Videogame Deals

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogame Deals

Post by ratsoalbion » September 6th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Injustice 1 was PS+ at some point, just FYI.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » September 6th, 2019, 4:40 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 2:32 pm
Injustice 1 was PS+ at some point, just FYI.
And Game Pass at one point too. Worth €10 anyway great story mode (better than the sequel IMO)

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 12th, 2019, 12:24 pm

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen is EUR 11.99 on PSN, possibly the lowest it's been. XCOM2 (which is required) was a PS+ game so maybe worth looking into. The collected edition containing both is still EUR 89.99 :lol:

I'm conflicted myself, my PS+ runs out in November, so I'd have to play both before then, which is a big ask. Probably wait till next year's sale, or look it up on PC.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » October 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am

In this day and age a 'Videogame Deals' section is becoming less and less relevant, but a couple of standouts from the PSN sale that's on now:

The recent Man of Medan is 33% off (EUR 19.99 here) which is a big drop for a og-value-game and fairly quickly after release.

Gorogoa is 60% off, which looks like an historic low (EUR 5.99 here).

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » October 3rd, 2019, 10:35 am

Chopper wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am
In this day and age a 'Videogame Deals' section is becoming less and less relevant, but a couple of standouts from the PSN sale that's on now:

The recent Man of Medan is 33% off (EUR 19.99 here) which is a big drop for a og-value-game and fairly quickly after release.

Gorogoa is 60% off, which looks like an historic low (EUR 5.99 here).
As much as I thought it was very average for £15.99 in the UK Man Of Medan is worth it for a night in. You can play pass the pad with up to 5 people (I played that mode with 2)

clippa

Post by clippa » October 3rd, 2019, 10:40 am

Chopper wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am
In this day and age a 'Videogame Deals' section is becoming less and less relevant
Ha, yeah, everything's on sale nowadays.

I don't know if anyone else finds this but all these bundles and free games and subscription services don't interest me at all.
Maybe I learned my lesson quite early on, getting a bit over excited during my first couple of steam sales and watching my games list fill up with crap I was never gonna play.

My time and effort is worth more to me than money at this point.
I've absolutely no interest in paying a quid for a big sack of games I might play, or clogging up the pipe downloading some 20gb thing for nowt which I probably won't like anyway.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » October 3rd, 2019, 1:52 pm

clippa wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 10:40 am
I don't know if anyone else finds this but all these bundles and free games and subscription services don't interest me at all.
Maybe I learned my lesson quite early on, getting a bit over excited during my first couple of steam sales and watching my games list fill up with crap I was never gonna play.
I still have good intentions about playing them but free games go to the bottom of the pile for sure. I have played the Humble Bundle games I have claimed this year (or at least the headliner), and I even played three or four free games from the Humble Trove. But I am definitely leaning more towards the 'subs are bad (at least not for me)' side of things. I'm quite annoyed that I claimed all the Batman games off Epic last week as I will absolutely never play any of those. I usually am quite restrained with that type of thing.

PS+, which was a complete waste of money once I stopped playing multiplayer, is coming to an end for me next month, and that will be good. Unlike Alex, I think there have been brilliant games on there in the last 18 months, but I've already played the ones I wanted to. Humble is an opt-in and out type deal which is probably the way that suits me most (I've only subbed for two months out of six or seven so far), and I don't usually claim any free Epic stuff for the same reason as PS+.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 4th, 2019, 1:17 pm

I always claim the games even if I don't think I'll ever play them. I just like having a huge library to fall back on if I ever feel like something different. Loads of times I've browsed my PS4 'purchased' library looking for something to play and came across stuff I literally didn't know I had, which had been on PS+ at some point and I'd idely added to my collection. I've discovered a few gems that way.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » October 4th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 1:17 pm
I always claim the games even if I don't think I'll ever play them. I just like having a huge library to fall back on if I ever feel like something different. Loads of times I've browsed my PS4 'purchased' library looking for something to play and came across stuff I literally didn't know I had, which had been on PS+ at some point and I'd idely added to my collection. I've discovered a few gems that way.
I would say the bad thing about ps+ is that if you let it lapse or cancel it all the ps+ games are then unavailable to you which is obviously the opposite to GWG

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 4th, 2019, 3:07 pm

I thought that was true of 360 games but not Xbox One games..?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » October 4th, 2019, 3:49 pm

EUR 19.99 for God of War (2018) ... it's getting into that buyable/tryable range for me.

What is the post-hype verdict on this? It looks very pretty for sure.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » October 4th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Chopper wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 3:49 pm
EUR 19.99 for God of War (2018) ... it's getting into that buyable/tryable range for me.

I think it's worth playing if you know what you're in for.

It definitely belongs in the category of homogenized, presentation-first AAA games with neutered gameplay like Uncharted and Horizon, but I would argue it handles it better than most. It does some interesting things with its combat system that sets it apart from other games, despite not really holding up under scrutiny for most genre purists. It also has a great sense of locale and adventure plus an entertaining story centered around a sincere if rather predictable father-son dynamic. Excellent voice acting and cutscene direction, too.

It's not at all a proper character action game like its predecessors, but those don't seem to be your thing anyway. It does enough right in its presentation and bits of characterization that I think you might enjoy it. Fun, over-the-top yet shallow popcorn fare with top-shelf production values. At this price, I'd say go for it.

PS: Music is a straight downgrade, however.

PPS: I don't think I really need to point this out in this case, but the issues with the combat system only become more pronounced on higher difficulties. Normal probably offers the best possible overall experience.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » October 4th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Chopper wrote:

Worthy considering a ps now subscription for a month if you want to try it?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 4th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Chopper wrote:

It's brilliant. Really, absolutely brilliant game. Get it!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 4th, 2019, 8:24 pm

DomsBeard wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 2:34 pm
Alex79uk wrote:
I would say the bad thing about ps+ is that if you let it lapse or cancel it all the ps+ games are then unavailable to you which is obviously the opposite to GWG
Huh really? I always assumed if your Gold sub lapsed you lose access to the games. Is that not so?

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 4th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Chopper wrote:

Total boring bag of bullshit bollocks. Nice graphics.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 4th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 8:24 pm
DomsBeard wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 2:34 pm
Alex79uk wrote:
Huh really? I always assumed if your Gold sub lapsed you lose access to the games. Is that not so?
It used to be that you kept 360 games but not Xbox One games. Not sure if this has changed.

My opinion of GoW sits somewhere between Alex’s and Stanshall’s, FWIW (closer to Alex’s but more of a 7-8 out of 10 for me).

Chopper

Post by Chopper » October 5th, 2019, 7:43 am

Thanks very much for all the responses!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » October 7th, 2019, 4:20 pm

This month's Humble Bundle has both Spyro and Crash, plus a Call of Duty. I'm grabbing those trilogy packs!

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly?hmb_source=navbar

macstat

Post by macstat » October 16th, 2019, 5:21 pm

oof Spyro is in a sorry state. My game crashes everytime i try to enter first level ..... i googled a bit and saw a lot of complains about state of this port (unfortunately no resolution for my issue).