriced re-releases. And sometimes it sounds like that's all everyone is fantasizing about regardless of the business model (Virtual Console!) or practical implementation (TW101! Metroid Prime! :roll: ).

The list of actual exclusives is perfectly honorable, for the record.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I do love Nintendo Directs. There's something so fun and joyful about them compared to other announcement methods. There isn't really anything for me except the SNES news which is fantastic for the console and adds value to Nintendo Online, but it's great seeing the platform continue to be so healthy.

The Xenoblade reveal made me remember I have that on New 3DS to finish still. I should go back to it. The music in that game is sooooo good man. Almost worth the cost of entry alone. It's great to see it get new life on the Switch.

I'm really feeling this!

Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: September 5th, 2019, 12:20 am With Tokyo Mirage Sessions it’s extremely welcome cause trying to find the WiiU version of that for anything approaching a sensible price now is basically impossible.
Yes, that was my initial thought too.

Hopefully it get into more people’s hands now as people that have played it - enjoyed it.

Overall, personally, that was a bit of a less enthralling Direct - However, it was absolutely packed with titles.

Nice to see no subscription price hike after the inclusion of the SNES games, pretty robust list of games too.

Doom 64 is very welcome and very cool I think, I really like that game, it looks and sounds great. It’ll be interesting to see how it performs on modern panels compared to how I’m used to seeing to seeing it on a CRT.

Animal crossing will invade my household and I’m 100% ready to enjoy Luigi’s Mansion 3.

It’s a fabulous time to own a Nintendo Switch.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: September 5th, 2019, 8:29 am The Xenoblade reveal made me remember I have that on New 3DS to finish still. I should go back to it. The music in that game is sooooo good man. Almost worth the cost of entry alone. It's great to see it get new life on the Switch.
I couldn't bring myself to finish the game (mostly on account of its atrocious combat system), but yeah that soundtrack is magnificent. The main theme alone is superb and I was literally brought to tears the first time I booted up the game and saw the title screen showcasing the day and night cycle with this incredibly beautiful piece of music playing in the background.

To this day, it's still my favorite memory of the game... :oops:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ah, I'm with you there. For me, I found progressing away from Colony 9 difficult because I no longer heard the music for the area when roaming around elsewhere. One could say the music is too good for the game itself!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really enjoyed the combat in Xenoblade Chronicles! Really thought it was the highlight of the game, so much so I'd spend hours just grinding levels. Definitely interested in playing it again.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone tried Super Kirby Clash? I don't think it's something I'll play for a long time, but I had an enjoyable hour or so on it earlier. It'll be interesting to play a little more and see if there's any more to it that initially meets the eye. It's fun enough, though.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Alex79uk wrote: September 5th, 2019, 9:09 pm Anyone tried Super Kirby Clash? I don't think it's something I'll play for a long time, but I had an enjoyable hour or so on it earlier. It'll be interesting to play a little more and see if there's any more to it that initially meets the eye. It's fun enough, though.
I also played it for maybe an hour, it's entertaining, but boss fights were never the draw of Kirby games for me to start with.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The SNES games are up! Just been playing Super Mario Kart.