Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Stanshall »

I feel like you fellas are overcomplicating this one, so I'd like to recommend my own solution.

For headphones with the Switch, I use an HDMI to optical output converter into an optical splitter where the PS4 and XB are also connected which then sends the signal to my telly optical input which then outputs via optical to the Astro MixAmp which is powered by USB via the PS4 so it can then send a Bluetooth signal to my wireless Astro headphones whereby I select the Switch output via IR.

You're welcome.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Ahhhh, thanks for making things so easy to grasp, Stanshall.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've mentioned it before, but does everyone know you can use your wireless PS4 and Xbox headphones on Switch? All you have to do is plug the dongle in the USB slot. This, of course, only works in TV mode.

If my answer doesn't help sorry, I've not read the whole conversation!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I've just been playing Apex. I been meaning to play other stuff, but I dunno, I kinda need the adrenaline rush right now.

That said though, I do intend to stream Aladdin (SNES), Putt-Putt Goes To The Moon, No More Heroes 2 and Hidden Agenda (co-op with my friend in France) in the coming week or two. I'm PyramidHeadcrab on Twitch if you wanna tune into any of those.

Like I mentioned in a previous comment, I do intend to complete at minimum 52 games this year - hopefully, at least 45 of those being backlog games and new releases.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Regarding headphones - I've never particularly thought into it honestly - the Xbox consoles are about the only ones that I've played where I've actively used the online play element and needed a microphone.

Did have a set of infra-red headphones linked to the TV some years ago, which I think was boxed up when small questing fingers got into the habit of picking up anything not screwed down (about the same time we mounted the TV onto the wall rather than hope small child wouldn't somehow find a way to bring it down upon themselves ...)
Somewhere I also have a bluetooth headset for the PS3. I could probably root them out but we have also been expecting to move house for a few months and the headset I use on the X1 is the same I use on the laptop so it's doing double duty already

@chopper - those are certainly idea's I'm considering for the 2020 list already up and running. I suspect year of completion is something I'll skip as I finish less than a third of games I start currently and that column would be mostly blank ... Comparing completion percentage is a nice idea, just need to make sure that it's against Xbox in general and not just TA members
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Alex79uk wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 5:36 pm I've mentioned it before, but does everyone know you can use your wireless PS4 and Xbox headphones on Switch? All you have to do is plug the dongle in the USB slot. This, of course, only works in TV mode.

If my answer doesn't help sorry, I've not read the whole conversation!
I actually STILL use the official Sony wireless surround sound headset I bought nearly a decade ago. The one branded for the PS3. It has incredible audio and good mic quality, and the surround sound works on both PS3 and PS4. Like you mentioned, it's USB wireless, so it works on everything. In fact, it's such a serviceable piece of tech that I legit bought replacement earpads for it rather than buy a new headset -- they've begun rotting from age.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Good to know they last. I've got the current version of the gold ones, and they've performed brilliant over the last two years. My only complaint is range, but it's not actually an issue as I sit right in front of the telly when I'm playing games, but the audio cuts out if I go and get something from the kitchen or something. Doesn't matter really.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I played from the middle of RDR2 chapter 3 to near the end of chapter 6 in the last two days since my wife been back at work. Was up til about two in the mornin last night on my travels. That sure is late for me. I'm dumbfounded by where it's gone, one of the great tall tales in the history of videogames.

No doubt there's a lot I'm missin but I ain't much of a one fer huntin or collectin or gallavantin. I just wanna see Mr Morgan do what's gotta be done and I gotta tell ya I got a reallllll bad back from this here chair and my brain don't work so good no more.

I probably need to go back to work.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Finished Untitled Goose Game on Xbox Game Pass. I was happy enough seeing out its short duration but it didn’t really do half as much for me as it seems to most other people.

Demon’s Tilt, on the other hand, is my absolute joy right now! So much going on and the more you play the more it reveals itself as much more than you thought it was. Occult pinball action indeed!

Also really into The Ninja Saviors on Switch. Consistently getting to stage five (of eight) now, have really got to grips with making the violence flow, and have racked up some fairly decent time attack results on the first four stages. Just that the further you get, the more disheartening it is when you die and have to do it all again to progress a bit more. Great game though!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Having finally finished the books, I started the first Witcher game last night. Spent most of the night just doing the opening prologue and then wandering around talking to people in the first town area. I think I got most of the conversations out of the way and I can spend the next session doing actual Witcher things!

Also, weird combat? I've seen it described as a rhythm game.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

stvnorman wrote: January 4th, 2020, 5:55 pm Finished Untitled Goose Game on Xbox Game Pass. I was happy enough seeing out its short duration but it didn’t really do half as much for me as it seems to most other people.

Demon’s Tilt, on the other hand, is my absolute joy right now! So much going on and the more you play the more it reveals itself as much more than you thought it was. Occult pinball action indeed!
Amen to both of these. I don't particularly like stealth gameplay and I found the humour a little bit twee so Goose didn't hit the spot for me. I will probably finish it at some point but there are a lot of games further up the list now. Demon's Tilt, though, what a belter! Definitely my arcade game of choice for dipping in and out for a go at my high score.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

duskvstweak wrote: January 4th, 2020, 6:29 pm Having finally finished the books, I started the first Witcher game last night.
I never touched the first game because even the second was a bit too janky for me (after playing the pretty janky 3rd game!). Fair play for giving it a go, though. I'm certainly intrigued about the narrative and characters and world building. I've only checked out a couple of the books but quite enjoyed them.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm about 45 hours in to MGSV now. Still really enjoying it, but the Skulls team are a pain in the ass. There's a mission where you have to steal a truck in a convoy and you can't stealth them, you have to fight them head on. Even jumping in to a tank it took me about ten goes.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Stanshall wrote: January 4th, 2020, 6:51 pm
duskvstweak wrote: January 4th, 2020, 6:29 pm Having finally finished the books, I started the first Witcher game last night.
I never touched the first game because even the second was a bit too janky for me (after playing the pretty janky 3rd game!). Fair play for giving it a go, though. I'm certainly intrigued about the narrative and characters and world building. I've only checked out a couple of the books but quite enjoyed them.
I just finished Season of Storms! Very good and standalone! Worth picking up without having to read the other books in the series.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

duskvstweak wrote: January 4th, 2020, 6:29 pm Having finally finished the books, I started the first Witcher game last night..

Also, weird combat? I've seen it described as a rhythm game.
Definitely worth sticking with it if you can deal with the combat. Granted, I haven't played it in about 10 years but it gets better as it goes on and finishes strong. If you haven't played 3 yet, it's well worth playing both 1 and 2, just for the best experience in that game.
2 holds up very well I think and is a more interesting game, mechanically speaking, than it's sequel in many ways.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Presently working on a double-header of Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis) and Sparkster (SNES). After those, I'll probably try and finish Yakuza 0 for the sake of the podcast - I think I'm on Chapter 12 or 13, of 16. And I wanna get back to No More Heroes 2 soon as well.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

RE: Witcher game discussion.

I'd legit suggest skipping The Witcher 1 completely, unless you have a high tolerance for archaic PC RPG game design. Expect tons of menuing, middling presentation values, tons of jank, and a very monotonous pace. Witcher 2 has some of these problems as well, but it's a massive improvement -- though the story is a bit weak. Honestly, I'd slight absolutely no one for jumping straight to The Witcher 3, cuz that's really where the series becomes truly fantastic.
PallasRil

Post by PallasRil »

My wife gave me Assassin's Creed Odyssey for Christmas, so I"m about 14 hours into that. I'm playing as Kassandra and love watching her get angry. 'Malaka' is now part of my everyday vocabulary.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

PallasRil wrote: January 5th, 2020, 9:15 pm My wife gave me Assassin's Creed Odyssey for Christmas, so I"m about 14 hours into that. I'm playing as Kassandra and love watching her get angry. 'Malaka' is now part of my everyday vocabulary.
Good choice, the voice actor playing Kassandra is so much better than the one that plays Alexios. He does far too straight a reading of the lines compared to the snide sarcastic delivery Kassandra gets, it made the game for me.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yeah, I really enjoyed AC Odyssey and a large part of that was down to Kassandra's charismatic performance. Funny, plain speaking, tough, but also capable of gentleness, even vulnerability and with an easy understated charm. A beautifully rounded character.