Retro Game Challenge - This week: Wings (GBA)

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
hazeredmist

Retro Game Challenge - This week: Wings (GBA)

Post by hazeredmist »

Well then, this is as a result of Michiel K's interest - a direct copy of the weekly Retro Game Challenge me and some friends participate in. To participate in this you need to be fine with emulation unless you have the OG software, otherwise you can skip weeks for games you don't have. Or dip in whenever you feel like it! It's been going for a long time and is a lot of fun, I find it's good to have a retro game to focus on rather than being overwhelmed by choice and never playing anything. That's why I started this with my mates many moons ago (this is the 153rd game as I type this!)

Rules are simple:

- Each week a new game is picked by one of the group's participants. Genre can be anything. A challenge is set, which could be Top Score, completion challenges, fastest times, whatever it may be. Once the game is picked, I'll post it here so you can join in
- Parameters will be set, for example game difficulty or other settings, and participation is on an honour system basis. No save states to gain advantage or other cheating methods like rewind etc
- Sunday 9pm UK time is the deadline. Screenshots therefore must be submitted by 8.59:59pm. Anything from 9pm onwards is considered void (this is strict in our Whatsapp group, however on C&R I will be happy to have some leniency as long as it's in on Sunday :) )
- The best score here will be the C&R winner of the RGC. You must be in it to win it! I'll keep a tally of winners in this first post.

Subsequent posts will be the games, entries and any associated banter. If this sounds good to you, enjoy!

C&R Winners:

Truxton (MD) 3/11/19: Clippa
Mr Drilla (GBC) 10/11/19: Alex79uK
Sqoon (NES) 17/11/19: Clippa
T2: The Arcade Game (GG) 24/11/19: ColinAlonso
Klax (MS) 1/12/19: hazeredmist

This week: Wings (Game Boy Advance) Deadline Sunday 8th December.
hazeredmist

Re: Retro Game Challenge - A weekly competition thread

Post by hazeredmist »

This week's challenge:

Truxton on the Megadrive. Easy difficulty, top score. Deadline 9pm UK time on Sunday 3rd November.
Suits

Post by Suits »

***Dude, I’m sure you mean 3rd November 👍🏽.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

lol cheers, corrected :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'll give it a go, just downloaded the rom.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ok, so my first go - 93'810.

This game is fun. Not a great score, don't think I've even finished level one yet! I'll try again tomorrow whilst sober. It doesn't seem particularly difficult yet, I made stupid mistakes and literally steered in to the only enemy fire on screen for every single one of those lives lost just now!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yeah I got 79010, not had a proper go yet but the experience sounds very similar so far!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I'll fire this up on the ol' MD this weekend. OG Software is my middle name!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Alright, this is my current score entry. Might give it another SHOT tomorrow morning.

Like most Toaplan shooters, enemies fire early and their projectiles move fast. So you could to mistake it for an easygoing game, just because it doesn't overwhelm you with projectiles, but you get sniped quickly, out of nowhere.

I cleared the very long stage 1 (can recall pulling that off rather easily in the past), which even goes on after you've killed the boss, and stage 2 introduces enemies that come up flying from behind.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Right, I'm not going to get much other chance, so expect my final entry score within the hour!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^Excited to see it! I just had another go and made it further, but my score was below the one I put down here.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I put in a couple of hours yesterday evening whilst the kids were watching a movie, I found it a really fun game actually. Just got to stage 3. This is my final, and highest score so far. Not a fan of enemies creeping up behind you, and I lost most my lives (I'd got five ships by the time I reached it) on the stage 2 boss.

351'910

EDIT: Can I just add, that's the title screen loading. I'd not activated some sort of cheat for that many lives and powerups!! Only just noticed that haha.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Impressive, man! I find it a mean old game. I might give it a few more tries after seeing your score.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Most of it comes down to remembering where the enemies will fire, but once you have a couple of speed boosts your ship is so nippy and can dodge almost anything.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Or fly into stuff!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Very frustrating game this. Agree it’s all about remembering and the empty sections followed by snide bullets are a bastard if you aren’t fully tuned in!

Great scores here, I won’t be touching them I don’t think. A few more tries...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 12:30 pm 995,690
Fuck sake.

:lol:

You should submit that score, its over double the current record on High Score dot com.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Will next week's game be posted earlier than next Friday or is it a weekend thing? (Fine either way, just wondered).

EDIT: Actually, more than happy for the game to be posted on a Friday. Means we can't spend all week on it and it's much more of a race to get a decent score.

EDIT 2: You could edit the thread title each Friday with the date and game title also.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Good idea re the thread title! Game gets picked usually on the Sunday or Monday night but sometime later, I’ll just throw it on when I have it and I get a sec. appreciate you guys playing, hopefully it’ll be a nice bit of fun.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Think we can comfortably say clippa won this like :D