The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

I've not got much interest in Mario Maker, but the preview video for the new update looked amazing! The Zelda stuff especially. Excited to see what more talented people than me can do with it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:45 pm I've not got much interest in Mario Maker, but the preview video for the new update looked amazing! The Zelda stuff especially. Excited to see what more talented people than me can do with it.
Oh mate, there is just so much to that game.

The story mode is clever, very fun and pretty challenging.

The online is always worth a look with loads to search tools to help you find what you are looking for.

Then, the building, it’s so much fun to mess around with and you’ll soon find yourself doing more and more 😄.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It looks amazing. My issue, and I know it's stupid, is that I have to have a goal driving me through a game. I tried Minecraft and enjoyed it but its the lack of end goal that stops me playing. Same with any sort of user driven game. I don't know why, but I can't really play a game 'just for fun'. That sounds worse than it actually is, but it just means I tend to need a story driving me through, or a tangible goal like getting all the bundles in Stardew Valley or something. The exception is pinball games. But then that's all about the score, so I suppose even then there is a goal of sorts. In short, it's not Mario Maker, it's me.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Hahaha, yeah, I understand what you’re saying.

The story mode has a ending, tied to a % complete !!

Please pick it up and start messing with it, there’s so much to do with it 😄.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I pretty much bought MM2 exclusively for the single player mode (knowing I probably wouldn't do more than a cursory mess around with the actual building part of the game) and I felt it was worth it - still got a good 10 hours of gameplay. Worth picking up for that alone I would say, especially if it ever goes on sale.
My issue, and I know it's stupid, is that I have to have a goal driving me through a game. I tried Minecraft and enjoyed it but its the lack of end goal that stops me playing. Same with any sort of user driven game. I don't know why, but I can't really play a game 'just for fun'. That sounds worse than it actually is, but it just means I tend to need a story driving me through, or a tangible goal like getting all the bundles in Stardew Valley or something. The exception is pinball games. But then that's all about the score, so I suppose even then there is a goal of sorts. In short, it's not Mario Maker, it's me.
I know what you mean - I will occasionally check out some user-created Mario levels, but they tend to be more an interesting/clever novelty than something that is actually fun to play for any length of time. Most of all, playing Mario Maker makes me realise that the sense of cohesiveness and progression you get in a trad Mario game is a very vital part of the package.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I may pick it up at some point, but to be honest the New SMB Wii-U Deluxe will definitely be a priority first!
Suits

Post by Suits »

KissMammal wrote: December 9th, 2019, 6:53 pm Most of all, playing Mario Maker makes me realise that the sense of cohesiveness and progression you get in a trad Mario game is a very vital part of the package.
This completely.

If you pick up Mario Maker thinking you'll get a an experience similar to a traditional Mario game you will be left wanting.

SMM is more of an accompaniment to the main line games I find, if you fancy something else once you're perhaps over familiar with the mainline games.

It's certainly not for everyone.

In my experience, you have to fully commit to the systems and what the game is offering.

But once you get into the style, mix with the community and find satisfaction in the gameplay direction its very very rewarding.

Lead a horse to water and all that but theres some cracking levels in the community thread if you ever fancy giving some user created levels another go.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Alex79uk wrote: December 9th, 2019, 6:56 pm I may pick it up at some point, but to be honest the New SMB Wii-U Deluxe will definitely be a priority first!
Despite a few minor issues (like annoying overworld enemy encounters that make traversing the world map much more of a hassle than it needs to be), I really enjoyed NSMBWUD. I'd go so far as to say I think it's a bit underrated. BUT, I would only recommend it to people like me who plan to really sink their teeth into it and 100% it. If you just want to play through to 'completion', I can easily see you being really underwhelmed by it. Playing to the 'ending' is a cakewalk, unlocking all of the secret levels and finding every last hidden coin is an all-consuming challenge that will test even seasoned Mario players. I consider myself pretty good at Mario games, and think I bowed out a couple of coins short.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I've heard the game really begins once you've seen the credits. Looking forward to playing it at some point.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

In my opinion, it's probably the closest entry in the series to the 'classic' Mario format since Super Mario World. It still has that slightly bland, cookie cutter NSB aesthetic, the world map and level design aren't as imaginative or interesting, and there aren't anywhere near the amount of secrets, quirks and easter eggs as the older games, but if you want something that feels at least slightly more akin to Mario Bros 3 and SMW, it's your best option at present.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ten free Switch games between now and Christmas.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/1 ... luding_you

It's not as complicated as it sounds. Basically, you need to own one of their games to qualify, but if you don't they have a free colouring book you can download and that counts too. You need to download each game each day or you miss out, you can't skip days.

I can't vouch for the quality of the games, they're all fairly cheap arcade games, but I have Mana Spark and that's pretty good. Even if 2 or 3 of them are great it's worth doing!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You can make the first game the free to download colouring book too, so there’s no need to spend a penny.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Robonauts is good for about half an hour or so!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Axiom Verge 2 is extremely interesting.

I love the new theme and direction of what was shown last night in that Indies Direct.

One of my biggest criticisms of the first game was the Alien theme, it was bad - just grated on me after a while.

Anyway, I’m very much looking forward to this game and will embrace any Limited/Special Edition Version if it’s made as the last one was wonderful.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I haven't watched the Nindies presentation yet. Got the house to myself tonight so looking forward to watching that and the PS State Of Play whilst eating my fishcake and chips alone :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sorry, if I potentially spoilt the Axion Verge thing - it was kind of presented as a “...and one final thing !”.

It’s a cool announcement too 😎.

It’s a decent presentation, plenty to get enthused about regards indie stuff I thought.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:41 pm Sorry, if I potentially spoilt the Axion Verge thing - it was kind of presented as a “...and one final thing !”.
Not at all! I've heard some of the stuff, just not watched it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I love being surprised by stuff like this and spoilt it for myself, as just as I booted up YouTube to watch the presentation later that evening, I wasn’t thinking and saw the first thumbnail which blew the surprise for me 🥴.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Nothing much of interest for me in the nindies vid - plenty of nice original concepts, just nothing that really jumped out as something I'd personally buy.

Here's hoping for a full Direct early next year!

Also, not sure how Stranger's Wrath qualifies as an 'indie' game?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've got a Switch.

My eldest has a Switch.

Does anyone know if there's a way he can play games I've bought from the eshop on his Switch? Maybe if I log in or something? I know it's possible on PS4...