Half LIfe 2 - Cinematic Mod and MMod

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Worfendorf

Half LIfe 2 - Cinematic Mod and MMod

Post by Worfendorf »

I just finished replaying Half Life 2 with both Cinematic Mod and MMod installed and was wondering: Has anyone else played HL2 with one or both of those mods? Playing HL2 through with these enhancements made me appreciate the game in a way I haven't since 2004.

For those who don't know, Cinematic Mod is a total overhaul of the entire game's textures and models, while MMod freshens up the gunplay. Instead of 2004 Source Engine graphics, you have graphics about on par with a shooter circa 201 Instead of hitscan shooting, you have modeled ballistics. The guns have recoil and give WAY better feedback than in the original version of HL2. These, along with a full stack of other improvements, can be toggled on or off in the game's menu.

I'd love to see what you thought about it. If you haven't checked it out and you're a fan of HL2, I can't recommend it enough. It's legitimately like having a fully-formed remake of the game. Since Valve doesn't seem in a rush to remake their own games anytime soon, it's about as close to official as we're likely to get.

Just about any discussion I can find online about Cinematic Mod is quick to point out the apparent perverseness of its creator. (Google "Cinematic Mod" for a few minutes, and you'll quickly find the "FULLY. MODELED..." meme.) But I couldn't care less about that, and I'm amazed that there isn't more praise for these mods. Since I couldn't find a non-horny discussion elsewhere, I thought I'd pose it/evangelize for the mods here!

So, what say you?