Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Suits »

I never actually set out to collect the whole set, in fact, it started just as things normally do - picking up the games I wanted.

At the time (must have been five years ago now) I was actively looking for SNES games but found myself pawing over loads of loads of GameCube games, which were all £1, £1.50 etc...

So I started picking them up.

Then it turned into, huh, I’ve not got that one, might as well grab it.

Before you know it you’re well on your way 😄. It’s a relatively small set too, 450, compared to the Xbox which is almost double that and the colossal PS2 with way over 1000.

But like most fun things, the scene changes and it suddenly seemed to become really popular and people were picking up stuff just to re-sell, prices went up and the fun turned into a weird sort of panic, just to get done ASAP before things got silly.

It got silly.

Mind, it was proper fun 😄.

So, I’ve had a few offers of £1500 for the bundle of shovel-wear. To be honest I don’t really want to sell it all but it’ll just got up in the loft, so I am kinda tempted.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't suppose you'd have any duplicate of non-shovelware titles in that pile? There are still two or three GameCube games I'm looking for and that second hand market isn't messing around!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I don’t I’m afraid Bro no, I tend to move in circles where doubles get snapped up pretty quick by eager collectors.

What you after man ??
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'll send you a PM. ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 12th, 2019, 6:53 pm I don't suppose you'd have any duplicate of non-shovelware titles in that pile? There are still two or three GameCube games I'm looking for and that second hand market isn't messing around!
What you looking for?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah it's all right, mate. Inspector Suits is already on the case. Last thing we need is some friendly cross-fire! :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No worries, wasn't looking to sell anything, just wondered if there were particular titles you were still hoping to add to your collection.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 12th, 2019, 6:53 pm I don't suppose you'd have any duplicate of non-shovelware titles in that pile? There are still two or three GameCube games I'm looking for and that second hand market isn't messing around!
I’ve got a spare copy of a game called Resident Evil 4. Have you heard of it?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Have... Have I lived long enough to become a parody of myself?
Spoiler: show
Damn, you guys are being ruthless lately. Guess I deserve it! :lol:
Yeah, I have all three GameCube versions of RE4. Now leave me alone! :P
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 12th, 2019, 9:01 pm Have... Have I lived long enough to become a parody of myself?
Damn, you guys are being ruthless lately. Guess I deserve it! :lol:
Yeah, I have all three GameCube versions of RE4. Now leave me alone! :P
Haha I couldn’t resist. Although I must admit my first thought was you were after either Twin Snakes or a back up Resi 4 ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: September 12th, 2019, 9:09 pm Although I must admit my first thought was you were after either Twin Snakes or a back up Resi 4 ;)
I'm insulted that you think I don't already have Twin Snakes but I'm flattered that you think I'm playing RE4 hard enough as to break the disc inside the console and being in need of a replacement copy. :P
Suits

Post by Suits »

Go on then, I'll bump this...

So, I've been pretty housebound for the last three weeks as I've hurt my knee but I was out and loose today with the wife and the boy 8-) .

Didn't go far but I popped down to see my friend Aly that has a retro shop(The Retro Hunter)in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex.

I had some swaps and spares that I amassed over time and Aly kindly sorted me out and allowed me to swap my doubles for some tasty newbie treats I'd not played before.

Minus, Solar Striker & Gargoyles Quest that I had picked up previously from a retro game shop in Tooting (London) below are the games I'm giving a usual, thorough deep-clean and will be contently adding them to my Game Boy collection.

Look at these, they are beautiful.

Besides the obvious names of most of these games, I'm not familiar with the Game Boy versions of them so it's all very exciting cleaning these up, researching them and giving a them a play on the sofa with my Game Boy Colour Light.

Catrap looks cool and is made by the same Developer as the another Game Boy oddity I like Boomers Revenge, who is a Japanese Developer called Asmik Ace. Boomer and this game are both single screen puzzlers.

I'm under no real illusion that most of these won't last longer than 15 minutes play but that's cool, I don't mind that, it's fun and I enjoy padding out my Game Boy library and experience.

Also, in case anyones panicking - don't worry I have plenty of official clean Nintendo cartridge cases all prept and ready for these.

Aly also has a large collection of spare boxes, cases, manuals, posters, inlays, everything. It's wonderful. Like a giant crate of exciting papers.

He's helped me out many many times in the past turning loose carts, or missing manuals into complete sets.

Today he gave me this, it's compete without the cart but this is a very expensive game to get hold of, so now, I'm no longer looking or a complete version and can now just look for a loose cart. Excellent. I really want to play this.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

OoE is probably the best of the non-Sorrow Igavanias. Hope you can find a cart!
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 28th, 2019, 7:55 pm OoE is probably the best of the non-Sorrow Igavanias. Hope you can find a cart!
See, I've heard its the weakest of the DS games.

I enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow incredibly - it blew me away. Wonderful.

I'm kind of saving Portrait of Ruin for the Christmas break, I think. I love a good Adventure Explorer for Christmas and this may be it this year.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: September 28th, 2019, 8:01 pm See, I've heard its the weakest of the DS games.
I don't know about that. I would probably rate Order of Ecclesia above Portrait of Ruin and Harmony of Dissonance, personally. Not the biggest fan of Symphony of the Night so I might even rate it above that.

The Sorrow duology remains untouchable, however. :D

OoE is definitely an acquired taste with a lot of unique features. See for yourself!

PS: Can't comment on Bloodstained for now.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'm going to RetroGameCon (Syracuse, NY) this Saturday, so I'm setting up a shopping list (hopefully more than window shopping!)
http://www.retrogamecon.com/

PS1 -
X-Men Mutant Academy 2
Valkyrie Profile (gonna need a new memory card, actually)

PS2 -
Shadow Hearts
X-Men Next Dimension (don't know why I ever got rid of this)
XGIII: Extreme G Racing (don't know how I ever missed this game)
Ico (or I'll just play the port on the PS3 store)
Frequency
Amplitude
Xenosaga 2
Xenosaga 3
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Batman Vengeance
Hulk (the movie adaptation)
Spider-Man 2

PS3
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
A DJ Hero control deck

Gamecube
Baten Kaitos
Skies of Arcadia
Timesplitters 2 (I never finished the campaign mode)
Eternal Darkness
Viewtiful Joe
Pikmin
Super Monkey Ball (maybe)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Happy hunting!

On Timesplitters 2, campaign wasn't really the meat of that game, so if you played a lot of Arcade League and multiplayer, I'd say you got most of what you can out of it. I'd guess copies are fairly cheap though.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ColinAlonso wrote: October 31st, 2019, 9:50 pm Happy hunting!

On Timesplitters 2, campaign wasn't really the meat of that game, so if you played a lot of Arcade League and multiplayer, I'd say you got most of what you can out of it. I'd guess copies are fairly cheap though.
I played all three games and their multiplayer quite a bit. But, two is the only one I never finished the story mode! I have an unchecked box in my brain and I gotta fix it!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

If anyone fancies participating in a weekly Retro Game Challenge: viewtopic.php?f=3&p=78062#p78062

I'll update it as long as there's interest here! Fresh game each week, could be any genre...
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Not the biggest haul in the world and I didn't find even half of what I was looking for (no one had a DJ Hero deck!) but had a lot of fun. Haven't played any of these games!