Games Completed 2019

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
mikeleddy83

Re: Games Completed 2019

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Spoiler: show
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Resident Evil 2
God of War
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Prey
Persona 5
Tetris Effect
Journey
Red Dead Redemption 2
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Mega Man 11
Metal Gear: Survive
Undertale
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Dante's Inferno
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Metal Slug X
Inside
Phantasy Star
Doki Doki Literature Club
Captain Commando
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Final Fight
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Knights of the Round
The King of Dragons
Warriors of Fate
Armored Warriors
Devil May Cry 5
Crash Bandicoot
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
MAR - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)
MAY - Söldner-X 2 (PS Vita)
MAY - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
MAY - The Punisher (Arcade on PS Vita)
JUN - Super Mario Bros. (NES on Switch)
JUN - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS4)
JUL - Windjammers (Arcade Mode) (PS Vita)
JUL - Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
JUL - Super Mario Odyssey: Credits Roll (Switch)
AUG - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch) SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2: The Majima Saga (PS4)
SEP - Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS4)
SEP - Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
SEP - Super Metroid (SNES on Switch)
SEP - The Room (Android)
OCT - The Room 2 (Android)
OCT - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)
NOV - The Room 3 (Android)

Just another superb effort from Fireproof Games here. I'm glad to hear they dial back the travelling from one room to another in the next game as it was a little laborious by the end, but can't complain really when the overall quality of the game is so high. Has anyone made better similar games? I've seen the DaVinci game on the Appstore and wondered if it's worth playing, but I'll be going straight on to the fourth Room game first.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I don’t think anyone else has quite captured the same tactile puzzle feel of the Room games.

The fourth one is definitely my favourite one.

(Did you see all the endings in the third one?)
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 2 - War for the Overworld (PC)
Jan 13 - Pyre (PC)
Jan 16 - Heroes of Hammerwatch (PC)
Jan 17 - Mega Man 11 (Switch)
Jan 20 - ReThink | Evolved (PC)
Jan 20 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
Jan 22 - Ruzar - The Life Stone (PC)
Jan 27 - After Death (PC)
Feb 6 - Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC)
Feb 21 - Loyalty and Blood: Viktor Origins (PC)

Feb 27 - Book of Demons (PC)
Mar 4 - Vaporum (PC)
Mar 5 - Frost (Switch)
Mar 9 - DarkMaus (PC)
Mar 10 - Octopath Traveler (Switch)
Mar 31 - Final Fantasy X (PC)
Apr 5 - Treasure Adventure World (PC)
Apr 15 - Greedy Guns (PC)
Apr 23 - ChromaGun (PC)
Apr 27 - The Quest (PC)

May 1 - Skautfold: Usurper (PC)
May 7 - Alwa's Awakening (PC)
May 9 - OneShot (PC)
May 13 - Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition (Switch)
May 27 - Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (PC)
May 29 - Styx: Shards of Darkness (PC)
Jun 5 - The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians (PC)
Jun 5 - Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom (Switch)
Jun 11 - Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
Jun 17 - LISA (PC)

Jun 18 - Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (PC)
Jun 24 - Halcyon 6 (PC)
Jun 29 - Fox n Forests (PC)
Jul 4 - Battle Princess Madelyn (Switch)
Jul 14 - Dustforce (PC)
Jul 26 - Ambition of the Slimes (Switch)
July 29 - Final Fantasy X-2 (PC)
July 31 - Epistory - Typing Chronicles (PC)
Aug 2 - Moonlighter (Switch)
Aug 6 - Seasons After Fall (PC)

Aug 10 - Bayonetta 2 (Switch)
Aug 12 - ReThink | Evolved 2 (PC)
Aug 21 - Shadows: Awakening (PC)
Aug 24 - Singularity (PC)
Aug 26 - Typoman (PC)
Sep 4 - Mercenaries Saga: Will of the White Lions (Switch)
Sep 4 - The Surge (PC)
Sep 6 - Rise & Shine (PC)
Sep 14 - The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
Sep 15 - -KLAUS- (PC)

Sep 22 - MagiCat (Switch)
Oct 3 - Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PC)
Oct 9 - Serious Sam 2 (PC)
Oct 22 - Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch)
Oct 25 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
Oct 26 - Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (Switch)
Oct 28 - Full Bore (Steam)
Oct 31 - Anodyne (Switch)
Nov 1 - Ticket to Earth (Steam)

An almost match-3 RPG. You and the enemies are placed on a grid with four different symbols scattered around, much like a match-3 setup. You move your character around, picking up the same symbol to power up your base attack as well as the special ability you have equipped to that specific symbol. Getting hit by the enemy will lower your base attack by that amount. It's a decent system but gets very samey. The grid shape doesn't change the entire game and the symbols are just as random as ever. Well, they aren't completely random as there are patterns in regards to how they appear to not completely screw with your movement.

It would be fine but it just goes on for too long. It's a good 20-25 hours long and the mechanics of the game didn't change beyond hour 5 or so. For a story of coincidences, I originally finished this game a month earlier notice only the first three of four episodes were out when this game was released two years ago. A week later is when the fourth episode was finished.

Nov 7 - The House of Da Vinci (Steam)

Speaking of a coincidence with Alex's comment, here's this one. Escape the Room type game. The mouse controls aren't the greatest. There were plenty of times I was doing a clockwise motion (or any other) only for the object I was turning to suddenly go the other way for no reason. I'd say nearly all the puzzles in the game are fairly easy. The hardest thing is finding where the puzzles are as there are some in locations where it isn't obvious to click at that bit. At least the in-game hint system can be used to easily find those. Overall, I just found it kinda boring.

I haven't played the Room games so can't compare there. I've only played some of the older Escape the Room Flash games prior to this one.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: November 10th, 2019, 8:17 pm (Did you see all the endings in the third one?)
I must admit, two I got legit, and two I watched on YouTube. The first ending I got by accident because I was curious about what had just appeared, clicked on it and ended the game!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finished Luigi's Mansion 3 and I genuinely loved all 13 hours of it.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

11-11 - God of War (PS2)

The boy KSubzero1000 came through all the way from Deutschland last weekend and aside from the other stuff we played, he was happy to participate in a controller passing session on the last third of this game.

I remember the hype very well when this originally came out and I thought it looked very appealing for a PS2 game, thinking if I would have had that system at the time, I would have bought it.

Later when I got a PS2, I had cooled on the game quite a bit, having seen more of it, thinking of it than not much more than a flashy looking, cinematic mash fest. But a friend gifted me his copy not too long ago and since another friend of mine urged me to play PS4 God of War, I felt it was time for a (mainline/numbered) series playthrough.

So, the first PS2 God of War, then? I need some time to collect my thoughts a bit better, but I found it a mildly enjoyable romp, that is indeed slickly produced, but rough around the edges in terms of its pure game design and mechanics. It has very annoying bits in it, the combat doesn't feel sharp and lacks depth (though it's very much ahead of most 3D melee action games by Western developers that came before it) and it feels a bit like a random hodge podge of puzzles, platforming and fighting at times.

The visuals and music are great, of course and it features some impressive directed, uncontrollable camera work that's evocative and expressive. I think this is where the seeds of the flagship linear, directed cinematic action games on Sony platforms were sown. All in all happy that I've played it and that I've crossed it off the backlog. Now, on to God of War 2!
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Michiel K wrote: November 12th, 2019, 7:36 pm 11-11 - God of War (PS2)

The boy KSubzero1000 came through all the way from Deutschland last weekend and aside from the other stuff we played, he was happy to participate in a controller passing session on the last third of this game.

I remember the hype very well when this originally came out and I thought it looked very appealing for a PS2 game, thinking if I would have had that system at the time, I would have bought it.

Later when I got a PS2, I had cooled on the game quite a bit, having seen more of it, thinking of it than not much more than a flashy looking, cinematic mash fest. But a friend gifted me his copy not too long ago and since another friend of mine urged me to play PS4 God of War, I felt it was time for a (mainline/numbered) series playthrough.

So, the first PS2 God of War, then? I need some time to collect my thoughts a bit better, but I found it a mildly enjoyable romp, that is indeed slickly produced, but rough around the edges in terms of its pure game design and mechanics. It has very annoying bits in it, the combat doesn't feel sharp and lacks depth (though it's very much ahead of most 3D melee action games by Western developers that came before it) and it feels a bit like a random hodge podge of puzzles, platforming and fighting at times.

The visuals and music are great, of course and it features some impressive directed, uncontrollable camera work that's evocative and expressive. I think this is where the seeds of the flagship linear, directed cinematic action games on Sony platforms were sown. All in all happy that I've played it and that I've crossed it off the backlog. Now, on to God of War 2!
I finished it myself a couple of months back, though it was a replay for me having completed it back on release. I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it Vs the recent reboot which I felt had major design issues.
The combat could be sharper but it's terrific fun and I think it's puzzles and platforming sections were far more competently built and better integrated into the flow of the gameplay than other character action games of it's era which attempted a similar mix, DMC for example.
Certain parts do grate like the extended climbing sequences and the over abundance of QTEs but I remember them feeling novel at the time.
I agree with you about seeing the origins of Sony's current focus in terms of it's single player games design and I think this game is actually the sweet spot for me. Brilliantly directed and wonderfully cinematic but still very much gameplay first.
Many of their recent efforts have leaned a little too far in the other direction for me, I'd love to see their teams put their incredible talents to something this 'gamey' again.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I still prefer the first GoW game to the second, although given the choice right now I'd sooner play the 2018 reboot.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

15/02 - Resident Evil 2 (PS4)
17/02 - Final Fantasy VIII (PS Vita)
18/02 - FAR: Lone Sails (PC)
14/04 - Final Fantasy IX (PS Vita)
28/04 - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (PC)
09/05 - Devil May Cry 5 (PC)
11/05 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC)
26/05 - Observation (PC)
04/06 - Katana Zero (Switch)
29/06 - Dino Crisis (PS3)
13/07 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)
31/07 - Outer Wilds (PC)
08/08 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
13/08 - DOOM II: Hell on Earth (PC - BFG Edition version)
14/08 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Edelgard's campaign (Switch)
07/09 - The Evil Within 2 (PC)
21/09 - Control (PC)
21/09 - Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
23/09 - Gears 5 (PC)
28/09 - Untitled Goose Game (Switch)
12/11 - The Outer Worlds (PC)

Great game, but not special in the way New Vegas was. Feels like a lot of compromises and cuts were made to get it out, but what's there is more interesting than 75% of Fallout 4.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

BaileyBoy wrote: November 12th, 2019, 10:46 pm I agree with you about seeing the origins of Sony's current focus in terms of it's single player games design and I think this game is actually the sweet spot for me. Brilliantly directed and wonderfully cinematic but still very much gameplay first.
Many of their recent efforts have leaned a little too far in the other direction for me, I'd love to see their teams put their incredible talents to something this 'gamey' again.
I think you're on to something there!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 13: Marvel Spiderman
Jan 26: Gravity Rush Remastered
Mar 18: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Mar 30: Thomas was Alone
May 4: Furi
May 5: Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
July 22: Gravity Rush 2
Nov 19: Yakuza 0

Wow, this game. After the crushing disappointment that was Gravity Rush 2 this game was just what I needed. I absolutely adored everything about this game. Gripping story, lovable characters, fun combat with many layers of depth, incredible soundtrack and a small but dense world. Honestly to go into depth about why I love this game is difficult to do because I don’t know where to start but I suppose I should preface that this is my first ever foray into the Yakuza series. If I knew that this was the type of stuff I was missing I would have checked this series out way earlier.

One of the things that I was most impressed with was how the game can go from balls to the wall action to gritty crime drama to melancholic and then descend to absolute goofiness. That you have to find out who framed you for murder one second and in another help a little girl win toy prizes at an arcade and not feel mood whiplash is a truly mind boggling accomplishment. The sheer daftness of the substories was something that had me grinning from ear to ear and genuinely laughing out loud multiple times. Kiryu being incredibly kind hearted yet intimidating and Majima’s suaveness and crazy fighting styles just made me love these characters instantly.

The sheer amount of things to do is truly incredible. I have spent countless hours being a real estate mogul, becoming the best cabaret club in town, singing karaoke, fishing, pocket car racing, dancing and playing arcade games. It is such a refreshing antidote to games that boast large worlds yet have nothing to do in them. I have not dedicated so much time to a game in so long and yet unlike certain other long games it never outstayed its welcome. Indeed I was a little bit sad when the game was finally over. But at least the final chapter was such an epic culmination of all the events that were going down that it definitely finished with a bang.

I have blathered for long enough but to conclude: this game is not only one of the very best that I have ever played but I will certainly check out the rest of the Yakuza games in due time. What an introduction to the series and I cannot wait to see what happens to Kiryu and Majima in future installments.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

25/01 - Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
31/01 - Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
01/02 - SOMA (Safe Mode)
09/02 - Shadow Warrior
18/02 - Mulaka
26/02 - NieR: Automata - 3C3C1D119440927 DLC
02/03 - Race Driver: GRID
04/03 - Bladed Fury
10/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter)
13/03 - AER: Memories of Old
17/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
20/03 - Devil May Cry 5 (Human)
05/04 - God of War III Remastered
12/04 - Devil May Cry 5 (Dante Must Die)
14/04 - Journey
15/04 - ABZU
22/04 - Journey
28/04 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition
30/04 - Dangerous Driving
02/05 - Final Fantasy XV - Episode Gladiolus/Episode Prompto/Episode Ignis
12/05 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition
21/05 - RiME
22/05 - Remember Me
20/06 - Bioshock
08/07 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2
11/07 - Bioshock 2
25/07 - Inside
05/08 - Bioshock Infinite
14/08 - Eastshade
23/08 - Judgment
11/09 - Astral Chain (Pt Standard)
13/09 - Jettomero: Hero of the Universe
15/09 - Assault Spy (Normal/Asaru)
19/09 - Prey (2006)
23/09 - Leaving Lyndow
24/09 - Assault Spy (Normal/Amelia)
04/10 - Need for Speed: Underground 2
23/10 - Astral Chain (Pt Ultimate)
29/10 - Lucah: Born of a Dream
14/11 - Control

Most of my feelings on it ended up being pretty similar to when I talked about it before here and here so there's not a huge amount to say that isn't repeating that. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Some of the things it was trying to do worked well, but others were more of an aggravation or undercooked.

The unnerving, uncanny supernatural feel to it was pretty cool, providing a good air of ominous intrigue to the experience, which is achieved through some fantastic presentation, art, and environment design. Although at times it can feel like it drags a bit, sticking to that one singular tone throughout pretty much the whole game, dwelling far too long on the question of "What does all this weird stuff mean!?" without making much progress at explaining things enough to feel like you have anything to chew on to keep those questions interesting. However this is somewhat fixed by the climax, as near the end there are finally some interesting answers that satisfyingly tie some things up, while also having some of the best gameplay and art set pieces of the whole game. Still quite a lot gets left unanswered, but this is the sort of thing where you don't want everything explained anyway. Helps keeps the mystery fresh.

Gameplay itself was kind of middling in the end. More than competent shooting mechanics mixed with some interesting ideas for powers to make things a bit more fresh. But where it feels like they didn't get anywhere near mining out the full potential of these systems. While having telekinetic levitating firefights was pretty fun, the gunplay didn't feel like it evolved a whole lot over the game. The powers you get are limited, pretty self explanatory, and don't meaningfully change as they are upgraded too. Also the way the controls are designed, it really discourages you from using the full variety of guns too. Making it so you can only have two equipped at a time, forcing you to pause the game and go in to the menu to swap either of those guns out for something else. I see no good reason for it either. They could have easily added in a radial menu to let you switch on the fly.

And speaking of control layout, this is one of those games obsessed with making you hold down a button to interact with everything for no reason at all. Always a bugbear of mine in games. Completely unnecessary and makes the UX feel slow and clunky. Oh also, the way the game handles all the collectable documents is pretty awful. Making you scroll through every single thing you've collected to find the thing you just picked up, where the cursor sits at the bottom of the on-screen list so that the icon showing that something is new can be disappear before you see it because you've scrolled on to that new thing already. This UI stuff is mostly nitpicks, but it's hard to forgive after a while.

But to end things on a more positive note again, the collectables themselves are pretty good. I liked reading about all the weird stuff in this world, and the FMV sequences in particular were pretty enjoyable. And the moments of levity that pop up every now and then to break up the usual mood of the game were appreciated. Made me chuckle a fair few times. And this game sure knows how to make some amazing and surreal architecture too. A lot of the best moments were just when I entered a new area and was just in awe of what I was seeing.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

17-11 - The Evil Within 2 (PC)

What did I think of it? Funny you should ask, I just recorded a whole podcast about it, coming out in a week!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Starlink :Battle for Atlas - PS4.
(Jan) Far Cry 5 - PS4.
(Jan) Resident Evil 2(2019) - PS4.
(Jan) Shadow of the Tomb Raider - XB1X.
(Feb) Metro Exodus - XB1X.
(Mar) Marvel's Spiderman - PS4.
(Apr) The Division 2 - XB1X.
(Apr) Dead Rising 3 - XB1X.
(Apr) World War Z - XB1X.
(Apr) Earthfall: Invasion - XB1X.
(May) RYSE: Son of Rome - XB1X.
(May) Tacoma - XB1X.
(May) Abzu - XB1X.
(May) Mortal Kombat X - XB1X.
(May) The Walking Dead:A New Frontier - XB1X.
(May) The Gardens Between - XB1X.
(June) Crackdown 3: Campaign -XB1X.
(June) Days Gone(platinum) - PS4.
(Aug) Wolfenstein: Youngblood - XB1X.
(Aug) Detroit: Become Human - PS4.
(Aug) Devil May Cry 5 - XB1X.
(Sept) Gears 5 - XB1X.
(Oct) Rage 2 - XB1X.
(Oct) Anthem - XB1X.
(Oct) Battlefield V - XB1X.
(Oct) Blair Witch - XB1X.
(Oct) Half Life 2 - Xbox 360.
(Nov) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - XB1X.
(Nov) The Outer Worlds - XB1X.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

God of war 2- PS2 20/11
Solid sequel which adds very little to the formula established by the original game but is more consistent overall.

Combat is almost identical to the original, with attempts to add weapon and moveset variety falling mostly flat. Enemy variety and encounter design is improved though, with less repetition.It's still good fun and fluid but doesn't give the likes of DMC or ninja gaiden much to worry about.

The much greater numbers of boss fights is appreciated but there are a number of "gimick" fights which can be a little annoying and one on one duels which highlight the slightly sloppy, imprecise nature of the combat- a shame as these are usually a highlight of this genre. The fight against the sisters on the final stretch is a highlight though.

What this game does do well, (maybe better than any game...ever?) is spectacle and scale with some truly jaw dropping environments and set pieces.
The opening sequence, a massive, multi-stage boss fight through a burning city under siege against a towering collosus, concludes with the player tearing it apart from the inside then bursting out of it's mouth as it crumbles to the ground. It's hugely impressive, massively silly, over the top fun and is exactly the kind of wonderful nonsense that was missing for me in the 2018 reboot.
I'd love for the inevitable sequel to bring back some more of what made the series stand out originally. As much as I liked "Sad Dad" Kratos, this version is just more fun.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

BaileyBoy wrote: November 20th, 2019, 11:10 pm As much as I liked "Sad Dad" Kratos, this version is just more fun.
BaileyBoy speaking my language here.

I absolutely adore old-school GoW, and GoW2 is easily the best of the bunch for me. Without the few design failures of the original or the hit-and-miss elements of the third one, it's an amazing ride from start to finish. So many incredible moments and set pieces.

One thing I'll say though, if you enjoyed GoW2 and want more of the same (apart from GoW3, of course), maybe consider giving the PSP games a shot on the God of War Collection – Volume II on PS3. Ghost of Sparta in particular is a brilliant game that seems to fall under a lot of people's radars these days. Wholeheartedly recommended.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Going to be sinking my teeth into God of War 2 real soon, so very interesting to read your take on the game, Bailey.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:10 pmJAN - Super Mario Land (Nintendo Gameboy)
JAN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Megadrive on PS4)
FEB - Professor Layton & The Curious Village (Android)
FEB - Donkey Kong '94 (Nintendo Gameboy)
FEB - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
FEB - Chuchel (Android)
FEB - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
MAR - Spider-Man (PS4)
MAR - Florence (Android)
MAR - Where On Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego (Browser)
MAR - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
MAR - Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)
MAY - Söldner-X 2 (PS Vita)
MAY - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
MAY - The Punisher (Arcade on PS Vita)
JUN - Super Mario Bros. (NES on Switch)
JUN - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS4)
JUL - Windjammers (Arcade Mode) (PS Vita)
JUL - Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
JUL - Super Mario Odyssey: Credits Roll (Switch)
AUG - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch) SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
SEP - Yakuza Kiwami 2: The Majima Saga (PS4)
SEP - Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS4)
SEP - Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
SEP - Super Metroid (SNES on Switch)
SEP - The Room (Android)
OCT - The Room 2 (Android)
OCT - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)
NOV - The Room 3 (Android)
NOV - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES on Switch)

19 hours and 51 minutes. That's how long it took me to beat this absolute classic. My first time through it, I was amazed how well it stands up today. The graphics are perfect, the sound, the controls, the gameplay - it's just the pinnacle of 16 bit gaming. It's really not far off being flawless. If I had to nitpick I'd say some of the secrets and upgrades are obscure to the point of almost certainly being impossible to find without the use of a guide or swapping playground tips with friends, but if I was playing this back in the day I'd have been pleased I was getting my monies worth.

The dungeons were great, the puzzles sometimes tricky but never unworkoutable, boss battles good. Man, it's just a fucking brilliant game. 10/10.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Alex79uk wrote: November 21st, 2019, 7:52 pm
If I had to nitpick I'd say some of the secrets and upgrades are obscure to the point of almost certainly being impossible to find without the use of a guide or swapping playground tips with friends, but if I was playing this back in the day I'd have been pleased I was getting my monies worth...
Funnily enough it's for this reason that I didn't complete a single Zelda game until Ocarina, despite playing and loving ALTTP, Link's awakening and the original game.

I was strangely stubborn about turning to guides for help as a child, still am to an extent. Even with the help of a couple of friends, we never managed to make it to the end of this one.

I have since gone back and finished it of course, with the aid of a guide in a few spots. At the time though, the sheer joy of existing in such an expansive (for the time) and beautifully crafted world was enough for me to spend countless hours poking and prodding at the game, creating my own stories in my head as I went.

Finally making progress after days of beating my head against it is a feeling I can still recall to this day and the iconic jingle, despite having heard it hundreds of times across numerous games, still takes me back to A Link to the Past.