Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Chopper »

Interesting! I'm not really one for reading vast amounts of text in games, but from the screenshots I've seen, this one might be worth it. At any rate, I'm up against my budget for game-buying this year once I get Obra Dinn on PS4 so I will wait till the new year. Thanks for the impressions.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The titular Impossible Lair in the new Yooka Laylee game is frustrating. It's a 30 minute test of skill, with 4 boss fights and once you've feel like you're done, it throws an intense 2 minute escape scene at you.

It's a great game but this skidmark really stains the nice clean boxers
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I thought the whole point was it's almost impossible? I heard only a couple of the devs even managed it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I just played the first 90 minutes of Until Dawn. It seems OK, but so far has relied 100% on jump scares, which is disappointing. Unsure of whether I'll carry on with it yet or not.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Does anyone know if its possible to try the month of Apple Arcade for free without entering payment information?

My girlfriend has had a new phone and we've set her old iPhone up as a new phone without a SIM or any payment information just for the kids to play free games on. I really want to access the free month of Arcade to play a couple of games (mainly Sayonara and Neocab) but don't want to put my card details in. If I try to get the free month it keeps saying I need to put in payment info even for the free month. Just wondered if anyone had a scheme to get around that?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've put eight hours in to A Link To The Past now. It's amazing. Enjoying it even more than Super Metroid. I've had to look at a guide twice, and I'm furious with myself. Once because I forgot the only way to kill a particular enemy was by arrow, and another because I hadn't noticed a lever to release some water. I'd been wandering around for ages stuck on both occasions, so I'm glad I'm not still doing that, but at the same time both times I looked something up was my own fault. Gah. Incredible game, though.

EDIT: Four posts in a row... :oops: Sorry!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

BANNED 😉
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Gearing up for my hols so got a few handheld games:

Overwatch - Doesn't run as well as Paladins but at least I'll be able to get a game. Enjoying it, I know nothing about it really despite owning it on PS4 and XB.

Witcher 3 - Docked, this looks like an impressionist version of everyone's favourite impressionist open world. Handheld, it looks better because of the small screen. It's a colossal achievement even if the visuals are largely cues for your imagination to fill in the blanks.

Obra Dinn - made me feel sick on the telly, looks better in handheld. Seems extremely boring so far.

Fortnite - I redownloaded this to check out the new chapter and got my first ever Victory Royale first game. I read something about matchmaking based on skill these days so they must think I'm infant tier, based on the other players. Maybe they were bots.

Bring on the hols!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Playing Obra Dinn on the XBO, very much my kind of game but I can see why it’s not going to be for everyone.

Lot of thinking, not a lot of doing.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

clippa wrote: October 20th, 2019, 2:21 pm There's loads to do at butlins nowadays, you won't have to bring your switch.

I'm remembering when we got a cheap two for one caravan deal and my mates family came with us to haggerston castle for a long weekend and we lugged the fucking amiga up there :lol:
That is real commitment, I once went to Presthaven Sands and I remember me and my bros were absolutely jonesing to get home to play Sensi. Eventually, the old man took us to the arcades at Rhyl. Managed to make 50p last an afternoon or something, choosing very wisely and watching the attract mode about 500 times per cab. Glorious. Think I spent it all on TMNT:Arcade, to be honest.

I'm actually going away fishing with my wife's dad and his mates so I'll basically be playing with headphones in bed shit faced. I'll defo get some great action shots.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Just last night completed King's Field and the Ancient City on PS2. Haven't played earlier entries but it's amazing how much of the souls DNA was already there in 2002, even without Myazaki's involvement. Fascinating to me that From (and Myazaki) received so much praise for bucking current game design trends with demon's souls in 2009 when actually it was very much in line with their previous work.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: October 20th, 2019, 2:21 pm haggerston castle
Ha, I did my work experience there :D if you fell on any badly laid paving slabs leading to your caravan or saw any poorly nourished animals in the farm bit I was probably responsible
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

BaileyBoy wrote: October 21st, 2019, 8:29 am Fascinating to me that From (and Myazaki) received so much praise for bucking current game design trends with demon's souls in 2009 when actually it was very much in line with their previous work.
Well, to be fair, we'd had three years of Wii mania at that point, and the big game of 2009 was Uncharted 2, so you could see where they were coming from to some extent.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Chopper wrote: October 21st, 2019, 9:31 am
BaileyBoy wrote: October 21st, 2019, 8:29 am Fascinating to me that From (and Myazaki) received so much praise for bucking current game design trends with demon's souls in 2009 when actually it was very much in line with their previous work.
Well, to be fair, we'd had three years of Wii mania at that point, and the big game of 2009 was Uncharted 2, so you could see where they were coming from to some extent.
Oh totally, I was right there with them too at the time. It's just interesting the extent to which time and place can influence a game's reception. King's field 4, by comparison was fairly unpopular with critics at the time for many of the same reasons that Demon's/Dark souls was praised- Slow pace, little direction, sparse story, unexplained mechanics, difficulty level etc.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ah yes, I'm just being pedantic really, I take your larger point!

What was the King's Field you finished last night like? Pretty good or no?
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

I enjoyed it a lot. It's not a perfect game by any means, controls are a little unintuitive and it lacks a little overall polish. The world and level design however are brilliant. It's structured very similarly to a souls game, expansive, very solid feeling 3d environments with lots of verticality with the trademark From soft shortcuts linking areas. Gameplay is very slow and methodical but satisfying. Combat is tactical, there's loads of variety in equipment and skills and has some nice puzzles/riddles to break things up.
Imagine a 1st person souls game with elements of early dungeon crawlers (eye if the beholder style) and you're pretty much there. If that sounds good to anyone, or for fans of From Software's games in general, if you have access to a PS2, I'd highly recommend it.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Starting Luigi's Mansion tonight! Took me long enough to get to it! Borrowed a Gamecube copy off of my friend. Looking forward to it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

duskvstweak wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 1:22 am Starting Luigi's Mansion tonight! Took me long enough to get to it! Borrowed a Gamecube copy off of my friend. Looking forward to it.
Rad game.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

As it's leaving Game Pass at the end of October, I decided to give Thief of Thieves a go last night.
It seems to be about the worlds sassiest, slowest and and most unreliable thief. Sure she can pick a lock in seconds but fails to notice the bodyguard on the balcony returning into the office where she shouldn't be because she she is too busy recanting the story to her expert thief mentor.

I suspect I'm missing something - the art style is gorgeous but the fixed camera viewpoint is particularly infuriating. It can't seem to decide if it want to be the thievery version of Hitman, or a point and click adventure.

I will try it again at some point (soon!) but that lovely art seems to have hidden the actual gameplay
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Finally finished Link’s Awakening DX on 3DS. I absolutely loved the first third of the game, but after that it slowly turned into a slog, and by the last third I was just playing it to finish it. That said, the last dungeon had its moments, and there was a tinge of sadness when I realised I was in places for the last time, and I enjoyed the variety of the final boss. But overall I’m glad I paid £3 for it on 3DS and not whatever the Switch version cost!

What hasn’t been a slog is my Resident Evil 2 Remake 2nd Story experience. It was great discovering the police station again, but as I’ve just found the way out, there’s now a definite sense of trepidation about what’s next! Brilliant stuff so far though.

Apple Arcade continues to blow me away, and is a godsend since my son’s two hour, three times a week football training has gone behind closed doors! Still playing Bleak Sword and Speed Demons - both still in my top ten games of the year - and finished the beautifully dark point-and-click Mutazione, plus the brilliantly bonkers What the Golf. Trial over tomorrow and I’ve played so much good stuff, and still have so much I want to play, that it’s way too cheap not to keep paying for it.