The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KissMammal

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by KissMammal »

I'm still holding out hope for a HD remake of the original Star Fox. Keep the same flat-shaded, low poly look and everything, just tart it up a bit. It would look so cool running in a decent frame rate in widescreen.
Craig

Post by Craig »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:39 pm Real talk, I wish Nintendo would take the opportunity to re-release games that people may not have had the chance to play in the past (due to regional lockout or licensing issues) instead of the same Super Metroid, LttP and Super Mario World that everybody has played already, as fantastic as they are.

Terranigma comes to mind, for example. I don't think it was originally released in NA on SNES or on any Virtual Console line-up since, although someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
There are some concessions to this - Demon’s Crest isn’t exactly a household name, and even though they’re from big series, Kirby’s Dreamland 3 and Puyo Puyo 2 haven’t been released in Europe.

Also when they *do* release under the radar games, a lot of people complain. See when the Miami game came to NES Online.

I’d agree it’d be nice to see the lesser known or more difficult to play games, but they absolutely needed to start with the big hitters, and they’ve already put some lesser played titles in there.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Meanwhile, in the last gen corner...

The recent news of Bayonetta 1&2 being delisted from the WiiU eshop made me panic and I thought I should probably grab the last few remaining Virtual Console games I'm interested in before it's too late. I know there's a decent chance some of them might come to the Switch sooner or later, but I like the WiiU and don't intend to retire it any time soon so I wanted to be on the safe side of things.

First, I got the four GBA Fire Emblem and Metroid games. All of which I already own on physical media, but I can't say no to classics like these at that price and it gives me a cushy safety net in case my cartridges give up the ghost at some point.

F-Zero X somehow slipped me by since I never owned a N64 back in the day. I seriously doubt it'll manage to challenge GX as my all-time favorite fast-paced racing game, but it's nice to have it for collection purposes alone.

I've heard great things about Drill Dozer even though it didn't come out in europe originally and I never had a chance to play it until now. Very curious about this one. You generally can't go wrong with the GBA!

Lastly, I would have loved to get my hands on Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver since it is often held up as the pinnacle of the series by many fans. But because Nintendo (in their infinite wisdom) apparently never felt the urge to re-release it on Virtual Console, I just grabbed the GBC Crystal version on 3DS instead. When in doubt, go old-school. This is one of those few classics that I haven't revisited since its original release period so I look forward to diving into that universe again at some point. Very nice of them to offer every single european language variation on a single storefront, too.
Suits

Post by Suits »

You’re not wrong there Owly, more games will certainly drop off the Virtual Console before anymore go on.

The Bayoneta one is odd, even though both games are already on Switch (and have been for some time) it’s hard to understand why they would close the door so relatively early on any further Wii U sales.
Suits

Post by Suits »

A few weeks ago my pal sent off two sets (four) Joy-Cons that we’re all suffering from drift but we’re out of warranty.

We all know Nintendo America are fixing the issues for free but Europe were not agreeing to the same deal.

Anyway, he sent them off to see what would happen.

Weeks went by with minimal communication about price, timescale etc.. but today he got his Joy-Cons back fixed for free.

Might be worth doing for people that are suffering, especially if it’s not costing anything.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Good tip Suits!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The switch lite is fabulous. Get the yellow one.
Suits

Post by Suits »

So, the Switch Lite has landed and mine arrived today.

I've messed with it a little and here are my initial thoughts - hardly ground breaking I'm sure but, you know.

It's a lot smaller that what I was expecting.

I knew it was smaller, visually, but I wasn't prepared for how small it would feel in the hands.

It feels a lot smaller. Going back to the Switch, its staggering how much smaller it feels.

Due to the obvious reduction in size and associated lower number of batteries, it feels so much lighter also.

When I play the Switch in handheld mode, I often find the most comfortable position is with two pillows under my elbows, as after a while it can begin to feel rather heavy - not so much so that it's an issue, just something I've noticed on longer play sessions.

The D-pad is wonderful, its a good d-pad. Hard to liken it to exactly but the d-pad on the DSi-XL springs to mind as the closest.

The face buttons feel better than the Joy-Cons, its as simple as that. Without tearing it down it feels like they have more travel and rebound, something that may be possible due to the lack of internals that the Joy-Cons require.

Overall, in the hand, its very pleasant.

It does feel a bit odd at first, as your hand are likely use to the Switch, so D-pad, home and capture button presses require a bit of claw technique to press as they are now so much closer.

In reality its likely only a few CM's but it practise, it may as well be a new controller - if you know what I mean.

Now, the screen.

For me, it's instantly clear that this is calibrated differently. It has a much warmer setting, as opposed to the cooler, more blue hue'd Switch.

This one is more yellow, not something that you'd perhaps really notice but something that I spotted and instantly picked up on when held side but side.

This isn't a negative or a positive - just a preference.

My preference is a cooler glow (Switch).

I had to mess around a bit with my cloud save preferences.

You'll have to make sure that you have all of your cloud save states set to update, if you want to use both systems actively (not at the same time !!).

It turns out that Tetris 99 doesn't have this set to 'On' as default which meant that when I logged in on my Lite I had a level of 1.

I quickly jumped on my Switch, set the cloud save to 'On' and backed up my data.

Then logged onto my Lite and downloaded the cloud save data.

Other than that, the user directions and actual sharing of save data is pretty straight forward and appears in this very early stage to be rather seamless.

So yeah, so far, so good.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

How does Nintendo handle multiple console downloading of games now? I know previous consoles there have been times where if your console breaks, you've lost your games. You can't just log in to an account and redownload them like you would on Xbox or PS4. Can you do this on Switch, now?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I believe that you have told download on both and switch between Primary console as necessary. Some stuff doesn't have cloud save so you're fucked there. I want one but the Satisfye grip is so good, I don't need a handheld only Switch.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: September 20th, 2019, 7:49 pm You can't just log in to an account and redownload them like you would on Xbox or PS4. Can you do this on Switch, now?
Yes, you can.

Just before the Switch was released Nintendo asked everyone to combine they Nintendo ID's into one account.

Painfully, it didn't work retrospectively, but going forward you had a single account that all purchase and downloads would be attached too.

Which would allow you, as you say, to simply re-download them like the other systems have been doing for nearly 15 years.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: September 20th, 2019, 7:57 pm I don't need a handheld only Switch.
That's it precisely mate.

It's a totally a handheld system in this guise.

It makes the Switch, feel like an iPad compared a Plus+ phone.

I'd never consider taking my Switch on the train into London, as it would feel too big, not only pulling it out but transporting it about also.

This feels like a completely dedicated handheld device - which it was sold as to be fair.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Suits wrote: September 20th, 2019, 8:04 pm
Stanshall wrote: September 20th, 2019, 7:57 pm I don't need a handheld only Switch.
It makes the Switch, feel like an iPad compared a Plus+ phone.

This feels like a completely dedicated handheld device - which it was sold as to be fair.
And exactly why I want one! :D

I just can't justify it at all this moment. The Satisfye grip is so good and well comfy but I heard the Lite is spectacularly comfy, as well.

I like the colours, and I'm an idiot, and I don't have kids. Prob Sunday.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Switch Pro NOW please, Nintendo!

Glad the Lite is doing all right on the handheld front, though. Have fun everyone! :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

First PSA of the day:

One of my local stores has some amiibos in stock, three of which appear to be fairly rare from a quick amazon search.

Ivysaur

Squirtle

Link (#5, the original)

Piranha Plant (only 1 left)

Snake

I know some of you like to collect those, so if you're desperately searching for any of the ones I've listed, I could try to grab it on Monday and send it to you. Let me know!

PS: For your own collection, of course. Not for scalping. Obviously.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Second PSA of the day:

It looks like the Switch Lite might have inherited some of the technical issues of the standard model, for those of you still on the fence about buying it.

To be taken with a grain of salt, obviously.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm keeping an eye on the battery usage on mine.

It appears to be blasting through it at a rate that I'm certainly aware of.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone played much NNK:Wrath Of The White Witch? I like JPGs, love the style, and love that I'd be able to play it handheld. Seems a dead cert, the port has got great reviews too.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I love the look and feel but I heard it's very grindy, indeed. Put me off somewhat.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Unless they’ve changed it a fair bit from the original PS3 release, I found it very grindy.

Actually put me off the entire genre (along with ff13), haven’t played a jrpg since.