The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
Gingertastic01

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Gingertastic01 »

Hello

Another fairly recent request.

I have just finished playing through the Outer Worlds (a really good video game btw) and thought I would request the title screen music as it is particularly great. I would often save and exit the game so I could come back and listen to this track. It really sets the stage for you going on your grand sci-fi adventure.

Enjoy

Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

GRANASABER from Grandia 2. Composer: Noriyuki Iwadare
In terms of a main musical theme Grandia 2 has a lot to live up to, and while it may not be as iconic as its predecessor, it manages to evoke a similarly grandiose and adventurous feel. It also has passages invoking romance and looming darkness, which fits with the slight tonal shift of the sequel. Most importantly, hearing the theme conjures up the games "attract mode"-cutscene in my mind, and makes me want to go play it over again!

The Masked King from kirby superstar Ultra. Composers: Jun Ishikawa & Hirokazu Ando, remixed by Jonny Atma
I like King Dedede a lot. Though sparsely defined in the main games he has a loveable design, and gets a ton of charm in ancillary appearances like Smash Bros. Thus, though the main series wheels him out over and over, its always fun to see him. If you’re lucky he might put on a mask, and suddenly a cute scuffle against an obese penguin becomes a brutal fight for survival, and the already iconic Dedede theme gets supercharged. Here I’ve submitted Johnny Atmas version of the Masked Dedede Theme, which kicks up the intensity even further for a glorious tribute to the avian monarch.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Been a while since we had anything from the Amiga on here, so here’s the intro and title theme from Lotus 3. I think I prefer this to the title theme from the previous game, although that one is far better known.

Feel that orchestral hit sound sample, it is the sound of the 90s.
Suits

Post by Suits »

If you told me that was a soundtrack from a deleted level from Alien 3 on the Mega Drive, I’d believe you.
TheMessenger94

Post by TheMessenger94 »

I have recently started my own VGM Podcast called The Messenger Presents A VGM Journey. It is more of a bite sized easy listening type of podcast where I would share music from all kinds of games and one of my favorite game soundtracks is from a GBA game called Game & Watch Gallery 4. The soundtrack is filled with cool little catchy songs and I think you guys would like it.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Old time listeners of the show might remember the ‘metal history of video game music’ medley that Jules did (before he got the gig to work on the Necrodancer games)

He’s done a new version of it to finish off the decade:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Here's a nice somber and melancholic track to mix things up a little in-between all the bombastic, fist-pumping anthems of victory we all love so much. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors left an indelible impression on me when I first played it, and the track that plays during a particular poignant and crucial moment of the game's narrative climax couldn't have been better chosen. Unforgettable in all the right ways.
Gingertastic01

Post by Gingertastic01 »

Happy New Year Sound of Play forum, looking forward to another year of musical treats.

Going to kick the year off with a request from one of my favourite vertical shooters from the SNES. Known in Europe and Japan as Super Aleste, and Space Megaforce in America. I don’t really remember much buzz for this game at the time but was a favorite in our house, my brothers and I would play this a lot back in the day.

The game has a fantastic soundscape with great music, punctuated with massive sampled explosions and speech. The track am picking out today is for the opening level.

Enjoy

shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

'Stasis Awakening' - Disasterpeace - Hyper Light Drifter

This track plays as you approach the lair of the boss of the western region. When I first encountered this area, I was overwhelmed by the amount of enemies that sprouted up. The deep bass rumbles, low synth tones and slow pace all do a great job of musically representing this oppressive, smothering horde trying to stop your progress. It also foreshadows the impending boss fight — you are in the presence of something big, mean, dangerous, cruel.

Some time later, after gaining more skill, experience and weapons, I returned to this area looking for secrets I may have missed the first time. I'm much stronger. The same track plays, only this time, the dangerous presence is me.

Richard

Post by Richard »

I have been spending the first part of 2020 trying to tackle my backlog, which includes "AI: The Somnium Files," Kotaro Uchikoshi's bizarre visual novel adventure game. Its slow moving plot and strange gameplay mixed with the most juvenile, prurient jokes possible make it a hard recommendation for a general audience, but I am enjoying it thoroughly and would advise anyone who played and loved the Zero Escape series to give it a try.

Much of the soundtrack is tense and contemplative, which makes this piece, "Invincible Rainbow Arrow," all the more welcome when it makes its appearance. Its ridiculously over-the-top cheeriness and optimism put a huge smile on my face.

Also, kudos to Ryan for including another track from this game in his excellent 2019 medley. Another stunning compilation of music from one of the best years in gaming.

RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

The music in Cannon Fodder is quite rightly lauded and most gamers of a certain age can instantly recall the intro music. However, the music which plays over the death in service screen at the end of each mission is also pretty wonderful. There is perma-death in Cannon Fodder so when you lost that five star general to a stray roof or flaming barrel, you feel every second of that loss when this music kicks in:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That's a belter, Clarence. Always loved that theme even more than the brilliant intro.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Stanshall wrote: January 26th, 2020, 3:08 pm That's a belter, Clarence. Always loved that theme even more than the brilliant intro.
Couldn’t agree more! That is a fine piece of nostalgia.
Gingertastic01

Post by Gingertastic01 »

Hello,

Would like to request the Wave 64 main title, I don’t believe it has been featured before which is kinda crazy if that is the case. Some classic N64 tuneage right here.

Enjoy

RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

I thought so SimonSloth and Stanshall!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Eiko’s theme in Final Fantasy 9 is one of my favourites, but there’s a variant of it that plays in only one scene that wasn’t included in the original release of the soundtrack. It adds the primary melody of Garnet’s theme on top for ... plot reasons that would be a spoiler. (Is FF9 outside the statute of limitations for spoilers?)

It shows how much thought Uematsu puts into his work that these two melodies are clearly meant to work together despite you not actually hearing it like that much.

I was actually reminded how much I like Eiko’s theme while watching the FFT Battleground twitch stream the other day; this light EDM remix of it from Final Fantasy Record Keeper was played. Apparently it was used in the FFRK mobile game on the lobby screen during a Valentine’s Day event.

Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I'd like to request something from Ben Prunty's amazing soundtrack for Into the Breach, one of my favourite games. These songs are laser-honed to work as background music, as well as being really listenable, even dramatic in their own right. My usual soundtrack while doing work or some kind of writing these days. The following track is a good example:

From the guy's Twitter he also seems very sound as a person, even releasing extra EPs of music in the style of FTL because he realised how much people loved having that soundtrack on while studying.
RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

Over in the Retro Asylum game club, we're playing Loom this month. It's a game that I've tried to get through many times but something put me off. Well, that's now changed. I'm now on my second playthrough and I'm playing through the "talkie" or CD ROM version of the game released in 1992.

The original soundtrack is a chip tune arrangement of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake by friend of Sound of Play, George Sanger. While I prefer the 16 colour EGA graphics over the 256 colour graphics from the CD ROM version, the CD remastering of the music is a delight. I could have chosen any number of the tracks, but this is perhaps the most well known and plays during the climactic show down towards the end of the game. A pure work of art.

Hazehill

Post by Hazehill »

Hello everybody. New to the forum but apparently a long time lurker without knowing it.

During one of Michiel's live streams I was chatting to Leon and mentioned a couple of tracks mentioned on Twitter. I said I'd post properly so I'd like to request a tune from Little Big Planet 2. Known as both Desperate Romantics originally in the UK TV show The Appliance of Science' and renamed in LBP2 as Disco Divertimento by the Daniel Pemberton Orchestra. I've had this in every car I've owned since the game came out and every portable music device too. Never fails to get me smiling and singing along. Takes me back to the first time playing the game bouncing on trampolines. Lovely melody and nostalgia feels. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do?

Hazehill

Post by Hazehill »

My other choice is something completely different. From House of the Dead Overkill which I never did complete and really should go back to one of these days. I've not played a lot of games that I was looking forward to but actually stopped on the title screen to listen to the music instead of getting right in and starting. Every song in the sound track to this game is good but there are a couple of standouts for me but the main theme is the one that I must have listened to hundreds of times. The glorious 70s funk style with the belting vocalist going all out just grabbed me the first time I started the game up and I just sat there refusing to press start grinning from ear to ear. Just an all out fantastic track, I hope you like it.