Infinifactory

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Infinifactory

Post by KSubzero1000 »

More gifs!
Spoiler: show

"Simple, but effective." :P

I'm actually really proud of the spatial management in this one but I found it difficult to choose a camera angle that showcases all of the different moving parts properly.

That light brown centerpiece took half an eternity to get juuuust right.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I haven’t got to those levels, so am squinting at them rather than fully taking them in so not to spoil them, but your builds look impressive! I really need to make time for this game again...might be April or May at this stage though.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: January 12th, 2020, 8:57 am I haven’t got to those levels, so am squinting at them rather than fully taking them in so not to spoil them, but your builds look impressive! I really need to make time for this game again...might be April or May at this stage though.
You know, I thought about that before posting but I ultimately don't think that this is a game that can be spoiled, really. Sure, you might see what the finished product looks like, but that's something that you would see anyway upon entering the level for the first time. What I mean is that you couldn't re-create my solution just from memory, realistically speaking.

Spoiler tagged just in case. I categorically refuse to give you another excuse to dodge this thread. :P

Oh, and going by your histograms, I think I understand why you might have felt burned out on the game. The last level you completed is one of the worst in the entire game.

Thankfully, you don't have to finish every single level in order to continue. My advice? Skip the whale and maybe another one of the bracket you're in until the game lets you pass and go straight for the juicy stuff that lies beyond.

It'll be worth it, I promise!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 12:03 pm You know, I thought about that before posting but I ultimately don't think that this is a game that can be spoiled, really. Sure, you might see what the finished product looks like, but that's something that you would see anyway upon entering the level for the first time. What I mean is that you couldn't re-create my solution just from memory, realistically speaking.
Yeah, for sure, though I can still remember the general approach for the one with the drill bits so I'll be using that if I get there!

My histograms?? You can see them now you're on PC, nnoooooooo! While I was playing through, I was thinking, 'At least KSub can't see these ROFL,' I seem to recall there was literally only ONE which was within the acceptable range! :lol:

My mindset is just on finishing rather than optmisation unfortunately.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: January 13th, 2020, 9:39 am My histograms?? You can see them now you're on PC, nnoooooooo! While I was playing through, I was thinking, 'At least KSub can't see these ROFL,' I seem to recall there was literally only ONE which was within the acceptable range! :lol:
"Concealed within his fortress, the judgmental prick sees all. His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and platform barriers. You know of what I speak, Chopper: a great Eye, lidless, wreathed in flame."

:lol:

...And why are you the only one courageous enough to step up to this game, anyway? *looks around nervously* Where is everyone?? :|
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Would love to play some more of this, but too many other games to play. Maybe one of these nights...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s a bit too much like the day job for me.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: January 14th, 2020, 8:16 am Would love to play some more of this, but too many other games to play. Maybe one of these nights...
:thumbsup:

Flabyo wrote: January 14th, 2020, 8:24 am It’s a bit too much like the day job for me.
Ah yes, that's perfectly fair. Didn't think of that. :)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Is there anything like this on Switch? It's not really my sort of thing, and my capacity for using my brain for extra-curricular activities seems to be waning by the day with the demands of my job and homelife, but it is infectious seeing you be so enthusiastic about it so I might look into it at some point.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: January 14th, 2020, 10:42 am Is there anything like this on Switch?
I had a quick look and it doesn't look all that great, unfortunately.

Infinifactory is PC/PS4 only. There are a few other open-ended programming puzzle games on Switch though, most notably Human Resource Machine and its sequel 7 Billion Humans, both of which I've heard good things about. But I would hesitate to recommend them as a substitute for Infinifactory, because in my experience there aren't really any 2D games which manage to scratch the exact same itch as that one, especially coming from a completely different developer.

Your best bet would be to grab the Steam version and play it on your laptop if you're interested, really. It is regularly 50% off in the various sales, sometimes even more.

One of a kind, this one.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cool. Well, you can play Clippa's role of alerting me if you see it cheap, maybe I'll give it a whirl sometime. I'm strangely drawn because of the name of the dev... One of my boys is called Zach so there's an automatic softspot for Zachtronics!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Significant improvement on my last solution, much cleaner and better synchronized this time.

Kinda proud. :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: January 15th, 2020, 1:10 am Is there a finite factory jnr edition?

"LEARN TO CREATE & COMBINE"

Don't step on it and you should be fine. I can PM instructions if necessary.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

In all seriousness, the game is not as unapproachable as it may look like from the outside. There are plenty of early stages that are significantly easier and less complex than the one I just posted. The game slowly eases you in and gets you used to its inner working before throwing you off the deep end.

I tried to showcase some examples of that in my introductory post on the first page. The Matthewmatosis video is excellent as always and he explains the core concept to complete newcomers very well.

And as the solid Eurogamer review very accurately points out:
In essence, these are logic board puzzles, and you are creating great chains of cause and effect. When you're grubby and lost midway through a solution, and your ideas lay scattered around the stage, Infinifactory tests your tenacity. But when you finally crack a solution, flick the switch to start the belts and watch as your wonder machine whirs into life, the rush of satisfaction is unusually quick. This is not a game that makes you feel smart so much as a game that draws the smart out of you; it surprises you with your own inventiveness. As a result, the moment that you complete a puzzle the egg timer of your resolve is flipped. You begin the next challenge fresh and heroically emboldened.

It's not a game for super smart players to look down on the unwashed masses and be smug about it. It's a game that will force you to develop and recognize your own ingenuity provided you are willing to invest a bit of time and patience into it. :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

That whole subset of games that basically boil down to using the same skill set I use when programming is something I’ve tended to not want to go into. I know I’m missing out on some great games because of that, it’s not a *rational* stance, but I look at something like Human Resource Machine and my brain goes ‘you literally just spent all day doing that, and now you want to do it all evening too?’. Heh.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 1:20 am
clippa wrote: January 15th, 2020, 1:10 am Is there a finite factory jnr edition?

"LEARN TO CREATE & COMBINE"

Don't step on it and you should be fine. I can PM instructions if necessary.
My son literally has this set :lol:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: January 15th, 2020, 7:56 am That whole subset of games that basically boil down to using the same skill set I use when programming is something I’ve tended to not want to go into. I know I’m missing out on some great games because of that, it’s not a *rational* stance, but I look at something like Human Resource Machine and my brain goes ‘you literally just spent all day doing that, and now you want to do it all evening too?’. Heh.
Yeah, I'm the same. I had a look at the other Zachtronics games and virtually all of them turn me off for that reason. Especially Human Resource Machine, I Noped out of that page quick-fast.

Infinifactory suckered me in because of the 'production line' mechanics, after I'd come from Factorio and supply/demand type games - and it does put an extra layer in between you and the logic: you have an end goal, you have pretty belts and levers, and you can get plenty out of it via the normal level goals and choose not to engage with the optimistaion if you don't want to (though I realise that is where it really shines).