Games You've Started But Never Finished

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Games You've Started But Never Finished

Post by duskvstweak »

At this moment, the biggest offenders on my own list include;

Planescape Torment (started twice)
X2: Wolverine's Revenge (made it to the Juggernaut fight and then was OUT)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (rented it a few times, maybe got a little bit more than halfway?)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (I just got to the big base but I sold a bunch of games before college and this was one of them)
Hitman: Blood Money (I was bad at it and I didn't like it. I last left it on the boat level)
Final Fantasy Tactics (I didn't realize what enemies scaling with you meant! I was young!)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (I was on my way out of portable gaming, but I played this so much!)
Ogre Battles 64 (this brakes my heart, actually)
Onimusha 3 (I gotta get back to that one...)

This list is starting to give me a complex!
FemalePheromones

Re: Games You've Started But Never Finished

Post by FemalePheromones »

duskvstweak wrote: September 26th, 2019, 8:36 pm
Metal Gear Solid 3
Yep. I got to the fight with The End way back when and had to take the game back to Blockbuster and then never played it again.

Also Assassin's Creed 3. Played for 2-3 hours and was bored shitless so gave up.

The only other one I can think of is Resident Evil 0.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Morrowind. My nemesis when it comes to this. I really want to love it, and I still do like the atmosphere and the concept of it a lot. And I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours in the Oblivion and Skyrim. But I can't crack Morrowind. I've lost count of how many times I've tried, probably approaching 10 times by this point. The game really hates new players. I can deal with the jankiness of the presentation (in fact it gives the game a certain charm), I can deal with the RNG combat stuff (just make sure you get hold of an appropriately classed weapon), and even the painfully slow running speed can be mitigated by speccing your character right. But there's just always something else that goes wrong and screws you in the early game. Not enough inventory space, contracting some disease I don't know how to deal with, getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere, burning through all your resources in a spot you get yourself stuck in, etc.

I think the draw distance is a huge problem too. It's very hard to get any sense of location or place when you can't see more than a few dozen feet in front of you. It makes navigation feel like you're walking around blind. It hurts the immersion too when you can literally see hillsides drawing in in front of you as you walk along, or when you can't even see a whole building of Vivec in view at once. It's especially bad on the console version, which also brings in the issue of atrocious load times. Really discourages you from playing when you have to spent ages simply walking in and out of doors talking to characters for quests. But on the other side of the coin, the PC version doesn't work with controllers, and the UI scales with resolution, making it near impossible to see at TV viewing distances.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

duskvstweak wrote: September 26th, 2019, 8:36 pm At this moment, the biggest offenders on my own list include;

Planescape Torment (started twice)
X2: Wolverine's Revenge (made it to the Juggernaut fight and then was OUT)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (rented it a few times, maybe got a little bit more than halfway?)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (I just got to the big base but I sold a bunch of games before college and this was one of them)
Hitman: Blood Money (I was bad at it and I didn't like it. I last left it on the boat level)
Final Fantasy Tactics (I didn't realize what enemies scaling with you meant! I was young!)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (I was on my way out of portable gaming, but I played this so much!)
Ogre Battles 64 (this brakes my heart, actually)
Onimusha 3 (I gotta get back to that one...)

This list is starting to give me a complex!
I’ve started Planescape about 5 times but this year is different as I’ve set myself a goal to finish it before the podcast. I’m 45 hours in and still keep waiting to be convinced that I should keep playing. I can’t understand why it is so revered.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Most of my backlog would qualify, I'm afraid. :(

I don't think I have many games that I haven't at least tried out at some point.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Plenty. The only ones I wish I'd finished though are:

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI.

Usually, if I want to finish a game I will. But those I genuinely wish I had, but have never got round to it (yet).

I very rarely abandon a game once I start it, really. Unless it's terrible. Some, like the Bethesda RPGs, I'll put 100s of hours in and never finish the main story, but that doesn't matter really.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Recently binned Detroit after 8 chapters. I just couldn’t face tidying up or taking old men to the toilet any more.

However, what sticks out for me is not finishing Assassin’s Creed Black Flag. Always been a disappointment. I’d played about 35 hours, and after multiple times failing the same stupid follow someone stealth mission, I just thought b*ll*cks to this, deleted it and sold it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My list would be way too long to go through on here really.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Flabyo wrote: September 27th, 2019, 7:30 am My list would be way too long to go through on here really.
Same but I will put a few that annoy me anyway.

Final Fantasy VIII. I got to near the last boss where all your abilities are taken away and couldn't progress. Just rebought on Switch.

MGS V. Bought day one with limited edition guide. Traded it in then bought it digitally on PS4 and still not got further than rescuing Miller. It has since been PS+ and on Gamepass :lol: (I have finished every other MGS game)

Breath Of The Wild. Still own in and attempted 6 times to get into it. Got to the Elephant Divine beast and the last boss on that was awful so never been back.

Fallout 4. Bought Day One Digitally with all the DLC for £79.99. Got about 30 or so hours in and never been back after saving it in an area way over levelled.

Fallout 76. Probably one of the few people who actually enjoyed it but subconsciously fell off it

Mario Odyssey 473 moons in

Alien Isolation on Nightmare. I have completed AI when it came and every Halloween since on Hard. However when they revealed a nightmare mode even more difficult I was all over it. Attempted twice and each time got to the same point and unable to progress due to the Working Joes. Will be going again on Nightmare this Halloween though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: September 27th, 2019, 7:30 am My list would be way too long to go through on here really.
Well, maybe a few then...

There’s a lot of JRPGs that I aborted around the time I realised I didn’t enjoy playing them anymore. Ni no Kuni and FF13 being the main offenders there.

Never finished any of the Souls games (never got more than a few hours into any of them to be told).

I tend to finish most fps and third person action games that I start, but I bounced off Bayonetta pretty hard.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

More than I could count, if only because there are very few games I don't at least try out for a quick impression after I've bought them.

One that hurts especially though is a game I've actually made a real investment in to finish: The Last Story for Wii. I'm just way too underleveled to take down the final boss and can't damage him enough in his last phase before my whole party is wiped out. Would have to start over again and while it's a short game by JRPG standards, it's still 20-25 hours of my life for a game I kind of like, but don't exactly love.

Super Paper Mario is another one, funnily enough. Kind of saved myself into a corner there. I think I can overcome it by returning back to the town and stocking up on health items and doing the first few levels of the (final?) world I'm in again, but it isn't something I'm particularly looking forward to.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Grandia is the one for me, I regret not playing it long enough for the game to open up and really get going. I've tried it twice and gave up pretty early. It wasn't that I disliked it either time, it just didn't make much of an impression, the intro is quite long winded and both times I was at a point in life where I didn't have the patience to persist with it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Hundreds.

Big titles will be, Read Dead 2, Majora’s Mask, Half Life 2....
FemalePheromones

DomsBeard wrote: September 27th, 2019, 8:38 am
MGS V. Bought day one with limited edition guide. Traded it in then bought it digitally on PS4 and still not got further than rescuing Miller. It has since been PS+ and on Gamepass :lol: (I have finished every other MGS game)
Oh yeah I forgot about MGSV. I got to...
Spoiler: show
The repeat of the mission when you have to fight off the Skulls at the airfield with the doctor. God knows how many attempts I had at it. Ridiculously difficult for no reason.
Eventually gave up and uninstalled the game and never looked back.
FemalePheromones

DomsBeard wrote: September 27th, 2019, 8:38 am
Oh yeah I forgot about MGSV. I got to...
Spoiler: show
The repeat of the mission when you have to fight off the Skulls at the airfield with the doctor. God knows how many attempts I had at it. Ridiculously difficult for no reason.
Eventually gave up and uninstalled the game and never looked back.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: September 27th, 2019, 10:58 am Hundreds.

Big titles will be, Read Dead 2, Majora’s Mask, Half Life 2....
Oh yeah forgot about Red Dead 2 :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote: September 27th, 2019, 5:35 pm Oh yeah forgot about Red Dead 2 :lol:
I’ll get around to watching the story on YouTube one day, as the story is incredible.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Highlights (lowlights) from my pile of shame (at least the ones started ...):

Chrono Trigger - No idea where I am in this, somewhere around the point Magus has first met the party

Final Fantasy VII - Gold Saucer ...

Crackdown - two of three gang leaders dealt with

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - didn't even get to Civil War

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood/Black Flag/Origins/Odyssey - consistently dropping out two-four 'sequences' into the game

Alan Wake - no idea where I am - somewhere in the forest :roll:

Deadlight - maybe halfway?

Gear of War Judgement - somewhere around the first 1/3

GTA V - Just before the first heist
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

A fair few I can think of alright! Some of these I regret immensely, others I really was not feeling it.

Rayman 2: Loved the hell out of this but I had the N64 version and our memory pak was busted so every time I played it I always started from scratch. Parents were not going to splash out on a new one so I ended up selling it. Would really love to properly tackle it someday.

Ico: Honestly found it a bit tedious having to constantly fend off shadow monsters and the stick is useless. Bounced off it.

Sin and Punishment 2: Got stuck at really tough boss and meant to restart it again but ended up leaving my Wii behind when I moved abroad. Another big regret, the controls were fantastic.

Madworld: Time limit annoyed me, just stopped playing it.

3D Dot Heroes: At the time I bought this, was so knackered from my job that I never had the energy to fully commit to this! Eventually sold it.

Kirby & the Amazing Mirror: Love Kirby, love metroidvanias but this was not doing it for me. Complex exploration based gameplay is just not what I am looking for with the little pink puff.

Super Mario Bros 3: On World 6, I believe. Stuck on confusing maze like castle level. Traveling soon so plan to tackle it then. Really would like to tick this off my list.

Metroid: Samus Returns: Enjoyed what I played of it but I am beginning to realise that I am just not into handheld gaming anymore. Not even sure why but just don't have the compulsion to have a proper gaming session with the 3DS lately. Maybe when this PhD is finished that might change so might return to it in half a year or so!

Link's Awakening: Bought on eShop on 3DS. Again don't know why but this just did not hold my attention.

....And that's it for now. Bittersweet trip down memory lane this was.