Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo »

Play the game ‘Universal Paperclip’ if you want to see an interesting take on where AI research could go.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: November 29th, 2019, 1:22 pm I got XCOM Enemy Within on the iPad for about 2 euros. Will I ever play it? Unlikely.
What a great deal! /s

On-topic: I've been playing MOLEK-SYNTEZ. 8-)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Gesundheit!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: November 29th, 2019, 6:36 pm Play the game ‘Universal Paperclip’ if you want to see an interesting take on where AI research could go.
That’s very interesting actually! I only had ten mins on it so far so I haven’t seen where the ‘AI’ side of things kicks in, but even from an optimization/clicker point of view it’s kind of intriguing.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper wrote: November 30th, 2019, 8:26 am
Flabyo wrote: November 29th, 2019, 6:36 pm Play the game ‘Universal Paperclip’ if you want to see an interesting take on where AI research could go.
That’s very interesting actually! I only had ten mins on it so far so I haven’t seen where the ‘AI’ side of things kicks in, but even from an optimization/clicker point of view it’s kind of intriguing.
I can't play this, took a quick look and had a 20 second go but I get quickly and easily addicted to clicker/numbers go higher games. I could feel the pull in the short time I spent with it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My eldest was over today and the two younguns had gone out with their mum so we had some rare day time to ourselves. I bought Heave Ho on the Switch and we had a great old time. Its like a cross between Loco Roco, Grow Home and Mount Your Friends or something. You just have to get to the end of the stage whilst navigating traps and spikes that'll kill you. It's really fun, and I've promised not to do any single player and that we'll only play it together in co-op.

The best way to see what it is is this video I think:

Loopoo

Post by Loopoo »

I've been playing Castlevania Dracula's curse.

First time I've ever truly committed to a game with such precise gameplay as this. I managed the first 3 boss fights without using save states and the elation I felt when I beat them was nearly euphoric!

For about 6 hours I was stuck on one level that, although I could master certain parts of it, putting it all together to clear it with enough health was becoming soul destroying and at one point I questioned my own existence. I caved, I used 2 save states. I beat the boss and yes, I was happy, it was more relief than the incredible experience I had felt before - a true testament to the game's rewarding design.

This is also the first time I've really understood the repetition style of game design and I feel so proud of myself when I know I've made progress in a level through sheer perseverance.

Definitely going to carry on with my Trevor Belmont adventure, however tough it gets!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

In the mood for more platform games lately so I've picked up Sonic Colours on the Wii

Seems good so far and I'm keen to see it evolve with the Wisps
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

As a Star Wars fan I would have thought Jedi Fallen order would be an easy sell to me but after a semi decent opening tutorial level I really struggled with the first planet to the point where I nearly gave it up as a bad job. I must've fallen to my death around 20 times so far through either stupidity or the very poor map system. It also looks like a game at the end of the 360's life cycle which isn't usually something that bothers me. Cal's hair is 100% next gen though for some reason.

Luckily my love of Star Wars pushed me through and I have now left that planet and I hope it picks up on some level very soon.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

From hearing podcasts discussing Jedi Fallen Order it sounds like a mixed bag graphically. More than likely rushed out for timing purposes alongside other Star Wars releases. Unusual for Respawn to lack that polish, I imagine it wasn't their choice.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: November 28th, 2019, 4:36 pm Having finished Luigi's Mansion 3 and bloody loving it, I'm clear for a while in terms of things to play.

Which is a great opportunity to go back and clear some stuff from my backlog.

Enter..... Metroid Zero Mission.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Jurassic World Evolution again. There's that new patch/DLC coming, so I figured I'd five star the islands in the campaign before then. I know I'm like this with all sim games, but I lose all track of time with the game. And now I have a T-Rex.
Suits

Post by Suits »

duskvstweak wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 3:31 pm And now I have a T-Rex.
You, ....... you, have a T-Rex........ ???
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Loopoo wrote: December 1st, 2019, 11:49 pm I've been playing Castlevania Dracula's curse.

First time I've ever truly committed to a game with such precise gameplay as this. I managed the first 3 boss fights without using save states and the elation I felt when I beat them was nearly euphoric!

For about 6 hours I was stuck on one level that, although I could master certain parts of it, putting it all together to clear it with enough health was becoming soul destroying and at one point I questioned my own existence. I caved, I used 2 save states. I beat the boss and yes, I was happy, it was more relief than the incredible experience I had felt before - a true testament to the game's rewarding design.

This is also the first time I've really understood the repetition style of game design and I feel so proud of myself when I know I've made progress in a level through sheer perseverance.

Definitely going to carry on with my Trevor Belmont adventure, however tough it gets!
Hey, welcome to the forum!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Picked up Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and so have been getting back in to that game. Just beat Barioth, so I'm a decent amount in, but still got a long way to go. So far it's really good, but it's not a massive change to the game. Generally it's basically more MH World. I think how different it feels might be down to what weapon you use though. Mainly I use Insect Glaive, and that hasn't changed much, and the changes it did get don't seem to be especially useful. On the other hand, Longsword has had quite a lot of additions, so that play style does feel significantly different. I think I'm at a point where I need to go back and upgrade my weapons though. Haven't actually got any new ones since starting this DLC, and I'm starting to struggle at certain points because of that. I actually almost ran out of the whole 50 minute time limit against Barioth and only got away with that because I captured it instead of fighting for the last phase.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Suits wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 3:42 pm
We have a T-Rex.

WELCOMETOJURASSICPARK
Suits

Post by Suits »

duskvstweak wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 9:19 pm
Suits wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 3:42 pm
We have a T-Rex.

WELCOMETOJURASSICPARK
😍
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Well, there it is
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Finally finished Mega Man 11, six months after starting it! Looks wonderful, plays fine, just ain’t no Mega Man 2! Also remembered I’d started the Star Wars Battlefront 2 campaign and finished that off. Sometimes great, but too often a buggy, frustrating mess.

Been caning Batman Arkham City over the last few days. It still plays great, though playing it straight after Asylum has proved what I always suspected since the first time around - I definitely prefer the focus of its predecessor.

And the more I play Lonely Mountains Downhill, the further up my game of the year list it climbs. The controls are so tight, and the exploration, experimentation and general obsession needed to achieve the expert times is just brilliantly realised.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I couldn't get to grips with the control scheme in Lonely Mountains Downhill - looking at it side on but having to steer as if I was on the bike. I admit I only gave it 5 mins though!

I've been playing Rage 2. I'm not sure I'll finish it, so I'll pop it in here.

It's decent, if a bit old-fashioned in a way I can't quite express. It feels very much like a last-gen (360, PS3) game - crate smashing, ammo pickups, weapon switching, the world which superficially has a lot going on is very static, etc. I just get that feeling but it's hard to pin down - maybe it's just that I haven't played an FPS for a while.

The shooting is neat - I'm playing on normal which is a bit too easy (I've died either twice or three times in 8 hours, and the deaths were as much to do with getting button-confused as anything), but I'd be worried that the enemies become bullet sponges at a higher level (I haven't tested this to be fair). There are a TONNE of abilities you can switch between in combat, along with weapon variety and modifications, and I suspect all of these would result in a rip roaring time for people who are creative and inventive in their FPSing - maybe a lesser version of what the Vanquish truthers are always telling us it is.

For me though, it's a bland dish rather than a spicy plate - enjoyable enough in its way but no more than that. Although I've just realised that the eight hours I spent were over only two sessions, so obviously there is something moreish about the game.