Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Alex79 »

That was a great post, ThirdMan.

I'll probably watch the film at some point. I've never seen the old films, but I saw the last one from a few years back and enjoyed it enough for what it was.

----

We are watching Derry Girls on Netflix right now. Its great. It would be a bit dismissive to describe it as a female Inbetweeners, but that's the closest comparison I can make. The setting only makes it more interesting, too.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: September 30th, 2019, 8:30 am I'm just gonna give up.
Before you do:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Happy Birthday, Clip!

To quote my senile nan, "I hop its your beast birthday!"
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: September 30th, 2019, 3:36 pm That picture is looking a lot more unnerving this time round.
Why is that gang of owls surrounding and looming over me?
Because I thought this one would have been too cruel:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Say, clippa, I'm not saying you're old but do you remember when Seven Samurai came out at the pictures?

*segue*

I've been rewatching one of my favourite films, Seven Samurai. I've only ever seen it twice before, last time was a decade ago but since the first time I saw it it's stuck with me. The atmosphere, the acting (oof), the composition, the facial expressions, the charisma, the cruelty, humanity, humour, goddamn Mifune! There are so many incredible frames, ugh, I wish it lasted ten hours. It's such an obvious classic that it's almost easily to overlook and forget quite how magnificent it is, but it really is special.

Shame that all the Kurosawa and Ozu recently disappeared from the BFI Player!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Hope you had a nice birthday clipps :thumbsup:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Stanshall wrote: September 30th, 2019, 7:43 pm
Shame that all the Kurosawa and Ozu recently disappeared from the BFI Player!
I know they're all on the Criterion streaming service. But, maybe that's one app too many!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I can't get that to work, unfortunately :(

Unless something has changed in the UK?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I saw Joker over the weekend and I did enjoy it, however as a huge DC fan I didn't feel like this was a DC film or that this iteration of the Joker would fit in any kind of Batman universe we have had before. Phoenix is superb and deserves every allocalade going. I am wondering how my enjoyment of the film is down to never seeing Taxi Driver or King Of Comedy (I will check them out now though) as this has been referenced in many peoples thoughts,
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah I agree I also feel the film didnt need
Spoiler: show
to show the death of the Waynes again
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Simonsloth wrote: September 26th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Alex79uk wrote: September 26th, 2019, 9:19 pm Haha same here, my girlfriend wanted to watch it but has become less enthralled as the conspiracy stuff becomes more apparent, she just likes a straightforward police show, but I'm really loving the direction it's gone. Don't really remember seeing anything quite like this coming out of the UK before, not outside of Black Mirror anyway, which I guess is the closest I can come to finding a comparison, and it's a tenuous link at best.
Maybe it’s deliberate. Target the more persuasive demographic then lasso the rest of the sofa for the ride before the crowd pleasing conclusion. To be honest I hope that the end isn’t predictable and boring although I suspect it will be.

It’s line of duty with a sprinkle of Dan Brown. I hope they aren’t afraid to run down that path and be a bit different. It’s BBC so I guess they’ll play it safe.
So what did you think of the final couple of episodes? I thought it ended OK, but couldn't help feeling a little disappointed with how it all turned out. Left well open for another season though, I guess. There was a lot that never really got answered.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm desperately trying to find the Nick Cave film, One More Time With Feeling somewhere to stream. Netflix, Prime Video, Sky On Demand, nowhere has it! I think I'm going to have to actually pony up some cash :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: October 12th, 2019, 2:44 pm I ruined Nick Cave for myself pretending he was singing about "sweet, hot cum" here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8L2qsMJX20&t=1m0s

After that I couldn't take him seriously any more.
This is... fucking brilliant. Unruin yourself. Nick is Jesus. (because Trent is already God).

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

ThirdMan wrote: October 13th, 2019, 3:47 pm Also, this is an ugly point to raise, but the weight gain of two of the actors is an issue. Jesse is noticeably heavier and it's distracting in some of the flashback scenes where he's trying to portray his younger, thinner self. However there's another actor that has gained a very significant amount of weight and it shatters any sense of continuity with his character in the main series.
Spoiler: show
I had read that that the actor that plays Todd had gained a lot of weight for a role in Fargo (which I haven't seen) but still if he can gain weight for a role surely he can lose weight for another role especially when it messes with continuity.

One thing that bugged me with Jesse was the flashback with Mike where he calls Jesse a teen. A teen! I guess it makes sense as he's supposed to have not long left school at the start of BB right and then most of the series took place over the space of asbout a year while the last 2 episodes were another year if I remember correctly. So Jesse should be around 20 or very early 20s. Aaron Paul looked nowhere near that young so I looked up straight away and he's 40.
FemalePheromones

I saw Alien in 4K for it's 40th anniversary at the beginning of the year. Absolutely loved it. I need to remember to keep an eye out for when cinemas are showing classic films.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

FemalePheromones wrote: October 15th, 2019, 1:28 pm I saw Alien in 4K for it's 40th anniversary at the beginning of the year. Absolutely loved it. I need to remember to keep an eye out for when cinemas are showing classic films.
I want to do this more but I was a bit put off by my experience when I went to see the original Halloween last year, it was like most of the audience were just there to take the piss out of it, it was non-stop belly laughs from start to finish. I tried not to let it bother me too much, I felt like maybe I was just being a miserable nerd but either way it's made me think twice about seeing other films where there is a possibility of people turning up to mock it.
Caligulas Horse

ThirdMan wrote: October 15th, 2019, 2:52 pm
Caligulas Horse wrote: October 15th, 2019, 2:19 pmit was like most of the audience were just there to take the piss out of it
That can be a problem. I was at a screening of Blue Velvet a few years back and there were two young idiots louding laughing at the film in a very pointed way, then talking and jeering to themselves. I shuffled up a few seats and had a quiet word in their ear and that put an end to it. Very uncharacteristic of me but it was a six hour round trip for me just to see that on the big screen! I wasn't about to have it ruined by two asymmetrical haircuts with a student discount.
haha! Well done for saying something though and at least they stopped when you did. I've come across some annoying characters at the cinema but that Halloween audience was something else, I didn't realise there were that many people who would go to the cinema just to have a laugh at the film's expense.
FemalePheromones

@ThirdMan that is absolutely savage. But at the rate you seem to watch films it doesn't really surprise me that they could get mixed up in your head. I have always been on the side of Alien being better than Aliens though. Both are great films but at the end of the day witout Alien there would be no Aliens.

@Caligulas Horse maybe I was lucky but the whole room was strangely silent as if everyone was watching it for the first time. You have made me question whether I should risk it again though...
Caligulas Horse

FemalePheromones wrote: October 15th, 2019, 6:13 pm
@Caligulas Horse maybe I was lucky but the whole room was strangely silent as if everyone was watching it for the first time. You have made me question whether I should risk it again though...
I think you shouldn't worry about it too much, I was probably just unlucky with that crowd and it probably depends on the film; 70's horror films are a bit of an easy target!
FemalePheromones

Caligulas Horse wrote: October 16th, 2019, 10:23 am 70's horror films are a bit of an easy target!
I saw Alien! It released less than a year after Halloween.