Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jobobonobo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Jobobonobo »

shadowless_kick wrote: December 19th, 2019, 11:13 am
you can do it! Journey Mode destroyed me too, but I eventually came out on top. on the other hand, I’ve still yet to get an A ranking in the clear-40-lines-as-fast-as-possible challenge. I thought I’d done it once I broke the 2-minute mark, but the game only taunted me with a measly B. hmph.

just curious — are you playing in VR?
Thanks for the encouraging words! I just beat the second last level and now it is only Metamorphosis left. Gets really tough 60 lines in but I think victory is very close.

As for VR, afraid not. My current place just does not have enough room to really take advantage of it. Though I guess Tetris would be alright for it. This and Rez are definitely games I would love to try on it though!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

dezm0nd wrote: December 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm I've also played through Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Forces for the Twitch channel (and youtube). If you fancy having something to stare at whilst on the toilet or something then have a look!

www.youtube.com/caneandrinse

Good stuff!
Been watching the Sonic streams on YouTube alright, really enjoying you going through the series (and looking forward to when this series will inevitably be covered on the main podcast). But I have to say, Sonic 1 being your favourite of the Mega Drive Trilogy is honestly the most controversial opinion I have heard from you. Yeah, the final boss on Sonic 2 is a bit rubbish but other than that I do think it is superior to the original in every way. The waiting on small platforms over lava make Marble Zone a bit of a snooze fest and Labyrinth Zone is the ultimate in crap water levels. But I do think Sonic 2 focuses a bit too much on speed and it is why to me Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the best because it combines speed and tight platforming in a more balanced fashion. The Mega Drive Trilogy has each successor improving greatly on the previous title and Sonic 3&K is among the best platformers of the 16 bit era in terms in reiterating what makes these games so appealing.

Also good luck with Sonic CD, it's a weird one.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Jobobonobo wrote: December 21st, 2019, 11:18 pm Thanks for the encouraging words! I just beat the second last level and now it is only Metamorphosis left. Gets really tough 60 lines in but I think victory is very close.
I had the same issue - you can do it! In fact, when I finally beat the last level on the lowest setting, I then blazed through the intermediate setting (which was a TON of fun), only to get stuck on the last level again. Still haven't beaten it (but have stopped trying obvs).
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Chopper wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 10:26 am I had the same issue - you can do it! In fact, when I finally beat the last level on the lowest setting, I then blazed through the intermediate setting (which was a TON of fun), only to get stuck on the last level again. Still haven't beaten it (but have stopped trying obvs).
Yeah I tend to flit in between beginner and normal difficulty when either one is giving me trouble. I find when I have a little break I tend to do much better at the game. Guess your brain needs the rest. Also doing the weekend events in Effect mode is also a nice break from the main game. Effect is a lot more packed with content than I imagined which is a pleasant surprise.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Untitled Goose Game was one of the latest games to join GamePass so we've been trying that out.

I think mechancially it works well and the style is firmly in keeping with the ethos of a rouge goose causing havoc in an english village - I'm not certain just how long this could maintain interest. That said, my daughters seem enthralled with the game so the freeform chaos seems to be working for them at less

It's been a time of family gaming as my wife and me have been working our way through Lego City Undercover, unlocking it all on her profile. I still think the first Lego Avengers game is possibly the best mix of options but Lego City Undercover is certainly fun in co-op - levels can be a bit hit and miss but driving a rocket propelled cement mixer is always fun and I'm looking forward to the final level with it's awesome soundtrack
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jobobonobo wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 12:10 am
dezm0nd wrote: December 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm I've also played through Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Forces for the Twitch channel (and youtube). If you fancy having something to stare at whilst on the toilet or something then have a look!

www.youtube.com/caneandrinse

Good stuff!
Been watching the Sonic streams on YouTube alright, really enjoying you going through the series (and looking forward to when this series will inevitably be covered on the main podcast). But I have to say, Sonic 1 being your favourite of the Mega Drive Trilogy is honestly the most controversial opinion I have heard from you. Yeah, the final boss on Sonic 2 is a bit rubbish but other than that I do think it is superior to the original in every way. The waiting on small platforms over lava make Marble Zone a bit of a snooze fest and Labyrinth Zone is the ultimate in crap water levels. But I do think Sonic 2 focuses a bit too much on speed and it is why to me Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the best because it combines speed and tight platforming in a more balanced fashion. The Mega Drive Trilogy has each successor improving greatly on the previous title and Sonic 3&K is among the best platformers of the 16 bit era in terms in reiterating what makes these games so appealing.

Thanks for watching, mate! I genuinely didnt expect to like Sonic 1 as much as I did and that's probably why I felt like I enjoyed them more than 2 and 3.

I've really enjoyed the streaming so far and will carry it on throughout 2020. Mania is currently on offer on xbox and I'm very tempted.

CD is definitely an odd one. I've been told many times that it's the real Sonic 2, chronologically speaking so I'm excited to go in with that in mind.

I'll be back on in the new year.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jobobonobo wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 12:10 am
Good stuff!

Thanks for watching, mate! I genuinely didnt expect to like Sonic 1 as much as I did and that's probably why I felt like I enjoyed them more than 2 and 3.

I've really enjoyed the streaming so far and will carry it on throughout 2020. Mania is currently on offer on xbox and I'm very tempted.

CD is definitely an odd one. I've been told many times that it's the real Sonic 2, chronologically speaking so I'm excited to go in with that in mind.

I'll be back on in the new year.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I enjoyed Sonic Mania, as someone who's not really a big fan of the series. My favorite is still the SMS version of Sonic 1. Are you going to do the Master System games? They're pretty good.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I can only really stream from the Xbox One at the moment but if I find myself in a position to have the time to setup my laptop to stream then i'm all for it
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I finally got Resident Evil 2 (2019), since RE3 is getting a remake too and looks absolutely dope, and RE2make was like 50% off on PSN.

My goodness this game feels amazing to play. The controls and combat are as perfect as everyone has been saying. Kneecapping zombies and knifing them while they're down is even more fun than in RE4. The police station looks better than ever, and there is an option to have the music from the OG RE2 instead of the newly composed soundtrack. That 1998 soundtrack is still so good and fitting, completely timeless.

It's a very strong argument for high quality, really developed remakes of classic games. It feels like a completely fresh experience while delivering nostalgia at the same time - if only big budget movie studios could learn a thing or two from companies like Capcom! Little quality of life things like one of the best maps I've seen in a game, the way you can nudge into a door with your gun drawn so you slowly open it ready for action if there's something horrendous on the other side... such a lovingly crafted game.

It is very tense and (personally) pretty scary, although luckily the goofy noises the zombies make makes it less so. I boarded up a window near one safe room, and there's a zombie just constantly trying to get in. First few times back past him I jumped out of my skin when he started moaning and reaching through, but now I just sort of mutter "f*** off, Frank" as I go past.

Also how good is the noir outfit and filter? I might play the whole game like this.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Always preferred RE3 over 2, so I’m really looking forward to that too based on the job they’ve done here. Definitely one of the highlights of the year.

Which can’t be said about my kidneys deciding to shut down ten days ago, and after emergency surgery I’m now back home, a bit more with it, and the Switch has really come into its own keeping me entertained over the last few days.

Finally finished Saboteur, the old Spectrum classic now on Switch after never doing so first time around. Amazing amount of new stuff post-original game too - must have been a good five hours of a more linear story. All for its 90p summer sale price! Got its sequel yesterday for the same price in the Christmas sale, which I always preferred, so looking forward to that.

Started Starlink, which was a tenner for the physical version plus toys a few months ago. Plays nice and looks good, and there’s a hell of a lot more to do than I ever expected, but I’m not mucking about with great big plastic starships on my sick bed!

Quite a way into Yoshi’s Island too. What a joyful game! As it Stardew Valley, which can so easily kill hours at a time and never gets old.

Given the PSP some love too - picked up Out Run 2006 on eBay for almost nothing last month and spent a good few hours today playing it. Will never top its predecessor but great fun all the same.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Jesus, that sounds awful. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Get well soon. Glad your switch is keeping your spirits up.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Sorry to hear that, hope you get well soon.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Thanks everyone. Yes, out of nowhere. Sat down at a football match feeling fine, ten minutes later was a complete mess! Anyway, hopefully on the mend. Wish you all a fantastic Christmas.

I’ll never look at Soboteur in the same way again...
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I'm *still* keeping up on Apex Legends, somehow - I find it's like a sort of caffeine for my brain, the fast-paced nature of matches and the unpredictability of opponent skill level is a shot of adrenaline to the system to help me get up and ready to hammer out more methodical pursuits in life, work, and gaming. Really love this one - even if the excessively priced microtransactions - literally, $20 for skins and $7 for event loot boxes that only yield a single randomized item (of 24) - can go fuck themselves.

I'm also presently jumping back and forth between:
- No More Heroes 2 (how have I not played this absolutely bonkers masterpiece til now?)
- Mega Man Legends 2 (one of my Top 10 games of all time, been playing for a friend via Twitch periodically)
- Bug Fables (adorable Paper Mario "clone", though I think it's superior to the Paper Mario games)
- Yakuza 0 (I have literally been chipping away at this game since 2017 and I kinda just want it to end already)
- Resident Evil 3 (I got a few hours in, only to discover that my disc straight-up does not work at a certain point, so I may pick up my save with a digital version - god bless the PS3)

And after these, there's a few that I really want to start blind plays of - I've had my eyes on Metroid Prime 3, Mario + Rabbids and Watch Dogs 2 for a while. Though I'll also be picking up a TON of early 2020 releases starting with Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection on Feb 25th, so hopefully I can rush through some of these?
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Jon Cheetham wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 1:34 am I finally got Resident Evil 2 (2019), since RE3 is getting a remake too and looks absolutely dope, and RE2make was like 50% off on PSN.

My goodness this game feels amazing to play. The controls and combat are as perfect as everyone has been saying. Kneecapping zombies and knifing them while they're down is even more fun than in RE4. The police station looks better than ever, and there is an option to have the music from the OG RE2 instead of the newly composed soundtrack. That 1998 soundtrack is still so good and fitting, completely timeless.

It's a very strong argument for high quality, really developed remakes of classic games. It feels like a completely fresh experience while delivering nostalgia at the same time - if only big budget movie studios could learn a thing or two from companies like Capcom! Little quality of life things like one of the best maps I've seen in a game, the way you can nudge into a door with your gun drawn so you slowly open it ready for action if there's something horrendous on the other side... such a lovingly crafted game.

It is very tense and (personally) pretty scary, although luckily the goofy noises the zombies make makes it less so. I boarded up a window near one safe room, and there's a zombie just constantly trying to get in. First few times back past him I jumped out of my skin when he started moaning and reaching through, but now I just sort of mutter "f*** off, Frank" as I go past.

Also how good is the noir outfit and filter? I might play the whole game like this.
Imagine dropping a game's price to 25% of the launch price after a game surpasses sales expectations? In the same year of release? Nintendo seems to think 25% off Mario Galaxy - a game over 2 years old - is a bargain... Yeesh. They could learn a thing or two from Capcom.

But seriously, I love noir filters in certain games. LA Noire is another one that benefits greatly from this. But as a pro tip... Every game can have a noir filter if you fiddle with your TV's colour settings. ;D I have a few different pre-sets I use for different games. I have a sepia-tone setup I use for old movies and such - I made it for watching vintage Twilight Zone.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I remember when I was a kid playing my Master System on a little black and white portable TV in my bedroom, with an actual dial you used to tune in to different channels. Alex Kidd Noir. World Soccer Noir. Castle Of Illusion Noir. Blew my tiny mind when we were allowed to hook it up to the living room TV and seeing them in colour.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Magical_Isopod wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:21 pm I'm also presently jumping back and forth between:
- No More Heroes 2 (how have I not played this absolutely bonkers masterpiece til now?)
Glad to see new people enjoying that one. Did you play the first before?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I have a whole backlog of AAA and indie games I'm desperate to play, yet have spent all day on one game. Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection. Man it's addictive! I tried it a couple of times a while back, but it's really clicked today. Once you get the hang of it there are loads of little tricks you get to know about placing the blocks and making educated guesses. Loving it!