Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

I had a look at getting a Gamepass trial just to use on my old 360 to play some older games I missed out on, but it turns out it's not available on 360. I realise it's a bit of a waste having it just to play the 360 games, but it's a shame the option isn't there for anyone who wants it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

So, my Xbox One won’t connect to my wireless network.

Previously, since I bought it, it’s been hard wired into my router - but, I’ve since moved the router and now my Xbox refuses to connect DNS’s with my Virgin Hub 3.

PS4, Switch, iPad’s, Mac’s iPhones, etc.... are all fine. Just the stupid Microsoft machine.

Virgin are just like, dunno, sorry it should be fine. My Router appears to be fine, the issue is just with my Xbox.

I could just go back to wired, but I’d have to move the router back and that’s just another story and is impossible now.

I really want to play The Outer Worlds on Friday.

I’m tamping fuming.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I know this is the lamest suggestion ever, but have you tried going into system settings / power and doing a complete shutdown?

This has worked for me in the past.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 8:48 pm I know this is the lamest suggestion ever, but have you tried going into system settings / power and doing a complete shutdown?

This has worked for me in the past.
Yeah man.

I even did it again once I started following the MS support and problem shooting guides.

I’ve spent two nights now trying to get this working.

I’m at a bit of a loss now really.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I seem to recall having had a similar issue a few years ago on my 360. What fixed it for me was to deactivate the automatic DNS recognition and input all the data manually instead. I think I had to go to my router configuration and manually open up one of the ports there too.

Sorry I can't be any more specific at this point. :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I had an issue connecting my Vita to the newest Virgin router. I remember having to change a setting on the router set up, but I'm afraid I don't remember what :cry: Possibly changing it from 5ghz to 2.4...?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, both of those suggestions are things I’ve already tried ☹️.

Firstly I made sure that my Xbox DNS settings matched my routers - they did. When this didn’t garish any progressed I tried changing it to other settings people had suggested online, nothing.

I’ve also changed the channels that my router was set it. Originally it was automatic, so instead I tried 2, then 10 and saw no improvement.

Then I looked at my frequency that my router was putting out.

I have a Hub 3, so it puts out both 5 & 2.4 ghz signals.

Meh, I’ll have another play about with it tomorrow.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Honestly, if anyone else has any ideas please mention them - I’m running out of things to try here.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

With my bt router by default it tries to work off one access port and it picks the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz signal automatically. But it hardly ever works properly like that, things keep flipping between the two and disconnecting. In its advanced settings I could configure it to effectively split the two into completely distinct wireless access points, with different names, so I could lock each device to the one it worked with best.

That only really affects my iPad and switch though, all my consoles are wired into the router direct.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Sounds like the virgin setup does allow you to do the same. Worth a shot.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Ne ... -p/3901137

(The 5Ghz signal is a bit faster and generally suffers less from interference, but has shorter range so you need to be nearer the router to get a stable on it. I think where mine is it’s just on the edge of where 5 keeps dropping out, so I have to make some things use the 2.5)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, top stuff mate.

I’ll try that tonight.

Sadly, the router/wireless point are still in the same room, so signal strength won’t be an issue but maybe it’s a signal type thing.

I’ll try only using 2.5.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 11:28 pm Sounds like the virgin setup does allow you to do the same. Worth a shot.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Ne ... -p/3901137

(The 5Ghz signal is a bit faster and generally suffers less from interference, but has shorter range so you need to be nearer the router to get a stable on it. I think where mine is it’s just on the edge of where 5 keeps dropping out, so I have to make some things use the 2.5)
Yes that's exactly what I did with my Virgin router. Two WiFi networks, one on 2.4 and one in 5ghz. They've got identical names except the last number. I'm sure that's how I got my Vita to connect in the end, it couldn't connect to 5 so had to force it to connect to the 2.4 only. I'd have thought the Xbox wouldn't have the same issue, but worth trying for sure.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sadly, nope, nothing suggested has worked.

I connected briefly with an Ethernet cable across the room in the hope that it do ‘something’ that fixes it all but no.

I’m now currently factory resetting my Virgin Media Hub and Xbox in the absolute hope it fixes it.

If not, I’m booting it down the garden.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Well it’s finally up and running 😄.

No idea what I did.

After one of the many reboots of the console and then left idle, it suddenly connected and is beautiful.

Jumped straight into Gamepass and have The Outer Wilds downloading.

As well as Oblivion to see if my old old save is on there 😄😄.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Woohoo!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

XO19 starts this evening with a presentation on the usual streaming places at 8pm GMT

Some of what’s likely to be announced has started to leak, ill spoiler what I’ve heard so far...
Spoiler: show
Looks like Halo Reach will be added to the Master Chief Collection this evening, if you’ve missed that one do give it a go, it’s probably my favourite after ODST.

Rage 2 might be coming to gamepass, and apparently there’s going to be new Obsidian and Rare games shown.

What there won’t be is anything about project Scarlett, so don’t go expecting any new Halo or Fable things (unless they’ve said that as misdirection of course)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I heard that Obsidian is supposedly revealing a new IP at this show, and there will be more news on Bleeding Edge as well. I assume the former will more likely be just a tease for something launching on the next gen, but it'll still be interesting to see what their first Microsoft-owned game will be.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Rumours are Halo Reach is launching later today.....
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

ThirdMan wrote: November 14th, 2019, 2:25 pm Are any of the Halo games standalone stories to a certain extent? I'd like to try one of the newer ones on Game Pass but don't know where to start? I'm sure Combat Evolved holds up very well but I've no interested in playing through them all.
The main numbered games do have a narrative through-line, but story had never been especially important for enjoying the games. I'd say 3 and 5 might be kind of confusing if you haven't played 2 or 4 respectively, so those might be ones to avoid starting with. Reach might be a good place to start, being a prequel. I would say that at least 1-3 should be a priority though. The newer games aren't as well regarded, especially 5. The campaign of 4 isn't bad though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I thought 5 was better than 4 myself, but yeah, ODST and Reach are the ones to play if you’ve not fussed about the through line.

More spoilers for later...
Spoiler: show
Witcher 3 on gamepass