What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Chopper »

If you were looking for some multiplayer action I might be able to hook you up with a group that plays regularly. Just normal (English) lads but organise tournaments among themselves where the worst players get teams like Barcelona and the best get Hull or Accrington Stanley or whoever. PS4.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:37 pm If you were looking for some multiplayer action I might be able to hook you up with a group that plays regularly. Just normal (English) lads but organise tournaments among themselves where the worst players get teams like Barcelona and the best get Hull or Accrington Stanley or whoever. PS4.
That’s very kind of you Chops, much appreciated pal.

It’s not the fact that I don’t have anyone to play with as such, it’s just that online multiplayer nowadays (bar Tetris 99) doesn’t fit into my lifestyle very well - so I tend to look past it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yeah, I thought as much but just thought I'd ask! No worries, have fun with the game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So the first reviews for AI: The Somnium Files are starting to come out and it looks pretty decent so far.

Simon, are you planning on getting this one next week? I know you're a big fan of Uchikoshi's previous work too and it'd be nice to have someone to compare notes with. :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 12th, 2019, 11:04 pm So the first reviews for AI: The Somnium Files are starting to come out and it looks pretty decent so far.

Simon, are you planning on getting this one next week? I know you're a big fan of Uchikoshi's previous work too and it'd be nice to have someone to compare notes with. :)
Ive added it to my wish list but I haven’t bought/played a newly released game all year I think. Let me know if you get it and I might follow suit later in the year.
Suits

Post by Suits »

BEAST

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Nice one Suits! Now we know the real reason for clearing out all those games ;)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: September 13th, 2019, 1:46 pm Nice one Suits! Now we know the real reason for clearing out all those games ;)
Hahahah, mate you know 😄.

Honesty that is part of the reason.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Greedfall seems to be being received very well, some places comparing it to Good Bioware.

This is the developer that released The Technomancer, and I saw a conversation last month on RPS comments (over a few separate weeks) where that game was compared to early Bioware.
It’s not very well polished. Typos are everywhere. Not only in subtitles but in game interface as well. Combat is monotonous, level design is pretty video-gamey and voice acting is “meh” at best. But it has a rich lore, good quests, relatable companions and it does a very good job of itching that Bioware nostalgia, reminding you the likes of KOTOR and Mass Effect. I’m at the end of chapter 2 and enjoying it immensely. Hope the ending is as good as what I’ve seen up till now.
Obviously people make the same connections independently but it's funny how ideas take hold across the gaming press at the same time.

It might be a good game for those who want that feel but find Piranha Bytes games (eg Elex) to be a bit too harsh/dogmatic.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Busy week. New-old Zelda!

Nauticrawl: 20,000 Atmospheres (PC) – September 16
Jet Kave Adventure (Switch) – September 17
Session – Steam Early Access/Xbox Game Preview (PC) – September 17
AI: The Somnium Files (PC, PS4, Switch) – September 17
Daymare: 1998 (PC) – September 17
Rebel Cops (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – September 17
Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son (PS VR, Rift, Vive) – September 17
Devil’s Hunt (PC) – September 17
Lego Jurassic World (Switch) – September 17
Castle Crashers Remastered (Switch) – September 17
Truck Driver (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – September 17/ November 11 [PC]
Exorcise the Demons (PC) – September 18
Trailmakers – official launch (PC, Xbox One) – September 18
Little Misfortune (PC) – September 18
Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Mini console launch – September 19 NA/ October 4 [EU]
Police Stories (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – September 19
Crying Suns (PC) – September 19
Mutazione (PC, PS4) – September 19
Train Simulator 2020 (PC) – September 19
Inferno 2 (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – September 19
Grid Autosport (Switch) – September 19
Apple Arcade service launch – September 19
Overland (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – September 19
Planetside Arena – Steam Early Access (PC) – September 19
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch) – September 20
Tracks (Xbox One) – September 20
Zenith (Switch) – September 20
Azure Reflections (PC) – September 20
Untitled Goose Game (PC, Switch) – September 20
Rain of Reflections: Chapter 1 (PC) – September 20
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered (PC, PS4) – September 20
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch) – September 20
Nintendo Switch Lite console launch – September 20
The Sojourn (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – September 20
Niffelheim (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – September 20
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I was thinking of getting the Sega Mini as a gift for my friend, but I'm wondering if the "no rewind" option is a deal breaker. Not for some people, but I know he's been thankful for it on his playthrough of classic Mega Man games.

And I forgot Wrath of the White Witch Remastered was coming to PC so soon! I love all these JRPGs coming to PC, it's great.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: September 16th, 2019, 4:20 pm I was thinking of getting the Sega Mini as a gift for my friend, but I'm wondering if the "no rewind" option is a deal breaker. Not for some people, but I know he's been thankful for it on his playthrough of classic Mega Man games.
It's got save sates though, right? Maybe not quite as quick to fix an error, but how much fun can you really have if you're rewinding every time you make a mistake? At that point you're kind of just going through the motions without any sort of risk or challenge, surely? Of course it's not my place to tell anyone else how to play a game, but personally I don't think I'd get any sense of satisfaction from rewinding every 30 seconds. Save states on the other hand are very useful for a busy gamer, and can be exploited in exactly the same way but do take a second or two longer to give you chance to consider your actions.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: September 16th, 2019, 4:35 pm
duskvstweak wrote: September 16th, 2019, 4:20 pm I was thinking of getting the Sega Mini as a gift for my friend, but I'm wondering if the "no rewind" option is a deal breaker. Not for some people, but I know he's been thankful for it on his playthrough of classic Mega Man games.
It's got save sates though, right? Maybe not quite as quick to fix an error, but how much fun can you really have if you're rewinding every time you make a mistake? At that point you're kind of just going through the motions without any sort of risk or challenge, surely? Of course it's not my place to tell anyone else how to play a game, but personally I don't think I'd get any sense of satisfaction from rewinding every 30 seconds. Save states on the other hand are very useful for a busy gamer, and can be exploited in exactly the same way but do take a second or two longer to give you chance to consider your actions.
I don't use rewind much (not even sure if my SNES Mini has that feature! (just looked, it does!)) but it seems to be a pretty nice option for some. My friend has been playing Mega Man 1-6 for the first time with his son and he mentioned he never would have seen the end without the rewind option.
Considering it's becoming fairly standard to include that in retro releases, I'm just a bit surprised the Sega Mini didn't include it. I'm sure that's only an issue for some people on a case-by-case, game-by-game basis, but I'd hate to give this as a gift to someone who only plays it for an afternoon because of difficulty spikes.

And, now you got me thinking, what's more helpful/quicker/accessible? Rewind or Quick Save? I'd take QS over rewind any time, but is one considered better these days?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Although they can serve the same purpose, it's completely different functionality really I guess. With save states you have to make a conscious decision to save your game, maybe before a boss fight, or at the start of each level, or a tricky platforming section, or even just because you're turning the game off.

With rewind you literally just rewind if you mess up. You can't use it to save your game and come back later, and there's only a finite amount of time you can rewind, usually. I can't say I've never used it - when I was playing Alex Kidd on the Megadrive collection on PS4 I absolutely used it for the Janken matches, because fuck doing a level again because of totally random chance! I hope it never gets implemented in to 'current gen' games (other than part of a game mechanic) because it fundamentally breaks the challenge of the game. It's easy to say don't use it if you don't want to, but we've all been that kid told not to eat the sweets and they're there, staring at us, begging to be eaten!

In short, I'm all for save states, or at least being able to save whenever you want, but not so hot on rewinding.

EDIT: I should say, I absolutely 100% do not begrudge any using rewind functions at all. In your mates case, it enabled them to enjoy the games more and that's absolutely fine!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I guess that's my other gripe? If the Mega Drive collection had the rewind feature, why not include it in the Mini?
I won't be getting a Sega Mini for myself because I have the Sega Collection on Steam, with those options AND more games, including Sonic 3.
With the NES/SNES minis cord length, the SNES missing a few choice titles, the PS1 mini dropping the ball completely, and some of these Sega quirks, it's interesting that none of the mini consoles can get it 100% perfect. Though, aside from the PS1, most of these are just minor things. I do love my SNES Mini quite a bit.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Ni no Kuni and Zelda this week.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The MD Collection and the Mini are unrelated products by different developers. I’m not sure that M2 has included rewind in any of its many emulation releases. Either their tech doesn’t allow it, or they’re not into it I guess.

The Mini has several games unavailable anywhere else, and superior emulation to the recent MD collection. It’s obviously not an ‘essential purchase’ for many, but there are a lot of good reasons for me to have one even though I have countless MD titles across numerous other platforms.

By the way, you know it’s dead easy to add all the games you want to the SNES Classic, right?
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 16th, 2019, 9:34 pm By the way, you know it’s dead easy to add all the games you want to the SNES Classic, right?
I do! And I will...once I played all the games on there presently!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Rest of the month. Bye bye September!

Dead by Daylight (Switch) – September 24
Espire 1: VR Operative (Rift, Quest, PS VR, Vive, Index) – September 24
The Surge 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – September 24
Cat Quest 2: The Lupus Empire (PC) – September 24
Noita – Steam Early Access (PC) – September 24
The Executioner (PC) – September 25
3000th Duel – Steam Early Access (PC) – September 25
Timothy and the Mysterious Forest (PC) – September 25
Mario Kart Tour (Mobile) – September 25
Repressed (PC) – September 26
Encased – Steam Early Access (PC) – September 26
Northgard (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – September 26
Flotsam – Steam Early Access (PC) – September 26
Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition (Switch) – September 26
Contra: Rogue Corps (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – September 26
Wanderlust: Travel Stories (PC, iOS) – September 26
From The Depths – official launch (PC) – September 26
Dragon Quest 11 S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition (Switch) – September 27
Dragon Quest (Switch) – September 27
Dragon Quest 2: Luminaries of the Legendary Line (Switch) – September 27
Dragon Quest 3: The Seeds of Salvation (Switch) – September 27
FIFA 20 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – September 27
Code Vein (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – September 27
Angelo and Deemon: One Hell of a Quest (PC) – September 27
Freedom Finger (PC, Switch) – September 27
Tropico 6 (PS4, Xbox One) – September 27
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (Switch) – September 27
Teslagrad (Switch, Vita) – September 27
Archeage: Unchained (PC) – September 30
3rd Eye (PC) – September 30
Doctor Who: The Edge of Time (Rift, Quest, Vive, PS VR) – September
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

That’s interesting. My son has just got into Doctor Who in a big way so I’m tempted by the VR game.

Anyone played VR with their kids around? I’m thinking along the lines of him watching the tv so he can see what I’m seeing as I play. He’s too young to have a go yet.