The Guardian's Top 50 games of the century

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Re: The Guardian's Top 50 games of the century

Post by duskvstweak »

Only 27 for me!

It's weird. They mention Burnout 3 and...keep going? I guess they thought there were games worth talking about after talking about the best game?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ThirdMan wrote: September 21st, 2019, 12:13 am I should have noticed this earlier, but four of the titles, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Deus Ex, The Sims and Majora's Mask, are from the year 2000 and are therefore 20th century games. The 21st Century began on January 1st, 2001.
You’re absolutely right! A small group of my friends pointed this out when everyone was having millennium celebrations that they were a year early. That was back when I was a pesky know it all and didn’t realise people just wanted a party.

Maybe the Guardian believes there was a year zero?
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Played only 16/50.

5 were almost perfect games for me. Dead Space, Forza Horizon, Burnout 3, Call of Duty 4 and Res 4.

Halo, Gears 2, Assassin's Creed II, Battlefield 1942 and Fortnite wouldn't be in my top 1000 but that's me.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

I've tried 29 of those titles, which honestly was more than I was expecting, though some of those are definitely 'have played for an hour just to try it'. And if we are talking franchises over individual games, then I'd be again more up that list. Completions, well, I just about hit double digits ...

I wonder if this is a list of highest earning, or best selling, with a bit of author's preference ... and a little of 'what will the readers have heard of' ...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Odyssey > Galaxy for me. Rather easily. Each to their own! I am yet to complete Galaxy, I love the vibe of the game, a few levels in now and am sort of getting used to the controls... I didn't have to force myself to enjoy Odyssey.

Portal 2 over Portal? :?:

It's a strange list. But lots of very good games. I've played 35 of them.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Made it up to 21 games that I've played from that list. Never even heard of SingStar before. The only one I can really be baffled at is Left 4 Dead 1 over Left 4 Dead 2. There are certainly complaints to be had over the second existing instead of patching the first, but the second is everything the first has and more.

I'd say not enough indies from there but if this is coming from someone who would probably have half of the list be indies if I did it. Better reasonings would have been nice.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Astonished that you’d never heard of Singstar. I get not being into it (I’ve never owned one), but it was all over the place from 2004-2011 or so, and is still going today. It was even autoinstalled on PS3 for a while.

Upwards of 16 million sales, dozens of versions, it was hard to avoid for a while, especially in game shops!
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

18 for me and a couple I didn't play for very long like The Last Of Us and GTA5.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 29th, 2019, 11:09 am Astonished that you’d never heard of Singstar. I get not being into it (I’ve never owned one), but it was all over the place from 2004-2011 or so, and is still going today. It was even autoinstalled on PS3 for a while.

Upwards of 16 million sales, dozens of versions, it was hard to avoid for a while, especially in game shops!
I looked up what it is and it is possible I heard of it during random commercials. I vaguely remember one that had the mics and was at least the same type of thing as SingStar. I'm about as musically inclined as a dying dog so that entire genre tends to get ignored.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 29th, 2019, 11:09 am Astonished that you’d never heard of Singstar. I get not being into it (I’ve never owned one), but it was all over the place from 2004-2011 or so, and is still going today. It was even autoinstalled on PS3 for a while.

I didn't like getting SingStar auto-installed on my console taking up HDD space. I was very angry when I discovered it couldn't be removed. To this day it still bugs me seeing it there on the XMB. A similar thing happened with an iPhone update once which put a U2 album on everyone's iTunes. Luckily that became deletable (is that a word?) after enough people complained.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Played all, completed 38 of them that can be completed. List seems a bit disjointed but probably for a good reason, they're mostly solid games.

A sprinkle of Virtues Last Reward, Valkyria Chronicles and Street Fighter wouldn't have gone amiss.