The Cane and Rinse podcast Volume 9 (2020)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ThirdDrawing

Re: The Cane and Rinse podcast Volume 9 (2020)

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Two guesses

1) Suikoden - there's only five games, six if you count Suiko Tactics

2) Legacy of Kain because they said "epic new series", not "epic new RPG series", and there's only five games.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Right then, here we go!

RinseWashRepeat

Post by RinseWashRepeat »

Great selection. Can't wait for the Yakuza episodes! :)
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Great selection indeed! I'm really looking forward to many of these episodes. Some for games I caned and some I rinsed... And some I'll listen to and probably end up wanting to play.

Going to be a great year for podcasts.
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

When will the topics for the new games go up so we can leave feedback on the games for 2020?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

oni-link wrote: January 4th, 2020, 8:33 pm When will the topics for the new games go up so we can leave feedback on the games for 2020?
Here you go, fella:

https://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=37
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

Stanshall wrote: January 4th, 2020, 8:39 pm
oni-link wrote: January 4th, 2020, 8:33 pm When will the topics for the new games go up so we can leave feedback on the games for 2020?
Here you go, fella:

https://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=37
Thanks! Though now I feel like an idiot for somehow managing to miss that
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sorry, they’re not in the same place as they were. Not sure if that was deliberate on Jay’s part or not.
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

Another year another superb line up of titles!

Its about time I purchased the RE2 remake and now I have the perfect excuse 😉 Also really glad to see Yakuza 0 in there, I've wanted to start this series for some time and agin I now have the perfect reason 🙂

Also...AXIOM VERGE!!! :D
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

oni-link wrote: January 4th, 2020, 8:42 pm Thanks! Though now I feel like an idiot for somehow managing to miss that
I'd wager not as much an idiot as I feel for not noticing that I'd stuck them in the wrong sub-forum though!

Anyway, they're now in the correct location.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

So I actually listened to the podcast revealing the lineup for Vol.9 but I am not the lording over type so felt now I can give my thoughts on this lineup. Btw, revealing the lineup by podcast is an excellent idea. Was like a kid on Christmas morning awaiting each title being announced. Definitely do this for all future volume reveals!

-I am really surprised how the majority of games being covered this year are really recent, as in last 2-3 years recent. There were a lot of belters released in that time frame so lots to look forward to but I am curious is this a thing future volumes will do. Will Volume 10 have a lot of stuff from the sixth generation for example or is it just happy coincidence that the lineup this year is dominated by recent titles?

-Beyond delighted that the Mario RPG games are getting a look in, these are fantastic little adventures that really flesh out the Mario universe in a way that the platformers just don't do. Great for newcomers to the JRPG genre while having just enough depth for more seasoned players to enjoy themselves as well. Looking forward to these a lot!

-I was curious what your next big epic series you were going to cover this year would be. Was surprised and extremely excited when I heard it was going to be Yakuza! I played and finished 0 last year and absolutely loved it to bits so C&R covering the series has given me an incentive to go through each of the main entries and follow the story of Kazama Kiryu to the end. I was going to do this anyways but playing along with the podcast really has given me the extra push. Not to mention that the podcasts are spaced out in such a way that I should be able to finish Kiwami in plenty of time before the show airs. Wise move by the way, these games are massive and need time to go through everything they have to offer. Tackling this like Final Fantasy would make things very stressful for the crew!

-TWEWY, Tetris Effect, Marvel's Spider-Man, Rayman. These are games that I have particularly strong opinions on and will eagerly await what you guys will have to say.

-Oxenfree, Arkham Knight, Steep, Boy and his Blob, Mark of Kri and Super Mario Odyssey are all titles I hope to play this year and are a nice mixture of short and long titles that I should be able to play along with the crew for most of these. Whether I am successful or not we will see but there should be great discussions surrounding these titles regardless.

-With Jet Force Gemini being covered this year, all that is left is Killer Instinct and Mickey's Speedway USA and that should be all of the N64 Rare titles covered! Nearly there :)

Wonderful lineup, can't wait for Jan 20!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Cheers Jobo,

Leon and I did have a discussion last year about both decreasing the time it takes us to cover games and adding more of what is seen as more commercially successful games to the volume.

We've been building a not inconsiderable audience for the podcast over the last eight years but felt there's always plenty of room to increase it and we wanted to see if by adding a bunch of games to the list that have recently sold millions of copies increases the potential audience for the podcast since it raises the likelihood that more people have played them and might want to listen and participate.

Bear in mind that we're not just covering certain titles for the possibility of swelling our numbers, these are still games that we buy and play ourselves, primarily we're just reducing the window in which we get around to covering them.

One of our core tenets for the podcast has always been to avoid hot takes and being swept up in the hyperbole of new releases. This is fundamental to our podcast and won't be sacrificed for numbers anytime soon so we are still waiting much longer than most to cover titles in order to be confident that our core approach hasn't changed.

There are also things like DLC and major updates to consider too that muddy the waters further still, so we're still looking at least 12 months after release for most games but this means we could potentially cover the likes the Resident Evil 3 remake for our next volume if the interest is there.

Whether this becomes a thing for our podcast going forward depends entirely on how the year pans out both in terms of growth and whether the listeners want it, so far the response appears to have been a positive one. We still fully intend to cover games from past generations as we have always done. Hell, you never know, if we get enough growth we might even get to the stage where we can think about increasing the number of shows we put out in a volume!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

For what it's worth, I think this is a great approach and fingers crossed that it has an impact on listeners and Patrons. The two-dollar move also seems like a really good one and exceptional value when you consider both what is being produced and what the relative competition is asking. All the best.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jay, thanks for the involved and thoughtful reply. It is good to hear from the horse's mouth what was the reason for the approach this year. I am in no fear that you will be covering newer titles just for the clicks or anything like that, it was just a pattern I noticed when going through the list that's all. The range of titles no matter the age are as diverse as ever this year so looks like it will be another cracking volume! Hope this will attract the new listeners you lot deserve.
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

Interesting response Jay. Seems like a decent approach. I always think that >=3 years is a good window, as it allows reflecting on a game and its peers in a more detected way.
Also, I think there is a large proportion of gamers who play games late and they have different opinions to those in the zeitgeist of the recent releases. Playing the new hot game you are influenced by the discussion. Playing an old game brings isolation.