Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: September 20th, 2019, 9:23 am I swear, I have systematically been through every possible combination of moves and still stuck on level 6! Been trying it on and off for a week now!
Mate, tell me about it. This game is so much harder than it looks! :lol:

Don't give up!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I’ve started Axiom Verge.

Alex’s vibes at first with Super Metroid pretty much echo how I feel - I’m about 1.5 hours in maybe, done some stuff, killed a boss, but I’m not sure if I’m really enjoying it. However I do have a weird urge to play it again so I will see where it leads... I do love the music already for sure, and there is definitely something about the atmosphere. I feel uneasy playing it. Other than Yoku’s Island Express I’ve always been allergic to Metroidvania type games, but that’s a special case I think!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 20th, 2019, 7:07 pm
Alex79uk wrote: September 20th, 2019, 9:23 am I swear, I have systematically been through every possible combination of moves and still stuck on level 6! Been trying it on and off for a week now!
Mate, tell me about it. This game is so much harder than it looks! :lol:

Don't give up!
I did it!! Now I'm stuck on the first level with two snakes, haha.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

hazeredmist wrote: September 20th, 2019, 7:19 pm I’ve started Axiom Verge.

Alex’s vibes at first with Super Metroid pretty much echo how I feel - I’m about 1.5 hours in maybe, done some stuff, killed a boss, but I’m not sure if I’m really enjoying it. However I do have a weird urge to play it again so I will see where it leads... I do love the music already for sure, and there is definitely something about the atmosphere. I feel uneasy playing it. Other than Yoku’s Island Express I’ve always been allergic to Metroidvania type games, but that’s a special case I think!
Did you see my second post? I'm really loving it now. It really clicked after I restarted it and kind of approached it with a different mindset. The game doesn't care about wasting your time, mind. Several occasions there appears to be no way forward, but one block out of 20 is bombable. There's a lot of trial and error, but it really is a very good game I think.

EDIT: Sorry, you're actually talking about Axiom Verge aren't you! I only ever got about an hour in to that before giving up. I may go back one day, but it's nowhere near top of my to do list at the moment. Seemed OK, but much more enjoyable MetroidVania's are available.

Did you ever play Guacamelee?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Untitled Goose Game

Link's Awakening

Puzzle Quest

Ai: Somnium

What a fuckin week, and still Daemon X Machina got me excited from way back when (last week).
RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

So I started God of War (2018) last night. I'm super-impressed. I spend most of my time playing games from the 80s and 90s. The best thing about that is that I get that new console feeling every time I go back to a current gen (or even previous gen to be honest)game.

This is only the second narrative driven current gen game I've played and the technical aspects of it completely blow me away. The sound and the graphics and the way the sound and graphics work together are just amazing. The voice acting too (Baldur is the start turn so far!).

Gameplay wise, I'm surprised at just how God of War-ish it feels. Some of the non God of War aspects feel a little tacked on at the moment. I'm three hours ish in and I've only just found a runic thing and I've not had any opportunity to increase any stats yet, I'm sure it will all come. To be honest, I don't care for you much vitality or hit points I have but perhaps I will in due course.

The dynamic between Kratos and Atreus feels predictably reminiscent of Last of Us but the direction and script are very different. I look forward to seeing how that plays out. I haven't really discovered Atreus' usefulness in combat yet but I sense I need to use him more.

I'm looking forward to playing some more this evening!
Suits

Post by Suits »

RetroClarence wrote: September 20th, 2019, 8:05 pm So I started God of War (2018) last night.
Blew my mind that game did.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, it was brilliant. The combat felt so weighty, crashing that axe down with such a thud.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I bought AI: The Somnium Files and I really enjoyed the hour I spent with it earlier today. A top-tier Uchikoshi visual novel is exactly what I'm in the mood for at the moment. Glad I stayed away from spoilers and going in completely blind. More thoughts to follow.

RetroClarence wrote: September 20th, 2019, 8:05 pm Gameplay wise, I'm surprised at just how God of War-ish it feels.
Interesting, I had the exact opposite experience.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is now on gamepass, so I’ve been playing that this evening.

It’s pretty good isn’t it?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: September 20th, 2019, 7:43 pm
hazeredmist wrote: September 20th, 2019, 7:19 pm I’ve started Axiom Verge.

Did you see my second post? I'm really loving it now. It really clicked after I restarted it and kind of approached it with a different mindset. The game doesn't care about wasting your time, mind. Several occasions there appears to be no way forward, but one block out of 20 is bombable. There's a lot of trial and error, but it really is a very good game I think.

EDIT: Sorry, you're actually talking about Axiom Verge aren't you! I only ever got about an hour in to that before giving up. I may go back one day, but it's nowhere near top of my to do list at the moment. Seemed OK, but much more enjoyable MetroidVania's are available.

Did you ever play Guacamelee?
Haha no worries - I’ve just come off my second go and I really don’t think this game is for me. It’s confirmed my fears that the genre doesn’t gel and that’s just how it is. With Yoku I felt joy and fun constantly - with this it feels desolate, samey, boring. The backtracking and map stuff is a chore. When I die I’m back to some arbitrary save point ten minutes ago. I simply can’t be arsed and don’t have the time for this sort of game so I’m calling it!

Guacamelee I have on Vita actually and have never really given it a proper go. Is it something that would appeal to someone like me who doesn’t like metroidvanias but likes the idea of liking them? :)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

To be totally honest, that's pretty much why I'll never get into Undertale or Rick & Morty or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or anything else where the 'community' are constantly lying in wait to make a reference but we're old, basically, and we've no doubt done plenty similar with our own in-jokey stuff and we very likely still do. I do find it a bit depressing when I hear kids communicate in memes but is it any worse than me and my mates saying 'booyakasha' five thousand times an hour twenty years ago?

Whether or not Colin Hunt is hammering it, Untitled Goose Game has a pretty funny and rare comic sensibility (for a game) and sometimes things are both really good and also adopted by people who will choke every last drop of life out of them. Sometimes, and this does not come naturally to me, it's also just nice to join in.
Spoiler: show

HONK!

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

hazeredmist wrote: September 21st, 2019, 12:09 am Guacamelee I have on Vita actually and have never really given it a proper go. Is it something that would appeal to someone like me who doesn’t like metroidvanias but likes the idea of liking them? :)
I'd certainly give it a try. I really liked it. The combat in it is really good, and if anything it's more of a fighting/platform game. There are some Celeste-like platforming sections that are absolutely fiendish towards the latter half of the game, and so many fighting moves to unlock. Its brilliant when you have five enemies on screen and are combo-ing between them. All I'd say is give it a couple of hours.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: September 21st, 2019, 3:22 amDaniel Kitson
Off topic: Are you aware of https://danielkitson.bandcamp.com/

I've bought everything available on there because damned if it's not the only way to get your hands on any of his stuff, short of seeing him live. I mean there's not even anything on torrent sites other than a couple of old bootlegs that have been floating around for years.

I heartily recommend The Ballad Of Roger And Grace. An exquisitely, heart-wrenching, masterclass of storytelling.

The man is a god.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I haven't watched that yet, saving it for when I need it, like a favorite blanket on a rainy day. I meant more are you aware of his Bandcamp page, there are a few shows on there. A couple of free ones, and several low price ones. Worth every penny.

And yes, you're like an algorithm has produced a bot of all my favorite things. But then you've rebelled against your AI and gone a bit haywire. That doesn't mean I love you any less. You're still part of the family. :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: September 21st, 2019, 7:10 am Yeah, I've bought all the stuff on bandcamp. It's a shame he's such a self-doubting perfectionist, because I bet there's loads of audio he's hanging on to that I'd gladly lap up.
There is, he's planning on putting it up there when he gets round to it. I emailed and asked him and was surprised to get a reply!

And yes, 'superfluous, hyperactive gibberish' wasn't meant maliciously, nothing I say ever is.

Re: lipstick. In the mid 90s I'd go out every weekend in Birmingham to the rock clubs or trance parties in full goth face. White face, black eyes and lips, black hair, long black coat. I thought I was The Crow. Got some funny looks on the bus. But times were lighter, and there were a lot more psycadelics around in those days...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Word of advice, though: Pre-owned 360 controllers usually have some noticeable stick drift problems.

It's a good controller overall but not terribly resilient, unfortunately.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’m obsessed with Super Mario World on Switch. Over 30 hours since I decided to have a quick go about 10 days ago, I’ve got 3 of 96 exits left, and am now playing through everything again because I’ve no idea where I can have missed any of them. Hell of a game!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

stvnorman wrote: September 21st, 2019, 7:14 pm I’m obsessed with Super Mario World on Switch. Over 30 hours since I decided to have a quick go about 10 days ago, I’ve got 3 of 96 exits left, and am now playing through everything again because I’ve no idea where I can have missed any of them. Hell of a game!
Mate, every time I've been online in the last few days, there you are, plugging away at it :lol:

I think I'm nearing the end of Super Metroid. It's been brilliant. Looking forward to playing Zelda LTTP properly for the first time next.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: September 21st, 2019, 7:18 pm Mate, every time I've been online in the last few days, there you are, plugging away at it :lol:

I think I'm nearing the end of Super Metroid. It's been brilliant. Looking forward to playing Zelda LTTP properly for the first time next.
Yeah, the wife’s been away with work and I’ve been taking full advantage! Just found one more as the clock went past 35 hours - normal exit I’d missed. Two to go! Enjoyed reading your updates on Super Metroid. That’s next and I can’t wait!