Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79 »

Inspired by Ksub's recent post, I decide to go through The Room games (well, or at least play them until I've had enough!) I only remember finishing the first one before, although I definitely played some of the second.

Fortunately, it's been so long I don't remember any of the solutions whatsoever in the first game so it's like playing it fresh. It really is an almost perfect, exquisitely designed game, so tactile it's a joy to play. I'm not always a fan of in game hint systems, so some degree of self control is needed if you don't want to spoil it for yourself, but I'm about halfway through and have needed to use it once - I think it was more down to poor signposting in that my phones gyro controls were needed to solve a puzzle, and there had been no indication before that point that this was even a mechanic in the game. But that's really my only gripe so far. Such a good game.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

They’re all good, but the third one does feel like it’s a little too over featured with all the Myst style moving between rooms. The fourth one dials that back again and it’s much the better for it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

BotW is pretty cool, it turns out.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 11:26 am BotW is pretty cool, it turns out.
You got a Switch!? It's an amazing game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 3:12 pm You got a Switch!? It's an amazing game.
Nope, still rocking the good old WiiU for now. Works like a charm.

I just finished the Great Plateau main quest. Very impressed, overall. The organic mechanical interplay of all the various systems is amazing to experiment with (I'm trying to find out as much stuff as I can by myself because those a-ha moments are incredibly satisfying), the world is really well designed / structured and I'm very curious to see what the future shrines may have in store.

I don't think I've ever finished any Zelda game in the past (I always get burned out at the halfway point, the series has never truly clicked with me so far), I'm not as hot on Nintendo as I used to be and my grievances with the standard open world model are obviously well-documented by now, but I can tell this is something special. Very happy to see good old Nintendo show the rest of the industry how it's done.

One thing I look forward to is listen to the arguments of long-time Zelda fans who didn't like BotW in comparison to the other 3D Zeldas after I've finished the game. That should be interesting considering my usual stance on radical series changes.

To be continued.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just started Dead Cells. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, though I'm as rubbish at it as I am at most games. The graphics and music are right up my alley, so dying over and over isn't as frustrating as it could be.
Sometimes, it seems like I should skip ahead with the shortcuts, other times it seems like its better to go through lower levels first? Basically, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 4:09 pm I just finished the Great Plateau main quest. Very impressed, overall. The organic mechanical interplay of all the various systems is amazing to experiment with (I'm trying to find out as much stuff as I can by myself because those a-ha moments are incredibly satisfying), the world is really well designed / structured and I'm very curious to see what the future shrines may have in store.
Yeah those ah-ha moments are really what makes the game. If you can think it, you can generally do it. I love the open world, not an icon in sight!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 4:09 pm
Alex79uk wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 3:12 pm You got a Switch!? It's an amazing game.
Nope, still rocking the good old WiiU for now. Works like a charm.

I just finished the Great Plateau main quest. Very impressed, overall. The organic mechanical interplay of all the various systems is amazing to experiment with (I'm trying to find out as much stuff as I can by myself because those a-ha moments are incredibly satisfying), the world is really well designed / structured and I'm very curious to see what the future shrines may have in store.

I don't think I've ever finished any Zelda game in the past (I always get burned out at the halfway point, the series has never truly clicked with me so far), I'm not as hot on Nintendo as I used to be and my grievances with the standard open world model are obviously well-documented by now, but I can tell this is something special. Very happy to see good old Nintendo show the rest of the industry how it's done.

One thing I look forward to is listen to the arguments of long-time Zelda fans who didn't like BotW in comparison to the other 3D Zeldas after I've finished the game. That should be interesting considering my usual stance on radical series changes.

To be continued.
Let’s swap friend codes! I’ve just set mine up again.

I own Breath of the Wild on Switch, but I first played it and completed it on Wii U. I’m a few hours into the game on Switch (it’s a rainy day game for me, comfy slippers) and I honestly don’t notice anything performance wise between the two platforms. Digital Foundry might, but not me. Point is it’s perfectly playable on the system it was originally developed for. Only thing I dislike really is the lack of Wii U specific features such as the tablet pad stuff Wind Waker had. Clearly abandoned when the game dev shifted to accommodate switch which doesn’t have that feature (it’s one I miss from Nintendo’s abandoned and underrated Wii U)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

About an hour or so into Control and it reminds me very much of the X Files. I think it was mentioned elsewhere but you do feel like you have started watching a film 30 minutes in at the beginning.

I am interested in the premise and the location, gunplay is good (although coming from Gears 5 I keep tapping A to go into cover).

I think much like an X Files episode it will end with me thinking I really enjoyed that and will remember it or I will have forgotten about it in two weeks.

I started my Nintendo Online Sub again on the premise of playing the SNES stuff however I have instead been playing Tetris 99 and I am awful at it. I can get top 10 or so but seem to struggle to get badges. The awful Kirby theme and music is putting me off (so I tell myself).

This has started my long dormant Tetris addiction again and I have gone back to Tetris Effect. I will play this through over the next few days I'm sure. Don't think you lose much by not playing in VR. Great music
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ThirdMan wrote: September 24th, 2019, 2:53 pm.
I was about 80+ hours in but I'd unlocked the DLC and had loads more content to get through. However I woke up one day and decided that after 3 months of occasional play, now was the time to wrap it up. A couple of hours later I was all done and moving onto my next game.
My experience exactly. Turned it on one day as usual after a similar amount of time with loads left to so but just decided it was time to finish it, Somehow the opposite of what I’ve been playing...

When I started, I had no intention of playing Super Mario World for over 35 hours, but getting to the “end” then mopping up a few areas I wanted to go back to turned into having found enough of the 96 exits to make me want to have a go at all of them. Which I’ve a feeling was the intention all along when it was made!

Finding the last 3 was a serious slog, starting again (again) and doing every normal and alternate exit on every level in turn, many of them for the umpteenth time. Two turned out to be normal exits I’d not taken first or second or third time around, and the last was in the final ghost house, which I’d only played once, and where the minute I entered again I remembered it was here!

It’s a remarkable game that I’d never played until it appeared on the Switch, but I can safely say I know every single level as intimately now as I would if I’d had a SNES decades ago. And the SNES Classic Mini second play through continues.

First time playing Metroid Prime underway now!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So I've hit a game breaking bug in Control

During the fight v
Spoiler: show
Tomassi
at the start when I was killed by him pretty much as I was about to kill him I restarted at the save point next to the room you fight him in yet the small cut scene isn't triggered and he doesn't appear even though that is my only objective.

No option to select another save file. I have reinstalled the game, restarted my xbox and travelled around the map triggering other auto saves but still no spawn

Infuriating as I was enjoying this
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I started the Messenger last night! Got to the 16-bit stage. Fun little game, scratches the Ninja Gaiden itch a bit without being as difficult. Though, and this breaks my heart, the soundtrack is doing nothing for me. It all sounds right for an indie pixel based 2D action-platformer, but not of the tracks are standing out. Some seem downright lazy. The only time that's happened to me before is that game Necrosphere. Maybe the game is saving the best for last.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

I'm playing Dead Space for the first ever time (I know right) and really enjoying it. I'm very likely to pick up the sequel pretty soon after finishing it.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

FemalePheromones wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:11 pm I'm playing Dead Space for the first ever time (I know right) and really enjoying it. I'm very likely to pick up the sequel pretty soon after finishing it.
I also got to the first game late! Still need to play second one! I think I found I was more revolted by the monsters than afraid of them in that first one.
FemalePheromones

duskvstweak wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:20 pm
I also got to the first game late! Still need to play second one! I think I found I was more revolted by the monsters than afraid of them in that first one.
I don't find them revolting but that may be due to the now 11 year old graphics. I can't help but think this game would massively benefit from a remaster. Especially after recently playing the Bioshock 1 & 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 & Brotherhood remasters.

I actually played the demo way back when and couldn't get the hang of it. I felt really underpowered and overwhelmed and never looked back. At least it has given me something to play during my current wait for Doom Eternal though.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

FemalePheromones wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:57 pm
duskvstweak wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:20 pm
I don't find them revolting but that may be due to the now 11 year old graphics. I can't help but think this game would massively benefit from a remaster. Especially after recently playing the Bioshock 1 & 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 & Brotherhood remasters.

I actually played the demo way back when and couldn't get the hang of it. I felt really underpowered and overwhelmed and never looked back. At least it has given me something to play during my current wait for Doom Eternal though.
And I think the second game is more action-based, so that might keep you happy while waiting!
FemalePheromones

duskvstweak wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:59 pm And I think the second game is more action-based, so that might keep you happy while waiting!
I'm not sure I can jump straight in like that without something different to play inbetween. I went directly from AC2 to Brotherhood and got pretty burned out about half way through the latter. I'm sure I'll find something on Game Pass to cover me though
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

FemalePheromones wrote: September 25th, 2019, 7:03 pm
duskvstweak wrote: September 25th, 2019, 6:59 pm And I think the second game is more action-based, so that might keep you happy while waiting!
I'm not sure I can jump straight in like that without something different to play inbetween. I went directly from AC2 to Brotherhood and got pretty burned out about half way through the latter. I'm sure I'll find something on Game Pass to cover me though
I never play series games right after the other. Last year, I made an exception for Resident Evil during October and I was burned out by Nemesis. I should have stopped there but I went right into Codename Veronica and it...was not good for me or the game.
FemalePheromones

duskvstweak wrote: September 25th, 2019, 7:07 pm
I never play series games right after the other. Last year, I made an exception for Resident Evil during October and I was burned out by Nemesis. I should have stopped there but I went right into Codename Veronica and it...was not good for me or the game.
Oh yeah especially with RE I would definitely have to have a break between. Dead Space has weirdly got me wanting to play REmake though...
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

FemalePheromones wrote: September 25th, 2019, 7:11 pm
duskvstweak wrote: September 25th, 2019, 7:07 pm
Oh yeah especially with RE I would definitely have to have a break between. Dead Space has weirdly got me wanting to play REmake though...
REmake and Resi 2 (ps1) were the ones I most enjoyed last year. I didn't play the ps1 Resi 1. I figured the REmake would be the best choice. I'm going to be playing Zero this year.