The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

Yeah man, you can.

You’ll just have to make your profiles the primary ones on both consoles.

Then get your boy to sign in as himself when he plays.

I do it with my Switch Lite and my Switch.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah cool, thanks man.

Heads up - some of the Pinball Fx3 tables are half price at the moment. I just picked up four tables for around a fiver. I love this game, anyone else play it much? Would be good to do some score battles.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Good sale going on on the North American eshop right now - Witcher III and Super Mario Odyssey can be had for $41.99 a piece, while Octopath Traveler is $35.99. Plenty of other titles in there too.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/1 ... th_america
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm going to grab a couple of Switch games over the next couple of days. Blasphemous is a definite, but trying to decide between Hyper Light Drifter and Untitled Goose Game.

I know the kids would love the goose game, and I do want to play it too, but the £18 rankles me a bit for such a short game and I'm not sure whether to wait for a sale.

Anyone here played it? It is worth the asking price?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: December 25th, 2019, 1:41 pm Anyone here played it? It is worth the asking price?
I played it through in one sitting with a mate and a few beers - it was very clever and very funny.

I’d recommend that for sure, easily.

Anything other than that, due to the price like you say, I’m not so sure.

I’d be encouraging you to go for HLD for a Christmas game dude 👍🏽.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks!

Haha there's really no such thing as a Christmas game in my house. I live with the two naughtiest boys in the world (official record, judged by three independent adjudicators) so I don't really get any time to myself.

Also, I have Yokus Island Express I've not touched yet!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Well the great Nintendo build quality curse rears it’s ugly head again in my house as my left joycon now has the fucked catch through absolutely no fault of my own. It’s just developed over time through normal and careful use. Much like your situation Alex.

Ugh. I can’t let it go, even though I’ll mostly be using the Hori split pad pro in handheld now.

They can fuck off if they think I’m buying more joycons so I’m going to do the DIY fix. Kit arrives today. Wish me luck...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Oh yeah I could easily just live with it and get by but I’m not wired that way unfortunately.

It’s on
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Well that went very well! Completely fixed! Also done the other one. Sorted for a fiver. Superb!

Some pics below showing some of the process and the broken latch. It wasn’t that bad at all.

https://ibb.co/R9pvr3r
https://ibb.co/2Wz60Lg
https://ibb.co/Zm3c2Dw
https://ibb.co/XLmRdx8
https://ibb.co/m68zJ7X

If anyone else has this issue and wants to go the DIY route themselves, here is the kit I bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TNGQ743/ ... cEbMHXSXQZ
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks, was just about to ask if you'd done it and how easy it was. I've got a decent amount of experience messing with stuff, replaced the sticks in my Vita a few times, is this easy to do? I don't wanna break them... Do you need any special tools?

EDIT: I should have clicked the link before asking! I'm ordering that kit soon as I get paid.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've had a look, but does anyone know of a 3rd party joycon which switches the stick and dpad on the left side? So the dpad is at the top and stick at the bottom?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Hmm, not seen such a thing, unfortunately. There's the Hori Joycon (not the big Split Pad thing) which has a proper D-pad as opposed to the face buttons but same configuration otherwise.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I gotta a question for Nintendo hardware fanatics.

So, I rented Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair for Switch and I LOVED IT. Yes, it's free on Epic Storem but I'm like 10 hours deep into my Switch save file... So I've been wanting to pick that up. Thing is though, it's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to import a copy from the UK than it is to buy in Canada ($35 for a NEW PAL copy vs. $50 for a used NTSC copy).

So what I'm trying to ascertain is... If I buy a PAL copy can I play my save file generated from an NTSC cart? Has anyone tested this and confirmed it? I know, for instance, my PAL copy of BlazBlue Central Fiction doesn't work with the DLC bought on the Canadian PSN store. But I know Nintendo is weird.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 6:21 pm I gotta a question for Nintendo hardware fanatics.
Long story short, it's very likely that you can use the same save file but not certain. I'll go into a bit more depth to explain why.

As you probably know, save files are attached to the console and the profile, so you could have multiple save files on the same Switch for the same game under different profiles (e.g. Japanese account save, Canadian account save, etc.). Whether this extends to the same game from different regions, in the vast majority of cases, yes, it does. If I go to the JPN eShop, for example, it'll tell me that I've 'purchased' almost all of my PAL games, so I couldn't buy a second copy if I wanted to. The save is attached to the profile, stored locally and also saved in the cloud on my UK account (where I paid for NS Online), even if I bought it from the JPN eShop, such as with ARMS and Odyssey.

That said, this isn't the case for all games. There are some 'regional variations' and sometimes for no apparent reason. It seems that significantly differing release dates and localisation delays can result in a 'variation', but that's not always the case. Most commonly, I've seen this happen with JRPGs and Visual Novels but there have been a fair few random games that would allow me to buy the same game twice, as it's a 'different' version, i.e. 'regional variation'. Whether that's the case for Yooka, I really couldn't say as I don't own it (but I'm interested!). Statistically, the odds are definitely in your favour but there's no guarantee.

DLC is different, though, yeah. You need to buy region-specific DLC.

The only other thing to watch out for is some games have regional variations (every single example I've seen is Japanese) where you might need to watch out for limited language options, particularly with JRPGs and visual novels, I've found.

As for general buying options, this site is a useful one for tracking Switch game prices/deals:

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/yooka-l ... sible-lair
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Boxed Minecraft Switch is very expensive at the moment, yikes.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It would appear the Directs are beginning... with a Pokemon one!

Not interested myself but it's all happened before. They'll do a "proper" Direct soon enough but i'm hoping for an Animal Crossing themed one.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

The Pokemon one will probably be a lot of little things.
- Details on Pokemon Home
- Detective Pikachu 2 reveal
- Major patch or DLC as damage control for Sword/Shield
- Maybe another spin-off or something in the pipeline.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I hope Pokemon Home gets shadow dropped.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is getting a remake or a remaster, I'm not sure. Demo up today, releases 6th March.
- Pokemon Sword and Shield getting a DLC expansion pass which will bring in 200 pokemon old/new pokemon. They will also be releasing an update to allow players who don't buy the DLC to still access the returning pokemon.
- Pokemon Home releases in February.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

PMD is fine, not my favorite, but I might pick it up at some point, though it's a bit weird that they're remastering an old game with none of the Pokemon from the new games they should be trying to promote, rather than making a new one.

I'm glad they're addressing the lack of content in Sw/Sh, but I'm not crazy about having to pay more to get a complete experience, given that they were already 50% more expensive than previous titles... Also, if they can add 200+ more Pokemon in 6 months while also working on a major content update, I have an even harder time believing that they can't just give us the entire national dex in the future.

I'm about 200-pokemon more excited for Pokemon Home than I was before this direct, but I still need to be convinced that I should care about it for any Pokemon that still don't find there way into Sword and Shield.