Epic Games Store

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Epic Games Store

Post by Alex79 »

I wanted to ask a question about the Epic Games Store, and it didn't seem to have a thread dedicated to the service so thought it might be an idea to have one. Keep updated with the weekly free games, news, rumours of exclusives etc. If this is a bad idea feel free to merge back with Videogame News or whatever.

Anyway...

Does anyone else have issues with rogue log in attempts? Barely a week goes by without an email coming through telling me my 2 step verification code, which clearly means someone has been trying to log in on my account. I've also had password reset emails come through fairly frequently, when it wasn't me wanting to reset my password.

My Epic account has no payment information attached to it, so there's not a great deal anyone could do if they managed to take control of it, but all the same, I'm guessing that's not the case for most users.

Just wondered if anyone else had issues with this? In the 15 years I've been using Steam I don't remember this happening. Ever.
Flabyo

Re: Epic Games Store

Post by Flabyo »

It’s mainly credential stuffing attacks aimed at getting at people’s Fortnite accounts.

You’re likely using an email address on it that’s been in a leak at some point (that’s basically impossible to avoid now, everything seems to get leaked eventually)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’ve not experienced this.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

As Flabyo says, it's likely a leaked email account. You can check if your email's (and pwd for that date and time) been leaked by entering it here:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ (yes)

I received a very convincing phishing email last week that had an old password attached (ie look, we know your password, we've accessed your pc); I checked the above and it tuns out my email was in eight separate leaks, including a CD Projekt Red one from back in the Witcher 1 days.

It really is not a good idea to stick with the same password, especially those attached to the same email address.

I've had no issues with the EGS so far, and no spam attempts as you describe. There's a rumour that they are offering one, or maybe even all three of the Batman games next week, and possibly Lego Batman as well....
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Conarium is free this week - it won't win any prizes but it is decent:
Me wrote:Conarium (PC) has been getting a lot of love recently, so I thought I'd check it out. It's a narrative game based heavily on the work of Lovecraft, and follows an Antarctic expedition on a follow up mission to the team in Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. I didn't know anything about Lovecraft going in, apart from Dark Hams and whatever little I've picked up from random gaming chatter, but it's inspired me to do a bit of background reading.

It's pretty good! It also has a few minor problems, but as the work of a three-person team, it's a big achievement. It's only 3-4 hours long, and is from the walking simulator side of things (you can die, but only in a couple of chase sequences).

So, cut-off Antarctic base, crew have disappeared, potential Elder God involvement; if that's your thing then it is worth checking out.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Credential stuffing works like this:

You find a list of leaked email addresses with passwords. There’s loads out there.

You fire them all at the site you’re interested in, hoping that the combinations you have will let you in to a few of those accounts.

Epic are, for reasons you’re probably aware of, somewhat under fire from some more vocal elements of the Steam audience, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s why there’s a large volume of it right now. It’s a low grade way of doing a DDoS as well.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There’s a 30,000+ strong and active Fuck Epic reddit. A lot of actual non-bot people really are that sad.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I quite like the Epic Games Store! I've been able to play Celeste, Inside and The End Is Nigh for free so far. What's not to like?

I've never really understood the vitriol against them to be honest. Would people rather Valve are forever unchallenged and do what they like with the launcher / PC game store market forever? It's a PC, you're just launching a different app to access your game! Who cares.

(a lot of people, seemingly)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

People are just bizarrely tribal. The EGS is knocking it out of the park with its freebies.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I don’t use my Mac much for gaming, other than emulation, but have built up a great collection thanks to the EGS. That said, I don’t have a PC and it’s given me an even bigger collection on there!

You get similar naysayers in many walks of life, but they’re all equally easy to ignore and left to wallow in their self-inflicted misery.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Don't forget how much everyone hated Steam when it first came out, too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

SIX Batman games currently free. Three Arkhams and three LEGO stylee.
RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 19th, 2019, 6:19 pm SIX Batman games currently free. Three Arkhams and three LEGO stylee.
If they keep giving me stuff like this they can do whatever they want!! :D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Interesting first post! ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hmmm.

Valvebot?