Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

:lol:

That means a lot, Ksub :P
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Has anyone else played this "Psyvariar"? :o

Last night I went through some old pages on this thread (wasn't it lovely back then? We were so innocent. We talked about games) and watched a vid Stanshall posted of "max buzz" through Stage 1 and I was so impressed, so I set about replicating that. I wanted a fully pacifist buzz-filled run. I managed to get through the whole stage clipping lots and lots of bullets and I didn't kill a single enemy (after many tries, also it looked nothing like Stan's vid obviously!). The thing I like about this game is how the buzz system forces me to change how I play these games, seeking bullets out and letting enemies live, it turns the tactics upside down. Obviously there's a sweet spot of killing enemies and getting buzz, but yeah. It's absolutely thrilling edge of the seat stuff. I've just come in after a go in the car before work and am still on a high, got through the first 2 stages not getting hit but shitloads of LEVEL UP and buzz, didn't lose a life until the Stage 3 boss.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Here's Stan's video https://youtu.be/Pf7vdPMNZdQ

The big thing Stan is doing that I haven't sussed yet is using the brief invincibility of LEVEL UP to go through otherwise inescapable bullet situations. That's what I want to get to.

Clippa - 3 hours and a 1cc on this! Truly inhuman you are. Exceed I will definitely get to - it's in my weird long queue of shmups I own which Psyvariar has bunny hopped over. Also I fancy trying this arcade port of Truxton, think I've got it on MAME...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Aye, ring the dentist. Actually do it though. I also hate the dentist tbh, can’t stand it. I get shaky in that chair every time I have a checkup with fear of work needing to be done. But if you put it off, things get worse, and the work needed gets worse. Call em.

I’m really excited to play Black Bird! That’s my little treat for when I next need it, I love that it’s in reserve. Tonight we watched some Queen performances so no gaming for me, I’m satiated. Tomorrow: more Psyvariar in my limited downtime.

Call the fucking dentist mate. Report back that you did.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Freddie and the gang! I’m a little bit in love with our fallen soul Mr Mercury. Alongside my super elite underground drum & bass dubplates, he rests above my desk:

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Also thanks for playing Psyvariar with me!

It’s nice when others try games you talk about as well as playing their suggestions a bit give & take eh ksub ;) :D

Where is Stanshall? I thought he’d be all excited.

CALL THE DENTIST CLIPPA. They’re open now
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I am very excited and pleased to see some Psyvariar chat, just back to work and a load of issues I had put on hold have been eagerly taken on and buggered up in my absence, so I feel about a bit month behind now. In China, these people would be simply marched to a local football stadium and shot in the back of the head at point blank range, for what it's worth. Obviously I can't agree with that practice. I did play five minutes of Futari last night to unwind after a sixteen hour day and immediately wanted to hurl the stick through the telly. I need a good hour to get stuck in properly after a decent night's kip.

As an aside, I'd be WELL UP for some lil Psyvariar compo to get me back into that one. Such a wild game when you just go for it and live for the i-frames.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It doesn't seem prescriptive or rigid to me. I couldn't imagine trying copy a route or anything in this, it's constant moment to moment decisions and playing by the seat of your pants. Mega risk decent reward. You don't need to engage with the grazing at all if you don't want to, though. You can play it like any other shmup, it's just less exciting that way and you won't level up quite as much nor score as highly. Choose the normal ship and give Medium or Revision mode a go. They seem to have the most players.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

But you are doing it to level up and increase your shot power which matters a lot in later stages and with the bosses. You can route any shmup I imagine but I'm saying this isn't a strict one, you're constantly jumping from one spray to the next and it's quite frantic. If you don't enjoy it, that's absolutely fair enough. I like Black Bird but I know you get a lot more out of it, and its systems.

I'd go pointy ship (something-R), Revision levels and whatever music you like. Pointy ship allows you to graze the bullets more than once and maybe has better i-frames. I think the round ship is boring as fuck. If you don't enjoy the level up voice every few days seconds and diving headfirst into a load of bullets and then diving out for a breather just in time, there's not an awful lot more to the game.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Aye I’ve played it a few more times but have been preoccupied with Mr Driller somewhat!

I agree with clippa - I feel like this game is focussed on the grazing massively to the point where if you play it as a “normal” shmup you will feel like you’re ripping yourself off a bit. If you aren’t into the grazing mechanic I definitely wouldn’t recommend it. However that’s exactly what I like about it. If I didn’t like that, I think I’d bounce off it really hard, as Stan says there really isn’t much else to it. It’s such a pure game with no frills. And honestly that’s why I like it so much. It’s almost got a fuck you attitude to it. It shows you nothing other than what it wants you to see and enjoy.

I really like it and will aim for a 1cc in time.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

^ I will definitely grab this when it comes to Switch!

Not played a shmup properly in a bit apart from Sqoon (which is excellent fun). Hooked on Steins;Gate 0 after hitting a plot point that drilled into my brain, and I need to finish it. Shmups will return, soon.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

hazeredmist wrote: November 15th, 2019, 11:42 am ^ I will definitely grab this when it comes to Switch!

Not played a shmup properly in a bit apart from Sqoon (which is excellent fun). Hooked on Steins;Gate 0 after hitting a plot point that drilled into my brain, and I need to finish it. Shmups will return, soon.
I need to start Steins Gate again. I got about ten hours in before dropping it. I hoped it was on mobile, but it looks like it's Japanese only (although purchasable from the EU Play store, which is odd).
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: November 15th, 2019, 1:29 pm
hazeredmist wrote: November 15th, 2019, 11:42 am ^ I will definitely grab this when it comes to Switch!

I need to start Steins Gate again. I got about ten hours in before dropping it. I hoped it was on mobile, but it looks like it's Japanese only (although purchasable from the EU Play store, which is odd).
10 hours in! Did you hit:
Spoiler: show
the twist? I won't say what just in case
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

hazeredmist wrote: November 15th, 2019, 2:55 pm
Alex79uk wrote: November 15th, 2019, 1:29 pm

10 hours in! Did you hit:
Spoiler: show
the twist? I won't say what just in case
Yes - although unfortunately I already knew what the game was about.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sweet. That makes my full chain of stage one even better. Funnily enough, I thought this was easier via FBA than on the 360. It's also easier to learn it with save states and stuff. Maybe it is time to replace Ol' Melty with a decent comp.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Whatever makes us look better, let's just say that's what it is. And yeah, I agree. Even with the Switch ports of Gunbird and Zero Gunner, they're perfectly good fun even if the input lag and stuff is technically bad. The devs even added a - to Zero Gunner's title to acknowledge how shit it is or something, which is kind of amusing.

I guess if you're planning on playing competitively etc you do need it to be as accurate as possible, though.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I'm still around, posting a little less (I have muchos going on in life right now) but no exit strategy. And yes I will be buying Mushihimesama!I had been waiting for this to go on sale after Stanshall recommended it.

Do I need the version with 1.5 and the OST? Extra couple of quid...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: November 27th, 2019, 9:59 am Do I need the version with 1.5 and the OST?
Yes.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 27th, 2019, 10:04 am
hazeredmist wrote: November 27th, 2019, 9:59 am Do I need the version with 1.5 and the OST?
Yes.
Thanks mate. Purchased the "Matsuri" pack. The holy trinity of Cave Steam shmups in my library now with Mushi, DFK and Deathsmiles!

...and yet another shmup on the pile of shame :lol: credit to clippa for alerting me to this of course.

You been playing much lately Ksub?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: November 27th, 2019, 10:11 am You been playing much lately Ksub?
Not really, haven't had the time to. A few minutes here and there, but nothing serious. Just enough Spelunky to conclude the game is about as frustrating and unwelcoming as I remembered.

Btw, I highly object to Deathsmiles being counted as part of the Holy Trinity of anything! :P
They really need to get Ketsui on Steam as soon as possible. I forgot, do you have a PS4 to play it on, by any chance?