Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Shmups

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: November 1st, 2019, 4:12 pm I had to hedge my bets and have a go with everyone!
What an amazing coincidence, I did the exact same thing! :o

Trick
or
Treat,
sweetie.
Spoiler: show
luv u
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...That's it? This was a lot more fun when you were young and at least pretended to fight back a few months ago. :(

Anyway, game is great! It's surprising how little buzz it gets, honestly. Really nice bullet cancelling feature and at least 3 of the 4 characters have fantastic gamefeel. Caravan alone is worth the price of admission, I would say.

You might wanna grab it the next time it's on sale, Haze. ;)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 1st, 2019, 4:31 pm You might wanna grab it the next time it's on sale, Haze. ;)
Definitely! How are you on the same leaderboard? I want to play :(
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

THREAD IS ALIVE AGAIN!!!

What to play tonight... I need a bullet hell... Only caveat is I'll be tired from 60,000 hours of work this week and 45,000 hours of parenting, and drunk. What better way to play!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: November 1st, 2019, 4:42 pm I'd love to get passionate and yank my stick out and give you a good seeing to
Oh, I don't doubt it for a second. :roll:

hazeredmist wrote: November 1st, 2019, 4:46 pm How are you on the same leaderboard? I want to play :(
Just play Caravan mode and upload your score afterwards. You can sort the leaderboards to be friends-only later on. But keep in mind there are four separate ones for each character, as they all play rather differently from one another.

Really good game, honestly.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ah...ah. Gotcha.

I'm definitely OK about all of this

All of it

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

In other news I’ve bought Black Bird after all. What sold me in the end is you essentially have to 1cc it to finish it, and it’s a bit different to my other shmups. I shall try it soon :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Nobody's ever playing my games. :(

Anyway, I tried the main modes of BSIB and I have to say... I can see why the original release of this game was so poorly received: Normal mode is lame. Burst on the other hand is really good! It would probably be on the easy side of things for experienced players, but I'm having fun. The medal drop system adds a really nice optimization layer and the life bar makes it impossible to just bomb your way out of tricky situations. 2-3 deaths in quick succession and you're out, no matter what.

Burst and Caravan: top tier stuff. Not amazing-all-timer level of quality, but much better than the complete radio silence surrounding this game would lead you to believe.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Hey! Never mind your woes! Where were you when I was about to kick the chair away? It’s a good job I self sooth well... :D also are you playing Truxton?

I got into Blue Wish thanks to you, and I’ve got that Bullet Soul game on my wish list too - what else should I be playing? I’m all ears for recommendations... it’d be great to all be playing the same game again
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 4:56 pm Hey! Never mind your woes!
I'm joking! I just couldn't help but notice how quickly BWRP's four-and-a-half minutes of fame went by and how ruthlessly clippa laughed off my BSIB efforts! Two Clubber Lang gut punches in a row, right there! :lol:

No Truxton emulation for me at he moment, I'm afraid. Don't really have any other recommendations, I think we all have more than enough to play anyway. It's just a matter of focusing on one thing at a time, really!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Haha it’s all good :D

Nah don’t be thinking I’m done with BWRP (which I love btw), there was a big time gap between first playing Rolling Gunner and the last obsession, again it isn’t over I’ll go back. I do have a habit of spreading myself too thin at times with shmups but I find it’s best to go with it rather than force myself into hammering a game, the obsession game will come soon, I’m still in recovery from playing RG every night for ages like a demon trying to get the 1cc! Same with Deathsmiles, not touched that since spending a night with it etc, just how things go for me at times.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 7:39 pm Though it is starting to slightly worry me that a genuine seething hatred might be fuelling your motivation :lol:
I was joking, you silly goose! :lol:

I have no hatred whatsoever towards anybody. But I will admit that having friend's scores to compare mine to is a nice extra motivational factor. It's often difficult to know at first glance whether the top scoring players are on the same playing field as me (not to mention that some scores could very well be glitched if there's no video evidence), so it's nice to go back and forth with people that I know. Always feels a bit pointless pouring tons of effort into something nobody has ever heard of. The community aspect is part of my enjoyment of the genre, honestly.

Both Star Hunter and Dezatopia look a bit low-rent to me, sorry... :(

Might be a while until I can properly commit to a competition, anyway.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 8:58 pm It's only a matter of time before I get an anthrax cake through my letterbox!
:lol: That's quite the imagination you got there. I can only wonder what's fueling it. :lol:

clippa wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 8:58 pm I notice you're not daring to refute the indisputable fact that your games are in fact my games.
I would never! I am more than willing to bow down to your expertise. Makes it easier to read all these numbers near the bottom of the screen anyway.

clippa wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 8:58 pm What games are you looking forward to?
Spelunky 2, that's about it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 9:16 pm Do you really like spelunky?
No, not really. It as more of a double whammy / time paradox / Schrödinger's glass / dumb diss - type of thing because you said that the games I was looking forward to looked shit. ;)

I don't gel with procedural generation whatsoever, I'm afraid. I totally respect and even appreciate the work and effort that goes into creating something like Spelunky or BoI, but that design fundamentally rubs against my natural way of playing and enjoying games. The thrill of discovering new "content" doesn't mitigate the frustration of running into unpredictable traps or the emptiness of receiving some randomized junk after beating a difficult section.

I understand why others love it, but its not for me.

There isn't much I'm looking forward to, actually. Death Stranding is a must-buy and so is Metroid Prime 4 (whenever that comes out! :roll: ). I'll probably grab Shenmue 3 and Doom Eternal as well, although I might wait a while. I've kinda logged out of AAA hype cycle for the most part nowadays.

Ubusuna! There you go, I'll buy that one without hesitation. :)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

What about ESP.Ra.De? It's a kinda crap Cave game being ported to everything for the first time in December. I can't wait!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Good call! Completely forgot I had that pre-ordered already.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Psyvariar Delta is on sale on Switch
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

clippa wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 10:41 pm
Stanshall wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 9:43 pmbeing ported to everything
Not everything!
Yeesh. Sorry, that's probably the third time I've said that! Dunno why they didn't port it to PC, as well. Hopefully the Deathsmiles Collection and whatever future collections they come up with. Fingers crossed.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

hazeredmist wrote: November 4th, 2019, 6:01 pm Psyvariar Delta is on sale on Switch
I picked this up. First go last night, played through all 3 variants to feel it out, short and sweet - such a pure experience and immensely satisfying to play with the buzz system. No idea how to use the roll mechanic yet but I can sense me getting deep into this one. It’s not fucking around - no story, no anime stuff, just pure shooter. Something about the 2.5D presentation and general purity reminds me of Super Stardust Delta, not sure why they aren’t the same type of game.

One observation, changing the difficulty levels in options (starting from Very Easy) seems to have no impact on the game that I can see. Patterns and speed seem the same as Normal. Not overly concerned as it’s a game I can just kick back with and forget everything for a few minutes, and just let the skills build with time and repetition. Pleased to have this one in my library
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:25 am
hazeredmist wrote: November 4th, 2019, 6:01 pm Psyvariar Delta is on sale on Switch
I picked this up.
And still breathing, I see! I was worried there for a sec. ;)