Well Twitter has been interesting today hasn't it?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
KissMammal

Re: Well Twitter has been interesting today hasn't it.

Post by KissMammal »

I’ve been listening to the pod for years because of the balance you bring to the games you review, and the lack of ‘dude-bro’ culture that turns me off so many other gaming sites.
Agreed, It's a bit of a generalisation (and things have changed a lot in recent years) but videogame media has tended to be on the juvenile side over the years, lots of tiresome attempts at humour, lame in-jokes and hyperbole/rants etc, and what attracted me to C&R is that it seemed much more grown up, for lack of a better word.

It goes without saying, but once someone uses the term 'SJW' unironically, they have forfeited their right to be taken seriously by anyone.

Honestly, this culture war-ification of politics makes me despair sometimes. How anyone could listen to C&R and the main takeaway be the 'politics' of the hosts just boggles the mind.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

KissMammal wrote: November 14th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Honestly, this culture war-ification of politics makes me despair sometimes. How anyone could listen to C&R and the main takeaway be the 'politics' of the hosts just boggles the mind.
My feelings exactly. For a lot of these people just saying the words sexism or racism makes you a left-wing extremist.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. As Leon said, we are all older, wiser and have developed as people, but our political beliefs and moral values have remained consistent. It's one of the reasons the team would have been brought together as that was more important than our similarities in tastes for gaming.

We try to discuss things in a grown up manner, and has already been mentioned here, even if we disagree with some listener correspondence we tried it as adults, we understand people have different opinions, but more so, if I felt I ever had a viewpoint that was different (political or otherwise) I know I can discuss that with the team either privately or on the podcast in a recording, and it will again, be discussed like adults. That's what's key and one of the things that I'm sure listeners appreciate.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I don't really care for discussing politics in gaming circles or any leisure-related outlets personally, life is complicated enough and this is one of my escape routes.

But the C&R bunch are clearly very kind, welcoming and decent people. I'm not really sure how you could have a problem with them, but that's just me. I like listening to them and being part of a lovely community.

Keep doing what you're doing folks.
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

KissMammal wrote: November 14th, 2019, 5:20 pm
I’ve been listening to the pod for years because of the balance you bring to the games you review, and the lack of ‘dude-bro’ culture that turns me off so many other gaming sites.
Agreed, It's a bit of a generalisation (and things have changed a lot in recent years) but videogame media has tended to be on the juvenile side over the years, lots of tiresome attempts at humour, lame in-jokes and hyperbole/rants etc, and what attracted me to C&R is that it seemed much more grown up, for lack of a better word.
On this specifically, I absolutely agree on C&R differentiation. I don't mind juvenile if just that in the way say Bottom was or I'm sorry I Haven't a Clue is (radio4 style juvenile). But not when its an excuse to be sexist/demeaning to others/punching down. the original IGN UK podcast was predominately white dudes being very juvenile, but I felt it wans't at the expense of anyone and I liked it.
Unfortunately juvenile often comes with other things alongside it.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

It just grinds my gears when people even refer to it as 'politics'. It's not. I don't think I've ever heard anything I'd really consider truly 'political' even discussed on C&R, ever.

The criticisms all boil down to pathetic, reactionary culture war sniping as far as I'm concerned.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

There are plenty of political issues being discussed in this thread alone.

The nonsense the Twitter oik spouted? I agree, not politics. Just inane drivel.