Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: October 11th, 2019, 2:30 pm Also, what's the difference between composite cables and an RGB scart in terms of picture quality? Is it really worth picking one up? Sorry for the noob questions but I'm clueless with this stuff.
I don't think there is much of a difference between the composite cable (with the red and white connectors for audio and the yellow one for video) and the RGB scart. As far as I know, the latter simply converts the input into a different format but without actually changing its quality. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Well, Suits says otherwise. Guess I'm getting confused with all the different scarts, then... :?

The best option would probably be the component cable (with the same red and white connectors for audio but with three separate connectors for video: red, blue and green). That's what I use and the difference is noticeable. It won't put out anything even remotely resembling HD resolution but it's a significantly cleaner and sharper picture when compared with the default composite stuff.

That's the one you want, provided your TV is compatible with it:

The good news is that the PS3 and PS2 component cables are completely interchangeable which means they remain pretty affordable even now. I would suggest sticking with the official product if you can.

ThirdMan wrote: October 11th, 2019, 2:30 pm I think I'd like to put some sort of set-up together and revisit some old games.
Plenty of greatness to be experienced this way. Do it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Don’t forget, COMPONENT and COMPOSITE cables whilst still analogue and similar - are different.

Component generally carry YPbPr signal and Composite RGB.

Generally in the EU Composite cables are used, the US tend to prefer Component.

This can get pretty confusing but is kind of by the by in Europe as we generally adopted the SCART format and is clearer due to its splitting of the signal pre-TV.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 2:52 pm EDIT: Well, Suits says otherwise. Guess I'm getting confused with all the different scarts, then... :?
As far as I’m aware there’s only two types of SCART, Euro 21 pin and Jp21 pin - which are completely incompatible.

Also, whilst the jump in quality from Composite to SCART is clear, it’s not as big as RF to Composite.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: October 11th, 2019, 3:08 pm As far as I’m aware there’s only two types of SCART, Euro 21 pin and Jp21 pin - which are completely incompatible.
What's confusing to me is that I have a bunch of SCART blocks with only 8 pins. 5 on one side and 3 on the other. And they make virtually no difference compared to the composite cables you're meant to put in.

Anyway, I also have a few full SCART cable with 21 pins, and I remember them being only a minor improvement from the composite as well. Whereas the component cables I mentioned are by far the best option, with my setup at least...

:?
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 3:26 pm
Suits wrote: October 11th, 2019, 3:08 pm As far as I’m aware there’s only two types of SCART, Euro 21 pin and Jp21 pin - which are completely incompatible.
What's confusing to me is that I have a bunch of SCART blocks with only 8 pins. 5 on one side and 3 on the other. And they make virtually no difference compared to the composite cables you're meant to put in.

Anyway, I also have a few full SCART cable with 21 pins, and I remember them being only a minor improvement from the composite as well. Whereas the component cables I mentioned are by far the best option, with my setup at least...

:?
Everyone will have their own preference as to what they prefer to look at.

Although, generally, for most enthusiasts, SCART gives the cleanest image on a CRT. This is pretty much across the board on all examples I’ve seen and used myself.

There is also an element of the level of quality on the tube receiving the signal, as to how it is displayed and whether a difference can be perceived.

21 pin SCART connectors are just the number of pin housings connected.

I don’t know of anything that makes use of all the pins.

The 21 pins are split into things like audio right, audio left, audio mono etc... so it’s pretty odd to have all pins accounted for.

11 pins sounds completely normal based on sync choices and the consoles ability to output things like audio and visual signals.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: October 11th, 2019, 3:43 pm Everyone will have their own preference as to what they prefer to look at.
Obviously! :P

All I'm saying is that there might be some tangible quality differences between the various options, even though I'm not 100% sure as to what those might be, exactly.

1. I own a bunch of SCART adapter blocks with reduced pin counts that are just meant to convert composite signal and make very little difference, as far as I can tell:

2. I also own the RGB SCART cable for PS3/PS2, which is an improvement:

3. But the best solution (on my current HDTV, at least) are by far the component cables I posted earlier. I dunno what / if any CRTs support it, but I can vouch for their quality.
Suits

Post by Suits »

1 - Yeah, analogue signal. You want as little as possible connectors. Each connection will present an element of loss you see. Unlike digital.

Most Euro CRT’s came with SCART connections, not RCA Composite connections. That’s why a lot of consoles (PS2, GameCube spring to mind) came with SCART adapters. Which would allow you to plug your console in but any potential gain of using SCART would likely be lost due to the bridged connection of the adapter to the composite cable.

All my RGB consoles use direct SCART console cables for this reason.

2 - As above, direct console port to SCART will offer best, as little loss, as possible. Also, official cables normally have good shielding and quality cable.

3 - Great stuff. There’s loads of options out there for people to try out and to use.

My maths is awful, that should say 8 pin. 5+3. Not 8+3 😄.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Okay. Thanks for elaborating, mate. :)

So #1 is basically a phony solution. Not just in my head after all!

I think the reason you swear by direct SCART and I prefer component is probably because I haven't played on a CRT in a while. So if ThirdMan wants to keep using his CRT he should probably follow your advice. RGB SCART it is!

All I can say is that component is by far the best solution with the highest resolution for my PS2 on my HDTV and I can even try and get some footage if anybody is interested.

Suits wrote: October 11th, 2019, 4:25 pm My maths is awful, that should say 8 pin. 5+3. Not 8+3 😄.
Yeah I figured as much, but I had to edit it out when I noticed that the picture I posted actually looks like it has 11 pins. Which kinda undermines my point, really. :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 4:37 pm Okay. Thanks for elaborating, mate. :)
Always happy to talk signal and display options.

It can be a proper minefield that I’ve spent years navigating and working out, I’m still learning things - I love it.

Yeah, my advice, if you’re on a CRT, then use a console direct SCART connection.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm playing Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair. After not really enjoying the first game, I was sceptical about Playtonics ability to make a fun Donkey Kong Country style platformer but they have absolutely nailed it.

It's brilliant and it's only 25 quid! (Cheaper on some websites!)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So how's Snakebird treating you, Alex? :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 12th, 2019, 10:55 am So how's Snakebird treating you, Alex? :)

Oh yeah! I must admit I got sidetracked by The Room games and haven't got any further than stage 8 or 9 at the moment! Still installed though, I'll definitely go back to it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Going through a nice little run at the moment.

I’ve dipped back into Minecraft on the Switch, which is via Xbox Live, which was/is Pocket Edition, which is now merged with Bedrock Edition, which is the same as the Java version - I think.

Anyway, there appears to be enough new bits and pieces to carve out a decent adventure.

It’s one too so if anyone fancies jumping in and doing a bit, you’re all very welcome.

Then there’s Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door on the GameCube which is wonderful. I’m at the final part of chapter to in the woods which aesthetically looks incredible with its grey scale and vibrant rainbow colours dotted about.

Finally, last night I jumped into a bit of Splatoon 2 with Haze.

It’s maddening how far Nintendo are behind with their online multiplayer. I understand that it’s their afterthought but the fact you can’t even lobby up with friends and play a few rounds is mental.

It took about 15 minutes to get into a lobby with Haze after trying and failing only for all the games we played were against each other on opposite teams.

That said it was good fun and the motion controls still feel great to play with and satisfying to use.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Suits wrote: October 12th, 2019, 4:49 pm It took about 15 minutes to get into a lobby with Haze after trying and failing only for all the games we played were against each other on opposite teams.
That is the best :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: October 12th, 2019, 4:56 pm
Suits wrote: October 12th, 2019, 4:49 pm It took about 15 minutes to get into a lobby with Haze after trying and failing only for all the games we played were against each other on opposite teams.
That is the best :lol:
Proper boot in the dick it was 😄.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I am two hours deep in to my first ever 'proper' playthrough of A Link To The Past. I say 'proper' because I've played the prologue probably half a dozen times, but I'm playing with the aim to finish this time. It makes a big difference that I'm playing on a console it's been released for as opposed to emulating (yes, I know it's emulation. But it's a proper package. It's not me installing an emulator along with 500 games I'll play five minutes each of).

Aaaanyway...

So far it's brilliant! I've just done the first dungeon, and I'm loving it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've been suddenly finding myself getting back in to Monster Hunter: World these past few days. The recent release of the expansion wasn't enough to bring me back, despite giving it a shot. So I didn't pick that up, still playing the base game. But a friend picked up the game too, and that's what got me back in. I finally managed to beat the bit I was stuck on that was the cause of me quitting before. That, and the burnout of course. So having finally done that, it's refreshing to be un-stuck for the first time in like a year and a half. It's got me back in to that rhythm of just going for one more hunt over and over. Although only a certain extent. Today I discovered that the quest that I was stuck on turned out to be the last non-optional quest in the game. So I've got basically nothing to do now except grind for equipment enhancement with extremely low rate random drops. I guess I might keep doing that for a while, try to craft some gear I haven't already got. But otherwise it seems I'll have to pick up the DLC sooner rather than later if I want to carry on.
Suits wrote: October 12th, 2019, 4:49 pm

It’s maddening how far Nintendo are behind with their online multiplayer. I understand that it’s their afterthought but the fact you can’t even lobby up with friends and play a few rounds is mental.
You can do that, it's the League Battle mode. Or you can do Salmon Run with friends too.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: October 12th, 2019, 5:45 pm I am two hours deep in to my first ever 'proper' playthrough of A Link To The Past.
Link to the Past is next on my list after Link’s Awakening DX on 3DS, but progress has slowed to a crawl... Four dungeons in and it’s just dragging - the initial euphoria I had playing it, thinking I’d found a new favourite Zelda, has surprisingly quickly turned into feeling like I’ve been playing it forever!

Apart from being a bit dark in places, I enjoyed the Resident Evil 6 demo on Switch far more than its reputation led me to believe I would. It seems more CoD than the earlier games that I’m more familiar with, but it looks good, I didn’t notice any major performance issues, and most importantly, I enjoyed shooting stuff up in it!

I am loving Apple Arcade. I made another big post in the iOS and Android gaming thread on new stuff I’ve played, but I’ve also gone back and replayed most of Sayonara Wild Hearts to raise my level ranks, and replayed the beautiful, compact point-and-click Pilgrims for more story arcs. Less enthralled with the narrative block manipulation puzzler Where Cards Fall; the puzzles are fun but I’ve got no idea what the story is all about, and after a few hours of play I can’t be far from the end but I’ve had my fill of both. Not had my fill of Speed Demons and Bleak Sword - both still awesome! No plans to cancel my subscription yet.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Scrustle wrote: October 12th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Suits wrote: October 12th, 2019, 4:49 pm

You can do that, it's the League Battle mode. Or you can do Salmon Run with friends too.
Oh right, ok, nice one.

I saw that and did wonder, but wrongly mistook that as the sort of serious, or team ranked mode of the game.

Ok mate, nice one - I’ll pass this info on and get into it 😎.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Suits wrote: October 12th, 2019, 8:10 pm Oh right, ok, nice one.

I saw that and did wonder, but wrongly mistook that as the sort of serious, or team ranked mode of the game.

Ok mate, nice one - I’ll pass this info on and get into it 😎.
It's kind of semi-serious, or as serious as you want it to be. You play the same modes as in the Ranked playlist, and it gives you a score based on how successful you are that is based on your whole team's performance. Or between the two of you if you're only with one friend. That score is then used for matchmaking to put you up against other people around the same skill levels. All the modes actually do this in some form, it's just League surfaces it more than in Turf War, and there's a high score leaderboard at the end of every month for the top players. But if you're not bothered about score chasing, then it just works to keep matches balanced.